Unions dig in for Delta fight

2BlacknBlue

Senior
Oct 4, 2007
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...elta_labor.html

Unions dig in for Delta fight

Representation is deeply ingrained in the culture at merger partner Northwest.

By KELLY YAMANOUCHI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/06/08

As Delta Air Lines works toward its proposed merger with Northwest Airlines, labor unions at the highly unionized Northwest are ramping up efforts to organize employees at the largely nonunion Delta.

MOD NOTE: Please do not post an entire article, as it could violate copyright laws. A link and a fair use excerpt are fine. Thank you.

Will someone, again remind me how having a union benefitted the mechanics at NW ? :huh:

And also remind me how the other unions back these mechanics ?

Will someone, again remind me how having a union benefitted the mechanics at NW ? :huh:

Oh...about the same as the "10 times better" deal the only Union at Delta got vs. your crumbs. Moreover, I've noticed how you have selected memory when it comes to recalling union action at NW. Or can you just not grasp the notion of Federal Judges joining ranks with corporate America as in the one that presided over UAL Bk. and has been indicted for corruption. If you care not to note the entire story, keep quiet, it makes one look awfully uninformed. Dummy union rank at NW took the Delta path thinking "well, if we don't support the mechanics management will leave us alone, don't rock the boat (which was a sign of weakness for your new bosses thus their plan to pick them all off one by one...as they did). A house divided is a house fallen.

As to your second request, you better hope you have a Union down the road with your new bosses cause you will surely taste a "hit the bricks" sandwich sooner than you think. You really have no idea what kind of monster has taken over your house.

Already been discussed to death on this site....

Since you come across as a bit slow, here's some help:

1. Read NxNW's post.

2. Read anyone of the many many threads discussing this on this board.

Do your research, and you can find info/perspectives from: AMT's, IAM members, F/A's, pilots, management and more...

By the way, why do you ask questions while *still* refusing to answer the ones asked of you?

I have read a lot of the posts mentioned by other folks,but I have yet to see how the union has helped AMTs,or how anyone else supported them.

I have read a lot of the posts mentioned by other folks,but I have yet to see how the union has helped AMTs,or how anyone else supported them.
It helped a lot of them get out of the airline business, seems there is too much BS involved these days that the future just looks/looked grim! :up:

We (AMT's) made the decision at NWA that we were not willing to sell out half of our workforce, or take huge pay cuts. We were not supported by the other unions. They have since been picked off one-by-one. We were replaced by scabs. End of story. Delta AMT's would never be making what they are today if it were not for the AMFA contract at NWA. I am now very happily employed outside of the airlines, although still in the regulatory environment of them.

We (AMT's) made the decision at NWA that we were not willing to sell out half of our workforce, or take huge pay cuts. We were not supported by the other unions. They have since been picked off one-by-one. We were replaced by scabs. End of story. Delta AMT's would never be making what they are today if it were not for the AMFA contract at NWA. I am now very happily employed outside of the airlines, although still in the regulatory environment of them.

Thank you for your sacrifice I wish your brothers would have stood beside you.
They helped screw you,I say screw them.

Thank you for your sacrifice I wish your brothers would have stood beside you.
They helped screw you,I say screw them.
That is already happening with this merger. Having to work with people like you and your piss poor knowledge of the happenings at NWA is punishment enough.

That is already happening with this merger. Having to work with people like you and your piss poor knowledge of the happenings at NWA is punishment enough.

Sorry if I missed it but did you say you didn't cross the AMFA picket line?

Sorry if I missed it but did you say you didn't cross the AMFA picket line?
No picket line to cross in my station. We have never had techs in my city. Pushback, airstarts, oil service, and cleaning were and are jobs under my contract. Some of us were ready to go home if AMFA set up a line here, it never happend, and talk is cheap. I wish the IAM leadership at the time would have seen that 2005 was the time to put up a stand to Rich and Doug. The AMFA had no choice but to strike when faced with the alternitives, I just wish the AMFA leadership would have asked for some more help.

For what it is worth the AMFA leadership did ask for help. Dell sent a letter to the IAM leadership asking them to stand with them against the attack on the employees of NWA. In it Dell even referenced the fact that the AMFA honored an IAM stike against Ozark.

The IAM leadership feeling slighted by the AMFA "raid" of its members decided to watch, and hope, that the AMFA stike failed.

Oh...about the same as the "10 times better" deal the only Union at Delta got vs. your crumbs. Moreover, I've noticed how you have selected memory when it comes to recalling union action at NW. Or can you just not grasp the notion of Federal Judges joining ranks with corporate America as in the one that presided over UAL Bk. and has been indicted for corruption. If you care not to note the entire story, keep quiet, it makes one look awfully uninformed. Dummy union rank at NW took the Delta path thinking "well, if we don't support the mechanics management will leave us alone, don't rock the boat (which was a sign of weakness for your new bosses thus their plan to pick them all off one by one...as they did). A house divided is a house fallen.

As to your second request, you better hope you have a Union down the road with your new bosses cause you will surely taste a "hit the bricks" sandwich sooner than you think. You really have no idea what kind of monster has taken over your house.

I guess those crumbs include what you get with your union. Where was your negotiating power in this merger? It does suck that the pilots get 10 times more; totally agree with that but the AFA sucks wind at negotiating anyway. If we ever are to get a union at Delta, I sure as hell hope it's not the AFA.

I guess those crumbs include what you get with your union. Where was your negotiating power in this merger? It does suck that the pilots get 10 times more; totally agree with that but the AFA sucks wind at negotiating anyway. If we ever are to get a union at Delta, I sure as hell hope it's not the AFA.
Ok, then which union?