Unions in trouble

Kev the EIG and peer review allows for input.

Josh
If your a retard and you don't pull your weight, you don't make probation. If you are a supervisor and you keep screwing up, and you get to the paint shop, and you screw up, the next step is out the door.

Kev the EIG and peer review allows for input.

Josh

You don’t seriously buy in to that being anything more than smoke and mirrors of the illusion of control do you?

Forget about the Union conversation the fact is if you don’t have a Legally enforceable employment agreement to protect your job, you really have nothing at all besides at will/ hopefully good will.

You don’t seriously buy in to that being anything more than smoke and mirrors of the illusion of control do you?

Forget about the Union conversation the fact is if you don’t have a Legally enforceable employment agreement to protect your job, you really have nothing at all besides at will/ hopefully good will.

You seriously are out of touch if you think that. Roughly 87% of the working population doesn’t have a CBA or individual employment contract and still enjoys protection like OSHA, Fair Labor Standards, equal opportunity, and non-discrimination polices.

Generally if people show up on-time, perform the task they’ve paid to do, are reasonably pleasant and don’t steal you will be fine.

As an aside I always love the remarkable coincidence that so many union reps, Business agents, etc are “disabled” and manage to double dip on employer, government and in some cases workers compensation benefits yet still have the physical ability to stand for hours in (paid) pickets. It’s truly astounding.

Josh

You seriously are out of touch if you think that. Roughly 87% of the working population doesn’t have a CBA or individual employment contract and still enjoys protection like OSHA, Fair Labor Standards, equal opportunity, and non-discrimination polices.

Generally if people show up on-time, perform the task they’ve paid to do, are reasonably pleasant and don’t steal you will be fine.

As an aside I always love the remarkable coincidence that so many union reps, Business agents, etc are “disabled” and manage to double dip on employer, government and in some cases workers compensation benefits yet still have the physical ability to stand for hours in (paid) pickets. It’s truly astounding.

Josh

Oh give me a break man. Go work in a Right to Work State without an employment agreement and little educational value and see how far you go even with having a great smile.

How many older Americans get “downsized” despite their education and don’t stand a chance trying to prove it was age discrimination? My Aunt was a VP at DuPont working in the Empire State Building and she got hit back in the 90’s with that “Downsizing” crap. She never fully recovered.

And on your last paragraph I don’t touch unproven Political BS no matter what sheepie ideologies want to push them. Too many Sheep (Bah) in BOTH camps for me. Take the Politics up to the Water Cooler if you need to wrestle people.

Sure, except for not having a CBA, no grievance process, employees not having a real say on things like safety & health, and so on...
I agree Kev. And these are valid and to some huge points. Work rules, bidding, time off, days off etc... But even more important would be safety and health.
Not to mention that all the mechanics left at NWA were scabs that crossed the picket lines along with the TWU and IAM. The rest of the mechanics that were still on strike never got their jobs back, therefore never retained any seniority with the newly merged Delta/NWA.

I agree Kev. And these are valid and to some huge points. Work rules, bidding, time off, days off etc... But even more important would be safety and health.
Not to mention that all the mechanics left at NWA were scabs that crossed the picket lines along with the TWU and IAM. The rest of the mechanics that were still on strike never got their jobs back, therefore never retained any seniority with the newly merged Delta/NWA.
That was their plan all along, they busted AMFA and the ones that crossed or were hired , got all their seniority. Proving to the Delta guys they don't need a union. The rest was payback from the industrial unions to AMFA, for being a raider union.

Josh,
May I ask how long you have been employed by Delta? And what you position is? Not all union members do as you have described above. But, with our line of work and conditions I am very glad we have the options available to us to use those programs when we can seriously injured on the job. Here's a prime example AND a very vital example of what Kev is referring to about safety and health:
Mechanic gets injured at work, cannot return to work unless he gets back to 100%, then what? Sir we need options in our line of work, period. I am not saying Delta would EVER do this but, they could list the employee as "abandoned job position". I have seen it done.

Josh,
May I ask how long you have been employed by Delta? And what you position is? Not all union members do as you have described above. But, with our line of work and conditions I am very glad we have the options available to us to use those programs when we can seriously injured on the job. Here's a prime example AND a very vital example of what Kev is referring to about safety and health:
Mechanic gets injured at work, cannot return to work unless he gets back to 100%, then what? Sir we need options in our line of work, period. I am not saying Delta would EVER do this but, they could list the employee as "abandoned job position". I have seen it done.

