Ummm, Don't Look Now

The problem is that flight attendants are easily replaced. You can bet that Northwest has trained and will continue to train replacements since AFA will not do any job action for 15 days. I think the NW stews are screwed if they continue this. And what NW management gets, AFA will agree to because it is all about dues. :down:
There are not nearly enough to replace the entire system. They can sit on the jumpseat and know how the services should run, but doing it is another story. Its not brain surgery, its also not as simple as it seems. One bad galley FA on a flight and the service falls apart even with seasoned FA's. A bunch of rookie wannabes, spells disaster.

God forbid a serious emergency. Ill passenger or emergency landing.

Remember, not too long ago the NWA mechanics had the same philosophy...STRIKE, we will shut down NWA! Also, consider that it is much more difficult to replace a licensed mechanic than a F/A. Sure, the F/A's claim that the group is too large to replaced. However, I guarantee that NWA has got thousands of F/A's fresh out of high school waiting to take the job and work for almost nothing. It is no longer a career folks, it's now a transitional job and will be for all airlines.

The fact is - NWA will play hard ball. F/A's will be replaced with a combination of foreign F/A's on ALL Int'l routes and local talent on domestic routes.

Hint - I am sure they have already trained on every NW aircraft model. Either parked in AZ and/or procedural training equipment at some empty warehouse in BFE.

How long would it really take to train a new F/A with absolutely no experience, perhaps 2 weeks???

Could someone in training please explain just how fast an airline could train F/A's in an EMERGENCY situation...
Mechanics had to get there A and P licensee Takes about 2 or more years of schoool to get the job. FA's do not. But an airline can outsource its maintenance work. The FA work group cannot be easily out sourced. Or quickly contracted out.

2 weeks will get you a qual on a single AC. Any alteration in training from what is on file with the FAA. Must be approved by them. Anyone know what kind of training NWA did with the wannabes?

How long would it really take to train a new F/A with absolutely no experience, perhaps 2 weeks???

Could someone in training please explain just how fast an airline could train F/A's in an EMERGENCY situation...

Two weeks may be a good estimate for a single aircraft type. Scab FAs would probably only be trained in emergency equipment, emergency procedures and evacuations for that type. You can probably forget about service being performed on any flights with the bare minimum in training.

There is a catch-22 to this as well. When we were on the night before CHAOS at AWA (I was on a MSP layover and remember how the NW pilots and FAs told us they would get us home if necessary :up: ), our pilots were determined to drill any replacement scab FAs on emergency equipment and procedures. If there was one error in their respnse, only one, the Captain would have them removed from the aircraft as a safety precaution.

Now...the one thing that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the time consuming (we are talking U.S. Government, after all) and mandatory FBI and TSA background and fingerprint checks. As I recall all applicants are required to be cleared before they ever set foot on an aircraft and these checks can sometimes take up to a month or longer to complete. Am I correct on this?

From this AFA member to our brothers and sisters at Northwest Airlines.....Give 'em Hell...we've got your back!

I see in the news the legal/illegal strike debate has begun.

Question to the NWA FAs:

Did your right to honor a legal picket line get changed or thrown out with the last TA(s)???

If not, then if the judge tries to block the strike, just stay out and exercise your contractual right to honor the AMFA picket line :up:

I see in the news the legal/illegal strike debate has begun.

Question to the NWA FAs:

Did your right to honor a legal picket line get changed or thrown out with the last TA(s)???

If not, then if the judge tries to block the strike, just stay out and exercise your contractual right to honor the AMFA picket line :up:

Amen TSH!!!

By the way, NW is willing to continue negotiations with the F/A's...

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1154475181.html

Think the possibility of CHAOS might have something to do with that? :)

I want to wish the flight attendants the best of luck in the next few weeks. Stand strong - stand united!

Ok, so now we have established that there is at least one union group at NW beside AMFA that has some guts. I wish all of you the best.

I just love how you guys can sit on the sidelines and applaud Northwest’s Flight Attendants for “standing upâ€￾ to Management when it’s not your livelihood on the line. What a bunch of pathetic hypocrites!

BTW, don’t give me any of that “standing up for the workerâ€￾ crap, either! If you truly believe that, there might be a job opening for you in Cuba shortly.

The NW Flight Attendants can Strike since NW changed pay and work rules. They can Strike against a BK carrier because NW changed pay and work rules. The 30 day Cooling-Off period does not apply in this situation. So, yes the 15 day notice serves as a warning and if they Strike it is LEGAL UNDER THE RLA!

