UA's new CEO suffers heart attack

Two firsts for the airline industry...

Munoz was the first Latino CEO of a major airline, and now Hart is the the first black (acting) CEO of a major airline.

And no, Robert Johnson doesn't count since DC Air never took flight, and Juan Trippe wasn't Latino.

I wish Mr Munoz a speedy recovery to full health. Wow - just a month on the job.

Over on Flyertalk, some are saying that Hart's title of "Interim CEO" is revealing - that it's substantively different from the title they did not give him, which would have been "Acting CEO." I didn't read that much into it, but the rumours are that it means that Mr Munoz may not be returning.

FWAAA said:
I wish Mr Munoz a speedy recovery to full health. Wow - just a month on the job.

Over on Flyertalk, some are saying that Hart's title of "Interim CEO" is revealing - that it's substantively different from the title they did not give him, which would have been "Acting CEO." I didn't read that much into it, but the rumours are that it means that Mr Munoz may not be returning.
Its a high stress job with a lot of demands

if I just had a heart attack I am pretty sure I wouldn't go back....  

must of been pretty serious to be out that long - wish him a healthy and speedy recovery

Reactions: 1 person
whatkindoffreshhell said:
He should permanently resign as UA CEO.  The employees and company require the full attention now from their CEO.
It's not like Smisek was giving his full attention for the past five years...

The board selected Munoz for a reason. Why settle for someone else just because he had a heart attack and is recovering? There's currently an acting CEO, and I'm sure Munoz is getting his briefings as he recuperates.

People forget Herb Kelleher was getting cancer treatment about two years before he retired from WN. They seemed to do just fine without his full attention, so I think UA will probably manage for the two months or so before Munoz is back on the job.

Smisek was an idiot -- he jeopardized his employer and was fired.  Want that again??

Munoz was the familiar face on the board so he was a safe, quick choice.

How does anyone know how healthy Munoz is now?  Nobody saying nuthin...

Herb and WN had an established culture and everybody knew what to do.  Not so at UA.