US to Shrink Fleet

This is so old news. i just love how your gears grind and go into warp speed. The combined fleet is in the process of bring reduced. however utilization is up, PHL-PDX AND PHL-SEA are prime examples of cross utilizations. This negates the fact that you are have less craft. Redeyes are a great way to expand with a craft that normally would sit around and do nothing. Has anyone seen how few US east craft are up at night? Of course everyone freaks out and seems to forget the recalls.

If management were so dead set on shrinking they would never recall anybody.

This is so old news. i just love how your gears grind and go into warp speed. The combined fleet is in the process of bring reduced. however utilization is up, PHL-PDX AND PHL-SEA are prime examples of cross utilizations. This negates the fact that you are have less craft. Redeyes are a great way to expand with a craft that normally would sit around and do nothing. Has anyone seen how few US east craft are up at night? Of course everyone freaks out and seems to forget the recalls.

If management were so dead set on shrinking they would never recall anybody.

I don't think anyone has "forgotten" that recalls have been announced, but those of us that are hoping to return have learned the hard way that it's all just words until those 400 have actually returned to the property. The circumstances are obviously different, but it's like deja vu only 5 years later. If there are indeed a significant # of a/c yet to be removed from the fleet without replacement until the 190's come on line, it is hard to believe that another furlough couldn't be a possibility come September even with some increased a/c utilization.

Quite frankly, (and I know I speak for other Involuntary Furloughees as well), I have no interest in returning for the summer if I am only going to be furloughed again in 3 short months. Been there, done that.

If my memory serves me correctly the Fleet Plan for the old US Airways filed with the bankruptcy court in the POR was to emerge from bankruptcy with the airline operating 221 aircraft by the end of 2006, however, the GECAS agreement called for 11 more B737s to be returned to the lessor in 2009. The GECAS agreement has a caveat that the financier can accelerate the return of these 11 jets to 2007.

In addition (if my memory serves me correctly), America West had 142 pre-merger mainline airline aircraft, which has been reduced to 140.

Thus, the January 1, 2006 combined fleet count was 361. According to the article the mainline fleet projection is 354 aircraft at the end of the year, which is a net difference of 7 aircraft from the beginning of the year.

Separately, it is true that the Company is looking at adding more B757s and they have been in Victorville to look at potential acquisitions, according to sources at that airport. It’s my understanding the number of aircraft that could be added is 12, however, it’s unclear if the company and the aircraft owners will reach an agreement that will enable US Airways to increase its B757 fleet size.

Also noteworthy, during the recent media day event US Airways executive vice president of marketing and sales Scott Kirby said that the company will add 2-3 more transatlantic destinations in both the spring of 2007 and 2008, which could increase transatlantic destinations up to 22 airports and 25 flights per day per the new 2006 summer schedule.

In regard to the minimum fleet count that Walmartgreeter discussed, the ALPA Transition Agreement states “During the first years following the consummation of the Merger Agreement, America West and US Airways will each maintain not les than 80% of the number of aircraft (excluding SJs as defined in the US Airways agreement as amended by the Letter of Agreement) listed by month for that airline in Attachment B.â€￾

“For US Airways, the number of aircraft will be re-established one year after the consummation of the Merger Agreement at the lesser of 279 total aircraft (excluding SJs), or the number of total aircraft then operated by US Airways (excluding SJs) less ten percent (10%), rounded to the nearest aircraft, with the daily utilization rate measured monthly as the average daily utilization rate for the prior twelve months less ten percent (10%).â€￾

“For America West, the number of minimum aircraft will be established one year after the consummation of the Merger Agreement at the lesser of 140 total aircraft (excluding SJs), or the number of total aircraft then operated by America West (excluding SJs) less ten percent (10%), rounded to the nearest aircraft, with a daily utilization rate measured monthly as the average daily utilization rate for the prior twelve months less ten percent (10%).

Regards,

USA320Pilot

My hunch is that as the E190s start to trickle into US East, the Mesa CRJ-900s will go back west and a bunch of the older, rattier America West 737-300s will head for the boneyard.

• Banned
More planes returned:

US Airways Fleet Update-

B733 N174AW [23633] Stored at Phoenix in full livery since at least
12Mar. Returned to lessor and ferried to Goodyear 23Mar-2006.

A320 N645AW [0238] LRF in America West livery was HP528 IAH-PHX
12Mar-2006. Returned to lessor and ferried to Macon on 12Mar-2006.

A320 N646AW [0271] LRF in America West livery was HP656 IND-PHX on
07Mar-2006. Returned to lessor and ferried to Macon on 10Mar-2006.

More planes returned:

US Airways Fleet Update-

B733 N174AW [23633] Stored at Phoenix in full livery since at least
12Mar. Returned to lessor and ferried to Goodyear 23Mar-2006.

A320 N645AW [0238] LRF in America West livery was HP528 IAH-PHX
12Mar-2006. Returned to lessor and ferried to Macon on 12Mar-2006.

A320 N646AW [0271] LRF in America West livery was HP656 IND-PHX on
07Mar-2006. Returned to lessor and ferried to Macon on 10Mar-2006.
These planes have always been planed for return. A/c N645AW goes back to lessor 4-3-06 and N646AW will be turned at same time.

A/c N336AW was Sch for March 31th but was extended till
April 10th. Then A/c N326AW parked 4-24-06 return 5-1-06 and then N331AW parked 7-25-06 and return 8-1-06 and thats it.

This is all old news.

Back