I just love how you guys can sit on the sidelines and applaud Northwest’s Flight Attendants for “standing upâ€￾ to Management when it’s not your livelihood on the line. What a bunch of pathetic hypocrites!

BTW, don’t give me any of that “standing up for the workerâ€￾ crap, either! If you truly believe that, there might be a job opening for you in Cuba shortly.

IT'S CALLED UNITY!!

It seems Strato aka NW Management is scared he/she may have no job! Aww, what a pity for you pro-company management jerks!

Two weeks may be a good estimate for a single aircraft type. Scab FAs would probably only be trained in emergency equipment, emergency procedures and evacuations for that type.

Now...the one thing that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the time consuming (we are talking U.S. Government, after all) and mandatory FBI and TSA background and fingerprint checks. As I recall all applicants are required to be cleared before they ever set foot on an aircraft and these checks can sometimes take up to a month or longer to complete. Am I correct on this?

Yes, under normal circumstances a FBI fingerprint background check would take a few weeks. However, NWA will have this emergency process expedited to only a few days with the assistance of a non-government agency pushing the paper work through at Mach 3.

The new F/A's will satisfy the required background check prior to finishing the two week course.

Oh for God's sake..It was a 3-5 day walk out. You didn't have time to exchange phone numbers and recipes much less be really strike tested.

Who care's whether APFA or AFA's way is better. If you want to stop Airline Management greed come help us, we need your support!

Stratocruiser, I can assure you that my livelihood has been on the line - for the past 11+ months I have been on strike against NW. So, I feel that I have every right to applaud the F/A's in their fight against NW.

As for those who do not work at NW, I feel that they have every right to support the NWA flight attendants as well. I'm sure they all know that their employers are watching the events unfold at NW very closely. If NW is able to get away with screwing their F/A's on this occasion, every other airline will attempt to do the same to their unionized employees when their contracts come up.

BTW, your thinly veiled reference to unionism being akin to Communism is so 1950's...time to get into the 21st century (but it's something that I would expect a pro-managment lackey to say). :lol:

No rumor dear, they were there. Hey don't they have Gen-Fam classes in MSP as well? What the hell was NWA thinking when they sent us to Arizona?

You are such a liar. :down:

If they had the audacity to train the scabs where we go for our ART, then why would they risk having flight attendant trainees working on a real door and incur $30K in damages? (well with scab maintenance, those slides wouldn't probably work anyhow. )

Stop spreading this Horseshet, it's really retarded.

What you may fail to realize is that having/and or training replacements does nothing to help if you don't know where or when you may need them. The schedule WILLbe impacted.
i can picture it now! the scabs are awaiting in a school bus at the hubs, but the plane hasnt left phl due to an emergence landing then followed by the F/As chaos!! :up: :rolleyes: :D :p

You are such a liar. :down:

If they had the audacity to train the scabs where we go for our ART, then why would they risk having flight attendant trainees working on a real door and incur $30K in damages? (well with scab maintenance, those slides wouldn't probably work anyhow. )

Stop spreading this Horseshet, it's really retarded.
man Jenny, that'd be one he!! of a long fall from the hump of a 744 down to the ground! I guess its time to bring the parachutes on board or better yet, get those Flintstones type of planes ready! oh yeah, forgot, only problem with that is there are none! :up: :up: :lol: :p

Stellar spokesperson for alpo!
:lol:

I really don't have a dog in this fight. I work for a small airline which is not union, but treats us like humans. My best to the F/A's at NW because anyone who stands up to a bully is to be admired in my book. The maintenence scabs are just well ....ugh....terrible!

Two weeks may be a good estimate for a single aircraft type. Scab FAs would probably only be trained in emergency equipment, emergency procedures and evacuations for that type. You can probably forget about service being performed on any flights with the bare minimum in training.

There is a catch-22 to this as well. When we were on the night before CHAOS at AWA (I was on a MSP layover and remember how the NW pilots and FAs told us they would get us home if necessary :up: ), our pilots were determined to drill any replacement scab FAs on emergency equipment and procedures. If there was one error in their respnse, only one, the Captain would have them removed from the aircraft as a safety precaution.

From this AFA member to our brothers and sisters at Northwest Airlines.....Give 'em Hell...we've got your back!
"If there was one error in their respnse, only one, the Captain would have them removed from the aircraft as a safety precaution." [/color=#CC0000]Hey N903AW, I believe you would do this, but the pilots at NW? I heard too many stories of them going out of their way to help the scab mechs. Even helping them to fill out the log book properly. This info comes from CSA's that witnessed crap like that and more.