Union elections and the RLA....POLL!

Should union elections under the RLA be like every other election where you can vote YES/NO and the

• YES

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Never said it was democratic, but having a yes/no vote helps level the playing field a bit.

Go read up on the RLA and how it came about and it protects interstate commerce and business, not the unionized worker.
Thats just your opinion.

§ 151a. General purposes
The purposes of the chapter are:
(1) To avoid any interruption to commerce or to the operation of any carrier engaged therein;
(2) to forbid any limitation upon freedom of association among employees or any denial, as a condition of employment or otherwise, of the right of employees to join a labor organization;
(3) to provide for the complete independence of carriers and of employees in the matter of self-organization to carry out the purposes of this chapter-,
(4) to provide for the prompt and orderly settlement of all disputes concerning rates of pay, rules, or working conditions;
(5) to provide for the prompt and orderly settlement of all disputes growing out of grievances or out of the interpretation or application of agreements covering rates of pay, rules, or working conditions.

And if you believe that carriers dont interfere (closed door forced meetings, employees who are pro-union getting fired, etc...), I have a bridge in Brooklyn you can buy or some ocean front property in AZ.

And why do you keep avoiding the question?

what I think the issue here is simply some are confusing or do not fully understand electoral reform and democratic election.

electoral reform is probably the words (if some are seeking a sense of fairness that may/or may not need to be addressed based on personal opinions) and that should be used and what the focus should be, not attempting to change the process to a democratic election (and using that as a comparison) while skipping over the rest of what it necessary to define it.

And if you believe that carriers dont interfere (closed door forced meetings, employees who are pro-union getting fired, etc...), I have a bridge in Brooklyn you can buy or some ocean front property in AZ.

And why do you keep avoiding the question?
Whats the question?

Both you and Dignity are not answering if you ever worked under the RLA and been part of a union in the airline industry and have you ever been through the Section 6 or section 1113 negotiations?

And Dignity, you keep avoiding the comparisons to the NLRA and have a similar process for the RLA as the NLRA has, and you keep avioding the fact the RLA handcuffs the membership of a union in the airline industry.

Dignity it is changing it to a Democratic process.

As others have said, you can't have an automatic election everytime negotiations come up. Its like saying....lets have a union vote everytime management cuts your pay and benefits.

There needs to be a decertification process, but just like the union must provide a showing of interest to certify the union, the anti-union workers must provide a showing of interest to de-certify the union. 35% for both, then a YES/NO ballot.

Dignity it is changing it to a Democratic process.
but the Democratic process involves a little more than just the way an initial election is handled.

As others have said, you can't have an automatic election everytime negotiations come up.
but we have managed three unions on the property in less than 10 years.

so I really fail to understand why an automatic election would be an issue and with all due respect..your point.

(especially if a democratic process is the goal and it is being requested to change to that format by Congress)

but the Democratic process involves a little more than just the way an initial election is handled.

but we have managed three unions on the property in less than 10 years.

so I really fail to understand why an automatic election would be an issue and with all due respect..your point.

(especially if a democratic process is the goal and it is being requested to change to that format by Congress)

Richard Anderson's "Crocodile Tears"
http://bapwild.com/blog/

There needs to be a decertification process, but just like the union must provide a showing of interest to certify the union, the anti-union workers must provide a showing of interest to de-certify the union. 35% for both
... so when this is taken to Congress just expect they are not just going to address the request an election format to be changed.. to the "Democratic process" rather than they will consider and actually debate and possibly change all of it.

I personally feel we need to separate ourselves from the railroads and create a National Aviation Labor Act (NALA) and build one together with Congress, especially after EFCA passes this fall.

The reason you have had 3 unions is because the people that wanted to leave the Teamsters to go to AFA or another AFL-CIO union could not do so without going to an independent union firts.

I personally feel we need to separate ourselves from the railroads and create a National Aviation Labor Act (NALA) and build one together with Congress, especially after EFCA passes this fall.
that will probably happen in about 20 plus years.. (maybe)

The reason you have had 3 unions is because the people that wanted to leave the Teamsters to go to AFA or another AFL-CIO union could not do so without going to an independent union firts.
thats news to me.. but,

but we lost an industry leading contract in that process

so...

I am thinking we should have never left them in the first place.

Richard Anderson's "Crocodile Tears"
http://bapwild.com/blog/
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, thats all AFA has been doing all along...stamped feet and crying “no fair�.

democratic_crybaby_seal.jpg

Both you and Dignity are not answering if you ever worked under the RLA and been part of a union in the airline industry and have you ever been through the Section 6 or section 1113 negotiations?
Nope, what difference does it make? You want change only in one aspect, only to game it in favor of the unions. If they make that change why not make sweeping changes to the whole RLA?