Swamt,
I don’t work for DL but was speaking generally. My comments on stewards/Business agents/etc was more relating to the building trades (IBEW, Laborers, etc) around the Boston area than the airlines. It often seems many labor activists have experienced some type of alleged injury or disability yet still manage to be active at pickets. Perhaps it’s just a remarkable coincidence.

I have nothing against unions who deliver for their membership, add value and work collaboratively with the company. But when unions like the IAM enter into agreements like at McGee or United Ground Express that don’t come with a membership vote, and impose outrageous work rules and terms of employment while the union rides high on the RLA and still collects dues it’s clear unions are losing it.

Josh

Swamt,
I don’t work for DL but was speaking generally. My comments on stewards/Business agents/etc was more relating to the building trades (IBEW, Laborers, etc) around the Boston area than the airlines. It often seems many labor activists have experienced some type of alleged injury or disability yet still manage to be active at pickets. Perhaps it’s just a remarkable coincidence.

I have nothing against unions who deliver for their membership, add value and work collaboratively with the company. But when unions like the IAM enter into agreements like at McGee or United Ground Express that don’t come with a membership vote, and impose outrageous work rules and terms of employment while the union rides high on the RLA and still collects dues it’s clear unions are losing it.

Josh

Those union should have been fired for not allowing the membership vote and just imposing the contracts. Matter fact I do believe Jim Little has pulled that card out with the AAers.
On your injury question, most all companies require a note from the Dr. that says you are 100% able to perform all your duties required to be performed. When guys don't get the 100% by the Dr. and they can walk for a short period, sit for awhile, walk some more, sit for longer etc... See what I mean. Most employers for aircraft mechanics can't have that on the job in aviation maint. just requires too much to sit and take breaks all the time while aircraft are coming and going at very fast turn arounds like we have at LF as well as other stations. Hope that helps.

Those union should have been fired for not allowing the membership vote and just imposing the contracts. Matter fact I do believe Jim Little has pulled that card out with the AAers.
On your injury question, most all companies require a note from the Dr. that says you are 100% able to perform all your duties required to be performed. When guys don't get the 100% by the Dr. and they can walk for a short period, sit for awhile, walk some more, sit for longer etc... See what I mean. Most employers for aircraft mechanics can't have that on the job in aviation maint. just requires too much to sit and take breaks all the time while aircraft are coming and going at very fast turn arounds like we have at LF as well as other stations. Hope that helps.
I will say SWA is pretty good at taking care of their employees in maintenance that have gotten hurt, or have had surgeries finding them something to do, at least in the bigger maintenance stations.

Reactions: WeAAsles
"Matter fact I do believe Jim Little has pulled that card out with the AAers." It was the AFl-CIo puppet master Trumka that was responsible for dictating mainly to the TWu the IAm needed saving, therefore they need to "avoid a long and protracted representational election at AA". Which really was the cover for "Save the IAm and it's failing IAmPF". Which is why there was no vote as they promised, and TWu Local 591 filed a lawsuit to stop the Association from being imposed on the membership, but failed. The AA pilots don't have an "Association", and neither do the F/As. If they don't produce with 2 AFl-CIo unions, then the AMFA drive will be starting soon. We have been under TWu never seen before major concessions for nearly 15 years, and this contract better be really really good....or card drive full on press.

Last edited:
"Matter fact I do believe Jim Little has pulled that card out with the AAers." It was the AFl-CIo puppet master Trumka that was responsible for dictating mainly to the TWu the IAm needed saving, therefore they need to "avoid a long and protracted representational election at AA". Which really was the cover for "Save the IAm and it's failing IAmPF". Which is why there was no vote as they promised, and TWu Local 591 filed a lawsuit to stop the Association from being imposed on the membership, but failed. The AA pilots don't have an "Association", and neither do the F/As. If they don't produce with 2 AFl-CIo unions, then the AMFA drive will be starting soon. We have been under TWu never seen before major concessions for nearly 15 years, and this contract better be really really good....or card drive full on press.
If it sucks, do you think you have enough, unlike what happened in 2012, and how much would the USAIR/ America West guys, want to chance that, don't they have a better contract since they are the IAM, than Americans TWU. Plus what better negotiating tactics can you guarantee AMFA can get a deal done. Your Association is going to point out AMFA faults, plus what guarantee can you make that the same people wouldn't be in charge.

You've posted 688 times in 3 months driver. We clearly see your agenda. Did AMFA boot you out of office or something? You sound kinda bitter.

Just sayin" :)

Latest posts