Unions in trouble

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. – Thomas Jefferson

The difference is that many union members are conservatives and do not want to support the Left. The TWU contractually has made the members dues and representation mandatory as a condition of employment which creates a "Closed Shop"

The Agency Fee is the first step for those who can at least get a portion of those dues refunded that are non-germane
to representation. The value of goods and service used for political propagation will be returned, however, the union is the auditor.

ARTICLE 38 – UNION SECURITY (a) All employees covered by this Agreement will, as a condition of employment, maintain membership in the Union so long as this Agreement remains in effect, to the extent of paying an initiation fee and membership dues (not including fines and penalties), or agency fees in accordance with applicable law. etc..

Isn't it funny Buck that when many of us became dues objectors we were getting over 25% of our dues back but as time went on it was magically reduced to about 12%?

Isn't it funny Buck that when many of us became dues objectors we were getting over 25% of our dues back but as time went on it was magically reduced to about 12%?
Well, you see you were getting back the money spent on political activities and candidates. The union was forced to cut back on such expenditures because raises were due for union management. Priorities, gentlemen; Priorities.:rolleyes:

I have always supported the idea of aircraft maintenance unionised as a trade like any other. Even where I work there is a maintenance delegate but we come under the drivers and operators. The electricians, tin knockers, painters etc. are treated as tradework and work out of a hall on a permanent basis. Trade union members are there because they want to be, not because they have too.

What is going to be will be but after over 35 years in the workforce I have yet to see a positive trend union or non union. The city I grew up in is completely one of haves now as the effective living wage without government assistance is $27 an hour. A dump apartment is $2,000-3000 a month. A whole generation is out there now without any retirement security and the contingent workforce is approaching 30 million. These people will be in the majority within 10 years as the boomers pass on. It will be interesting too see how they react. I think worrying about unions is fighting the last war at this point.

What is going to be will be but after over 35 years in the workforce I have yet to see a positive trend union or non union. The city I grew up in is completely one of haves now as the effective living wage without government assistance is $27 an hour. A dump apartment is $2,000-3000 a month. A whole generation is out there now without any retirement security and the contingent workforce is approaching 30 million. These people will be in the majority within 10 years as the boomers pass on. It will be interesting too see how they react. I think worrying about unions is fighting the last war at this point.
Unions are going to morph into a lawfirm agent business arrangement, getting you a pay scale, it will eventually be impossible to strike and you just have binding Arbitration, and this is your contract.

Unions are going to morph into a lawfirm agent business arrangement, getting you a pay scale, it will eventually be impossible to strike and you just have binding Arbitration, and this is your contract.

You cannot strike now..
the last strike at AA was in 1968. The government will not let a union strike stop airline traffic.

I have always supported the idea of aircraft maintenance unionised as a trade like any other. Even where I work there is a maintenance delegate but we come under the drivers and operators. The electricians, tin knockers, painters etc. are treated as tradework and work out of a hall on a permanent basis. Trade union members are there because they want to be, not because they have too.

It is totally not workable as an A@P at an airline to have a union. I did almost 20 years under the iam then AMFA at NWA. First the Railway Labor Act makes it a nightmare you cannot walk out the day your contract ends because under the RLA is becomes "amendable" and airlines exploit this to the max take a look at SWA and AA how many years have they been negotiating? The airlines will never pay an A@P full retro so it is in their best interest to drag it out. Second an A@P is not classified under the NMB as a complete and separate class it is lumped under "mechanics and related" so you wind up watering down the membership with non certificated personal. Every other FAA certificated airman has their own class and craft except for us. I have spent the last 12 years as a non union A@P and make far more than I did under a union even though I sit behind a desk now. Until the they do something with the RLA and class the A@P as a complete and separate entity I will never advocate working for a union carrier at an airline at least as an A@P.

I agree. I worked for AA from 93-08 and worked for 2nd string outfits since 86. I only left to take the job with the transit authority because I was title 2 and the older guys with Eastern and Pan Am and TWA convinced me. I figured it would be my last shot at a pension. I'm 50 now and can get out in 13 years so that's it for me even though I keep my journeymans. The problem is though many states are staggering under pension obligations. Even if you paid into social security for decades at most you can collect a third if you are in a gov job. The state also takes 11% for funding. I tested with 1000 guys and they hired 26 of us and I am proud of that but I wouldn't encourage anybody to take the route I took.

Reactions: B737 driver