Union elections and the RLA....POLL!

Should union elections under the RLA be like every other election where you can vote YES/NO and the

• YES

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
democratic elections in this country are recurring,

(and I happen to agree that is the way it should be)
You are wasting your breath with this debate. Those that are waving the ridiculous democratic flag for this process is expectedly one sided only. Of course they wouldn't want recurring elections as done in a real democracy, rather a cancer that is impossible to rid.

Those that are waving the ridiculous democratic flag for this process is expectedly one sided only.

it is very easy to recognize it is one sided.. that was my point.

requesting the election process changed to a "democratic" way as every other election in this country while at the same time, proposing to keep the same process that would replace a union while expecting Congress to go along with that idea is unrealistic.

(card check is a prime example of expecting a process will change without issue)

Of course they wouldn't want recurring elections as done in a real democracy
I would have no issue with a recurring election at all... to me, generally the only ones who would have an issue with that would be those who are not confident their service is recognized effective.

This country is not a democracy, its a republic.

And you dont vote for President in an election do you?

Have you ever been part of a union and participated in negotiations under the RLA and Section 6?

If you have then you would know that what you propose would give the membership zero bargaining power and no incentive for the company to ever settle a CBA and just force the vote and vote out a union so they can do what they want with you.

Yes, the democratic elections conducted are recurring, you are not voting to change from a congress to lets say a czar regime...wait...scratch that.
Seriously, cost would increase if an election FOR the union representation would be recurring and who do you think would pay those costs?? Riiiggghhhtt. You, the union member would bear the burden of those costs in your dues. I also agree that the union would have virtual;ly no pwoer in negotiations. If a company would put enough money into a "dump the union" vote they can always threaten the union with that in their negotiations. The particular unions I have experience with would roll over like a beagle getting his tummy scratched.

democratic elections in this country are recurring,

(and I happen to agree that is the way it should be)

Have you ever been part of a union and participated in negotiations under the RLA and Section 6?

If you have then you would know that what you propose would give the membership zero bargaining power and no incentive for the company to ever settle a CBA and just force the vote and vote out a union so they can do what they want with you.

How is that? If the union proves their worth ala industry leading blah blah, then the workers could elect to keep them? Why so hard to understand? You want the supposed "democratic" yes/no voting process but not make it as easy to vote them out?

The unions want to change the process, so that could open the door to change any other aspect of the RLA, section 6 etc.

You just want to game the process to make it easier for the unions, not for the individual worker.

Of course not,the states do.
You only tell your state how it should vote.
Wrong again, you are voting for members of the electoral college and however majority of the people in the state vote is how those are suppose to vote.

The NRLA has yes/no vote and they dont vote on a union every time their CBA becomes amendable.

And the individual worker is the union.

And I guess you forget the RLA is set up to protect interstate commerce and favors business, not the employee.

there is basically one thing you can for certain negotiate and that is a decision. a decision how to address a solution to a problem or an issue that needs to be resolved..not promises.

the fact all these promises are made while this industry is affected by so many outside factors, such as gas prices, war, economy, recession, a global downturn..proves this..

until some are able to address and master decision making skills..

please sit down.

Apparently you keep avoiding the real issue at hand.

I asked you have you ever been part of a union under the RLA and negotiations under Section 6 or Section 1113?

I have, and been a member of the negotiating committee. I worked for US for 20 years in the mtc dept and been part numerous contract negotiations and worked under 4 different CBAs.

Do you know one time it took us 4 1/2 years to reach a new agreement one time?

Even was part of the CO FA IAM Negotiating Committee too.

If you dont have any strength and the RLA all ready puts the union behind the eight ball what you propose will not help you in anyway.

If you want to decertify you can do it under the RLA or propose a clear process like what is in the NLRA as to decertify, instead of handcuffing the union and screwing your coworkers.

Yes, the democratic elections conducted are recurring, you are not voting to change from a congress to lets say a czar regime...wait...scratch that.
Seriously, cost would increase if an election FOR the union representation would be recurring and who do you think would pay those costs?? Riiiggghhhtt. You, the union member would bear the burden of those costs in your dues. I also agree that the union would have virtual;ly no pwoer in negotiations. If a company would put enough money into a "dump the union" vote they can always threaten the union with that in their negotiations. The particular unions I have experience with would roll over like a beagle getting his tummy scratched.
fair enough.

so lets keep the process as it has been outlined at 50 percent plus one and stop referring to changing the process to a "democratic" way since they have no intentions following that format.

Lets see the NLRA has the yes/vote and there is nothing in the law that makes them vote on a union every time their CBA is up.

The RLA handcuffs the workers, you cant strike, your contracts dont expire and locations for employees are all over the country unlike the NLRA.

Keep avoiding question poised to you, sounds like a DL management plant to me now.

Apparently you keep avoiding the real issue at hand.

I asked you have you ever been part of a union under the RLA and negotiations under Section 6 or Section 1113?

I have, and been a member of the negotiating committee. I worked for US for 20 years in the mtc dept and been part numerous contract negotiations and worked under 4 different CBAs.

Do you know one time it took us 4 1/2 years to reach a new agreement one time?

Even was part of the CO FA IAM Negotiating Committee too.

If you dont have any strength and the RLA all ready puts the union behind the eight ball what you propose will not help you in anyway.

If you want to decertify you can do it under the RLA or propose a clear process like what is in the NLRA as to decertify, instead of handcuffing the union and screwing your coworkers.

So then the supposed democratic process rah rah is really smoke and mirrors then...right?

Never said it was democratic, but having a yes/no vote helps level the playing field a bit.

Go read up on the RLA and how it came about and it protects interstate commerce and business, not the unionized worker.