Union Raps American Airlines Over Job, Salary Cuts

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
DALLAS (AP)--One of American Airlines' big unions says the carrier has broken a promise that management would share the pain of job and salary cuts equally with rank-and-file workers.

A consultant hired by the Transport Workers Union found that union jobs were cut by 18.1% from December 2002 to April of this year, compared with 12.7% for managers who work with mechanics and other TWU members.

The consultant also said American Airlines data showed that mechanics had their pay cut 15% while managers who supervised them suffered an average pay cut of 5.5% in a restructuring last year. Company executives credited the restructuring with saving the airline from bankruptcy.

However, Eclat Consulting also reached some conclusions that the union didn't like. It said TWU workers started out with higher wages -compared to other airlines -than management salaries. As a result, it took smaller cuts to bring American's managers in line with prevailing salaries, the consultant said.

American's senior executives "are now among the lower paid airline management teams in the industry," the consultant concluded.

The consultant also said American had achieved its target of cutting $100 million in management costs.

Still, the director of the union's Air Transport Division, which represents about 30,000 of American's 89,600 employees, said Friday that American had reneged on a promise that management would share sacrifices with ordinary workers.

"Management takes holidays while our members are working," union leader James C. Little said in a letter to Jeff Brundage, the company's senior vice president of human resources. "Our members took deeper wage and benefit cuts than management. In many work areas, the ratio of supervisors to union members seems to have increased since 2003."

American said it doubted some of the numbers cited by the union, but it didn't offer details to dispute the union's claims.

"We've had a good, ongoing dialogue with our unions and independent employee groups on any number of issues, including management reductions," said an airline spokeswoman, Jacquie Young. "Some of the numbers in this release don't seem to match up with what we know, and so we'll go back and compare notes with Jim and the TWU team."

This just a ploy by the TWU to convince its members that their doing something to help them out. The TWU knows AA will be laying off management in January so they're complaining now so they can say in January, "look what we forced AA to do".

Oneflyer said:
This just a ploy by the TWU to convince its members that their doing something to help them out. The TWU knows AA will be laying off management in January so they're complaining now so they can say in January, "look what we forced AA to do".
[post="203563"][/post]​

I agree. Its the same stunt that they pulled at the "Without further ratification" charade. Little ran around claiming that he got Carty fired for lying to them about the executive golden parachutes. Then they (the TWU) went to court to make sure that the concessions stayed in place.

So how does firing management help us or those who are laid off?

I suppose that the TWU will claim it as a victory that they put more people on the unemployment roles.

One minute they are telling us to give up everything to save jobs, then they are demanding that the company eliminate more jobs.

Their arguement should have been that AA had better find more work to keep everyone here and call back laid off workers as other workers retire because the reason why AA got more concessions than any other airline was with the understanding that it was going to save jobs. Between layoffs and attrition we have lost thousands of jobs, which makes our "contribution" well above the figure agreed upon.

Obviously this is merely another TWU smokescreen.

Shared sacrifice? Little should talk, he got a raise and then a promotion for screwing us.

I don't think AA management has any strategic plan other than "keep breathing" for the next few minutes. Jet fuel prices, I think, have completely jammed the gears of anything they were trying to do. Unless oil prices come down at least $15 a barrel, AA is going to be where US Air is right now . . . . . about a month from turning the lights out. 80% of the airline industry is likely to implode with the depressed ticket prices and jet fuel prices.

Bush's game of subsidizing WAY too much capacity in the system in order to emasculate the labor unions is going to backfire. Of course, he could just try and push through an open skies legislation and allow foreign airlines to come in and take over. This seems to be more in line with his economic war against the middle class wager earner in this country.

jimntx said:
Management took less of a cut than labor??? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you! Alert the media! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
[post="203696"][/post]​
Don't be shocked. Seems that massive lay-off on 360 was just transfered to DFW. There are more new CSMs around here. They actually look indignant when I ask them who they are and check their IDs. :D

Wretched Wrench said:
I wish the TWU would do something for us rather than late, weak press releases.
[post="203730"][/post]​
Well poor poor Little is out there trying to herd cats! Its not his fault, its the members, its the economy, its fuel, its LCCs, its reality, its the election, its the company, its Hall,its AMFA, its anything and everything except Jim Littles fault.

You know the old saying; "People who are good at making up excuses usually arent much good at anything else".

Wretched Wrench said:
I wish the TWU would do something for us rather than late, weak press releases.
[post="203730"][/post]​

The twu is doing something. They continue to insulate the international officers that are APPOINTED and make 6 figure salaries. The twu continues to claim they accepted concessions to save jobs while we lose more employees.

The twu is in league with the company. Pure and simple. What do you expect from a union that instead of attending a debate with a craft union wishing to represent the AMTs they paraded a coffin up a Tulsa street then chanting, "To the doors and stop! To the doors and stop!"?

Ken MacTiernan said:
The twu is doing something. They continue to insulate the international officers that are APPOINTED and make 6 figure salaries. The twu continues to claim they accepted concessions to save jobs while we lose more employees.

The twu is in league with the company. Pure and simple. What do you expect from a union that instead of attending a debate with a craft union wishing to represent the AMTs they paraded a coffin up a Tulsa street then chanting, "To the doors and stop! To the doors and stop!"?
[post="203798"][/post]​

Ken!!!...you forgot to mention those TWU supporting cowards that hide behind their aliases!...I think that was a first for you buddy...the support time seems to be working. :D

Drippy Quill said:
Ken!!!...you forgot to mention those TWU supporting cowards that hide behind their aliases!...I think that was a first for you buddy...the support time seems to be working. :D
[post="203884"][/post]​

Thanks drippy. That's right. The only supporters of the twu are those who are afraid of stating their identity when making slanderous posts or posting lies and half truths.

drippy included. :ph34r:

The burning question: Why does the twu continue to use ECLAT? These are the same consultants which management hired to tell us how broke we are, and the twu hires the same people? Must have been a "package deal".

Could it be that AA management and the the twu are one and the same? I knew it!!!! :shock: