UPS crash this morning, A-300 in Alabama

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
CNN reports the plane was enroute from SDF.

The pictures reveal the plane is a total loss.

The cause of this crash will be very interesting. I don't think lithium batteries in the cargo hold are the cause because the plane was coming from the SDF hub.

I did not know that only FX & 5F fly A300s domestically anymore.

After security, I believe our biggest concern in the airline cargo business is uneducated shippers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-alabama-plane-crash-20130814,0,7674571.story

The cause of this crash will be very interesting. I don't think lithium batteries in the cargo hold are the cause because the plane was coming from the SDF hub.

After security, I believe our biggest concern in the airline cargo business is uneducated shippers.
what does SDF have to do with not having lithium batteries onboard?

And how are overnight-heavy operations like FedEx and UPS affected by the new crew regulations?

Reactions: 1 person
Glenn Quagmire said:
Thanks Glenn.
Still not sure if it's instruments or pilots.
Sounds like instruments agree that they are too high and have runway in sight @12 O'clock.
EGPWS warning is a little disconcerting.
IIRC, when UA started using the GPWS that pilots would pull the breaker as it was too sensitive in certain landing profiles.
It will be interesting to see the final NTSB report.
B) xUT

They did not follow that approach procedure. Too low for the terrain. It is a drive and dive approach for that runway.

What did the length of the runway have to do with the accident? It was an unstabilized approach.