US Airways announced that it had reached agreements for collective bargaining agreements

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways announced that it had reached agreements for collective bargaining agreements that would govern the American Airlines employees

Click here to read the story.

REPORT: US Airways Announces Plans To Take Over American Airlines

Click here to read the story.

US Airways Holds Ace in AMR Merger Scenario

Clcik here to read the story.

Signed Agreements with Three Unions at American Airlines: An Important Message from CEO Doug Parker: April 20, 2012

Dear Fellow Employees –

Today, we filed a statement (a form called an 8-K) with the Securities and Exchange Commission disclosing that we have signed agreements with the three unions that represent nearly 55,000 American Airlines employees. These unions are the Allied Pilots Association (APA), the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union (TWU), which represents all of American Airlines’ mechanics and fleet service employees. Shortly after our disclosure, these three unions issued a public statement announcing their support of a US Airways-American Airlines merger and that they have agreed to terms that would govern collective bargaining agreements for their members at the merged airline. I want to explain to you why we have done this and what it means.

First of all, today’s news does not mean we have agreed to merge with American Airlines. It only means we have reached agreements with these three unions on what their collective bargaining agreements would look like after a merger, and that they would like to work with us to make a merger a reality. To get to an actual merger, many more things must happen including gaining the support of AMR’s creditors, its management team and its Board of Directors. But this is obviously an important first step along that path and we are hopeful we can all work together to make this happen.

All of you have heard me talk about the benefits consolidation has created for US Airways and our industry. You have also heard me say that US Airways does not need to merge with anyone, as evidenced by our team’s outstanding results. That is still the case, but after studying American Airlines’ current state and their future plans, we have concluded that a merger with American, while they are undergoing their bankruptcy restructuring, represents a unique opportunity that we should not ignore. These beliefs are shared by the three American labor unions and we are delighted to have their support. Like us, they recognize the potential of a merger to improve the current and future careers of both airlines’ employees.

Combining American Airlines and US Airways would create a preeminent airline with the enhanced scale and breadth required to compete more effectively and profitably. Our intention would be to put our two complementary networks together, maintaining both airlines’ existing hubs and aircraft, and create an airline that could compete successfully with United, Delta and other carriers within our industry. A merged airline would provide competitive, industry-standard compensation and benefits, as well as improved job security and advancement opportunities for all employees of the combined airline. Most importantly, in American’s standalone strategy, over 13,000 employees at American will lose their jobs. Our merger contemplates saving at least 6,200 of these positions. For the US Airways team, the agreements we have reached with the unions representing employees at American would also provide enhancements to the compensation and benefits currently in place here.

Today is one step in what will be a much longer process. For now, it remains business as usual. We must continue to provide the outstanding service that customers have come to expect from US Airways.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please stay connected via Wings (www.wings.usairways.com) and we will continue to provide updates on our progress. Thanks for all that you continue to do to take care of our customers. Together, whether a merger is our future or not, we will continue to run a great airline and have a bright future ahead of us.

Sincerely,

Doug

Reactions: 2 people
Guess the decision makers failed to note AAviator and my opposition. Go figure. Someone alert these guys to this chat board before it gets out of hand ;-/

Reactions: 4 people
USAPA president Gary Hummel has been heard saying we will remain the same as a lowcost feeder for AMR, nice work for our new officers to sell us out, ALPA is back!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
USAPA president Gary Hummel has been heard saying we will remain the same as a lowcost feeder for AMR, nice work for our new officers to sell us out, ALPA is back!!!!!
Awesome. McKee's propagandist is already at it.

Just how did Hummel sell you out?

Hate to break it to you, but USAPA will have no say in what goes on here.

Reactions: 1 person
This Chap 11 filing is an unusual one. AA votes itself on to the island of insolvency where it's legacy peers had long ago departed. But unlike the others, AA runs aground with a pile of money in hand, a $4 billion treasure that is supposed to enable them to navigate the rocky and uncertain shores of bankruptcy in a way previously unknown to their peers.

But there is a twist. The employees of AA unwittingly find themselves with their own treasure unheard of by any employee group who has had to stay afloat on those rocky shores. Their treasure is leverage, a lifeboat available to them that none of the other Chap 11 castaways had. And with this lifeboat is an opportunity to not just escape the island, but to do so in relative good health with a new crew and the chance to minimize their losses in what looked to be a costly, long and painful misadventure.

I guess timing is everything, along with a little bit of luck. This is an unprecedented airline default that I know I've never seen and that we may never see again. And to think it's just starting. We still don't know the final ending. It's getting as good as Gilligan's was.

Luv,

It's obvious that the APA has been meeting with the company for months now. This means that it was happening under Cleary's watch.

Where was Cleary when all these talks were going on? Wasnt invited?!?M

Like I said, USAPA is irrelevant.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11502688/1/us-airways-unions-on-merger-dont-forget-about-us.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

I started laughing when I saw this, then I was like, oh wait, this is the union that represents me, then I started crying.

Bean

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11502688/1/us-airways-unions-on-merger-dont-forget-about-us.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

I started laughing when I saw this, then I was like, oh wait, this is the union that represents me, then I started crying.

Bean
Don't cry. We're better off.

The AA guys are getting a pension freeze instead of losing it completely, DAL +3, and a 7 year fence between US and their flying.

Does anyone believe for a second that the AMR guys would risk holding this up over DOH?

No, they won't.

And USAPA has been so completely left out of the loop under Cleary's watch that they've been relegated to an afterthought status.

Bean

Bean,

Hope I'm wrong, but I share same optimism in this GH / Compass Correction upper rank.
If I get my pencils all sharpened, can I come work for you when we're furloughed?

FA

Bean,

Hope I'm wrong, but I share same optimism in this GH / Compass Correction upper rank.
If I get my pencils all sharpened, can I come work for you when we're furloughed?

FA

Sure, but I have to warn you debits and credits aren't nearly as much fun as flying airplanes.

Hopefully neither of us gets furloughed.

Bean

No, just a realist.
Not happy that once again the AAA folk get put ( potentially ) in a ( break even or lose ) SLI scenario against an adversary who faces a ( win or win ) scenario.

FA

You guys do it to yourselves every time. I told you way back when that you'd step on your own cranks.

History shows it and you've done it again.

You deserve it.

Latest posts