US incident at PHL

nevergiveup said:
Taking a selfie will hurt your chances for financial compensation due to stress.
It will also lead to being re-selfied with disastrous results. Circa 1937.

algflyr said:
Maybe it's just because these were East passengers instead of West passengers... :)
I don't know about that but I do know that I never understood the selfie craze or the fascination with anything Kardashian either.

Reactions: 1 person
PullUp said:
Great essay on evacuating the aircraft. I'm afraid it's preaching to the choir though. Would be nice to have the press echo your points to educate the public.
The airline industry tends to shy away from this stuff as it scares the passengers.
I would add one point: The best place to wait for further assistance after the evac is upwind. I know, the average joe doesn't know or can't figure out where that is.
So, I would suggest 50 feet directly in front of the aircraft (but off the pavement - you don't want to get run over by emergency vehicles). It keeps you out of any smoke, and if something explodes, shrapnel is more likely to radiate out to the sides of the fuselage. 
Cheers.

Agreed, but I'd suggest more like a hundred feet at least, since too much (even "just" exploding tires, etc) could otherwise, potentially ruin some folks days. No matter. We can all agree that the point is to remove people, who are sometimes just too otherwise clueless, from immediate danger asap.

1AA said:
Unfortunately todays society has lost touch with reality. With technology making us a stupid society from using common sense it will almost happen in every field not just aviation. No one thinks ahead a step or two in case a emergency or alternate plan should happen. People are too busy today texting and talking on their phones while they should be paying attention to their surroundings. I see it everyday on the streets and at work.
I believe it is called situational awareness. Remember that woman on the news that walked into a fountain at a shopping mall because she was walking and texting at the same time?
How about that guy in California who walked right up to a black bear on the sidewalk because he was texting instead of paying attention to where he was walking. How sad but it is common place today.
Sometimes I think we would be better off to take all the labels/caution messages off of everything at let nature take it course.

Reactions: 3 people
snapthis said:
I don't know about that but I do know that I never understood the selfie craze or the fascination with anything Kardashian either.
Yep, or the "real" housewives of wherever! God help us if what we see in the "reality" shows reflects on what is really happening.

Dont call me Shirley said:
Came across this about trim issues on the 320.on another site.  At the risk of speculating, it could be similar: 

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/recletters/2002/A02_06_07.pdf

Good info to keep in mind. Since all survived and the crew and recorders can be interviewed/checked I would imagine this will be an easy investigation. I never flew the bus so I'm not familiar with the control feel system and wonder if this could be an issue. I know that if I ever started to rotate a 757 and didn't have to pull a bit something is wrong.

snapthis said:
Here are the eight lessons I have learned to keep myself as safe as possible in the event of an airplane mishap or crash. They were validated by the evacuation of US1702.

Count the number of rows from my seat to the nearest emergency exit, both in front and behind me, in case theres smoke obscuring vision during an evacuation.

Dress appropriately. Did you see the man in shorts and the women in very short dresses and no coats coming off the plane in the video, as it was cold and windy that day? They undoubtedly got very cold waiting to be picked up by the buses. I would have put a warm jacket under the seat in front of me, for a quick grab, just in case. Im cognizant that about 80 percent of airplane accidents occur during the first 3 to 5 minutes of flight, and the last 10 minutes.

Review the airplane safety card after boarding, even if Ive flown in the same or similar plane.

From personal experience, I know airplane cabins can be chaotic during emergency evacuations. Youve got to remain calm, make good decisions, and follow procedure.

If its cold, grab your coat, but leave your carry-ons, as they will slow your evacuation, and endanger you and your fellow passengers.

If youre at an emergency exit if you see fire, dont open the door. In the case of flight 1702, the emergency exit over the wing holding the engine spewing smoke and some fire should not have been opened. If the fire flared up, it could have gone into the cabin through the emergency exit.

High heels are nothing but trouble in case of a crash. If you need heels at your destination, change into them after you land. Never wear heels on an evacuation chute as your heel can get caught, flip you, and cause a broken leg.

When you get to the bottom of the evacuation chute, get off quickly so you arent injured by someone coming down the chute behind you.

Wait to take that selfie, and the video of the crashed plane until youre safely away from it. Once youre off the chute, leave the area immediately. Get behind something solid, such as an embankment or fire vehicle, if possible. In case of a fire and an explosion, shrapnel can fly great distances and seriously injure or kill passengers who safely evacuated from the plane.

Be smart. Dont copy the actions of the passengers of flight 1702, seen in the videos.

- See more at: http://www.consumertraveler.com/columns/8-lessons-we-can-learn-from-the-aborted-flight-of-us-airways-flight-1702/#sthash.HrbTer73.dpuf

These are GREAT things for all people to keep in mind whenever they board and airliner.  But, from decades of observation, most leisure airline passengers are either born stupid or fall victim to that mysterious, invisible machine that sucks their brains out as they drive onto the airport property.

If they actually paid attention to, and understood, the safety briefing, they would be way ahead of the game in the event of an emergency.  (But, the FAA needs to STOP telling people how to use a seatbelt...the entire briefing loses much credibility when they brief incredibly obvious stuff.)

nycbusdriver said:

These are GREAT things for all people to keep in mind whenever they board and airliner.  But, from decades of observation, most leisure airline passengers are either born stupid or fall victim to that mysterious, invisible machine that sucks their brains out as they drive onto the airport property.

If they actually paid attention to, and understood, the safety briefing, they would be way ahead of the game in the event of an emergency.  (But, the FAA needs to STOP telling people how to use a seatbelt...the entire briefing loses much credibility when they brief incredibly obvious stuff.)
Could not agree more with these comments.  However, I have been seated by many people that really have no clue how the seatbelt works.  Don't know how many times I have seen the buckle upside down!  I think the safety demo is a fruitless legal requirement now.  Everyone has their Bose headset and tablet with the latest episode of whatever reality show they are behind on these days.  Got to have your priorities in order you know!

Onestep2flt said:
Could not agree more with these comments.  However, I have been seated by many people that really have no clue how the seatbelt works.  Don't know how many times I have seen the buckle upside down!  I think the safety demo is a fruitless legal requirement now.  Everyone has their Bose headset and tablet with the latest episode of whatever reality show they are behind on these days.  Got to have your priorities in order you know!
Be ready, for you may not see tomorrow! Hopefully the pax is listening to a recording of the Bible by Larry King! 

snapthis said:
I don't understand it either. Why would I send out pictures of myself, my wife and kids are way better looking. As for Kardashian, different strokes for different folks I guess. Some people apparently are very interested in the life of a large butted, materialistic, hairy Armenian.

Bean