United conserving cash while angering both customers and employees

Discussion in 'United Airlines' started by jimntx, May 17, 2020.

1. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

#1 jimntx, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    What could possible go wrong?

Cranky Flyer's take on cash conservation moves at United.
    https://crankyflier.com/2020/05/11/uniteds-short-sighted-efforts-to-preserve-cash-at-all-costs/

Observation by CF that requires some thought...
    "If any airline comes out of this without filing for bankruptcy protection, it will be a victory." Link that to Boeing CEO prediction that at least one major airline will go under this year. Doesn't sound like Fall is going to be just college football and Thanksgiving.

2. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

Keep in mind Brett's current business as a concierge for customers means he has to hear about it when his customers don't qualify for a refund, so he's probably looking at this thru a different lens than the average person because he's not able to help out as many people booked on UA as he can who are booked on AA or DL..

It's hard to blame UA for what's going on, and the employees I know aren't resentful for the situation. Let's see how that tune changes after the layoff decisions are made in July. Two of the people I know have already decided that the voluntary offer is better than uncertainty, so they're pulling their own plug on their own terms. I know a couple of others on the bubble, and at least one who already stumbled into a better job offer and left without waiting for the buyout to be announced. If involuntary layoffs are kept to a minimum, that resentment Brett talks about might be minimized.

3. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

Good points. Wait and see is the watch word of the day. And the earlier that some get their name in the pot for current job openings, the better. In my 5 career work history, there were at least 2 changes that I knew I was not going to be retained in the shake-up, so why not wave a fond farewell and try another company? I just did it a little more extremely by effecting wildly different job changes (the jobs were so different it's why I considered them career changes. Example: last change was from senior systems analyst in a major oil company's IT department to a flight attendant at American Airlines.)

4. truth 101

truth 101 Newbie

It’s not hard to blame ual at all, actually it’s quite easy!
    31 year A/C mechanic! ESOP , pension. And more. I don’t forget I learn from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Buck

Buck Veteran
    Contributor

" UAL 30 year AMT’s are being offered $500 k " to leave?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. truth 101

truth 101 Newbie

Brother I don’t know what medication you’re on but please don’t work on aircraft! 500k ?? Yeah right! lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

There's no world I can imagine where it would make sense to do that versus following the contract and laying off by juniority.

Three to six months salary? Maybe. Not three to six years, though.

8. truth 101

truth 101 Newbie

The poster ( Buck) is the typical moron or escapee from a mental asylum! Ual offering anything decent not in the playbook! Managed by serious CROOKS that spend the first 10 minutes of a video or townhall congratulating each other! Freaking pathetic idiots!
    Kirby crying is one for the ages! lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

Buck's a good guy. He phrased it in the form of a question.

You must be a lot of fun to share a Ready Room with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Buck

Buck Veteran
    Contributor

The poster ( truth 101) is the typical moron or escapee from a mental asylum!

11. Buck

Buck Veteran
    Contributor

12. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

Sounds like someone who needs to take the VSP that Buck posted.

13. swamt

swamt Veteran

Maybe 50K. Not 500K.

I see no where in this offer that would lead anyone to an offer of 500K early out. Am I missing something?