United Recalling 300 Flight Attendants!

wrx

Senior
Sep 19, 2003
Some good news for UAL flight attendants!

United Recalling 300 Flight Attendants
Associated Press

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, Ill. - United Airlines is recalling about 300 flight attendants who were on voluntary furlough.

The flight attendants will return to duty effective Dec. 1, spokesman Jason Schechter said Tuesday. He did not immediately provide further details.

The Association of Flight Attendants, in disclosing the recalls to members, said on its Web site that the changes are being made because United, similar to other carriers, plans to increase aircraft hours in December.

"This is positive news for our airline and our jobs, although we absolutely recognize the difficulties associated with a shorter-than-planned furlough for some of our most junior members," the AFA said on its Web site.

United has been restructuring under federal bankruptcy protection since last December. The nation's No. 2 airline has said it hopes to emerge from Chapter 11 in the first half of 2004.

United shares closed up 5 cents at $1.07 each in over-the-counter trading Tuesday.

ON THE NET

www.united.com

www.unitedafa.org

Probably not good news. We have no one on involuntary leaves. All people on leaves requested them. Soooo, regardless of what they have going on in their lives, they must come back in December (with no guarantee of January) or be fired. That stinks....they just got this leave effective in August. They are bringing the 300 most junior back first......the group most likely to have gone back to school. Aren't finals in December? Thanks United! :angry:

Amazing, someone complaining about having to go back to work. There are a lot of us junior pilots that would love to be called back.

No, you didn't read the post Herk. We have NO ONE on involuntary furlough. Everyone on furlough wants to be there. The company offered voluntary furloughs up to 4 years. Many junior flight attendants decided to have a "Plan B" by going back to school..........with finals in December, this can be a majorly bad situation for them. To spend a semester in school and not be able to properly prepare for finals (or even be in the same country during the actual tests) is a HUGE loss for them. Not only in GPA but also the money they spent to attend school in the first place.

Hey, who asked me? But why not open the 300 slots to whomever WANTS to work in December instead of FORCING the 300 most junior? I know many flight attendant MOMS who would love to work one month for some extra holiday spending money. If they still could not find 300 people (as if, aren't there 6000 out?) then the most junior would make more sense.

I have a suggestion: How about canning the planner who said we needed all these voluntary furloughs!

Your reply does make more sense to open it up for voluntary recall. That's why the company probably would never do it.

Those flight attendants who are in school can always return then call in sick for finals week!! It seems the "FLU" season could be a bad one this year.

Those flight attendants who are in school can always return then call in sick for finals week!! It seems the "FLU" season could be a bad one this year.

:lol: :D :p :up: That's so funny. But, I sure hope no one would do that in such an important time for airlines. But, it was still funny. hehe

while on the topic, make that 350 FAs. Also the latest pilot furlough date will be delayed slightly.
:ph34r:

I know that it is good news to se that UAL is recalling 300 F/A's, but is it due to increased flying or that that some are retiring/quitting? My cousin is now leaving after 25 years and she stated she knew of 6 others that were "getting out" before Christmas. Could these 300 just be to replace everyone who has gone between Sept. and Dec.? Just my 2 cents..........

coolflyingfool Posted on Oct 23 2003, 02:13 PM
I know that it is good news to se that UAL is recalling 300 F/A's, but is it due to increased flying or that that some are retiring/quitting? My cousin is now leaving after 25 years and she stated she knew of 6 others that were "getting out" before Christmas. Could these 300 just be to replace everyone who has gone between Sept. and Dec.? Just my 2 cents..........

I'm surprised that anyone would retire at this stage. United gave us a very nice offer to leave before July 1st. Those who stayed knew it would take an additional 5 years of full-time work to equal what was offered up until July. So, for anyone to leave now would mean they are going to lose a lot of money.......forever. Pretty bad planning on their parts. I wish them luck.

Now for the burning question.......How did my seniority go up thousands of numbers systemwide but my domicile seniority just sat there....doing nothing...staring back at me...idle? :blink:

Back