Virgin America Flight Attendants seek union vote!

great theory but there are 60K employees at one of the world's largest airlines who don't buy it.

If it really worked, they wouldn't be sitting on the sidelines.

VX employees are seeking unions because mgmt. doesn't listen or won't respond to the interests and needs of their employees.

I'm happy for them in respect that they won't have the IAM imposed on them. Despite their many deficiencies the TWU has industry leading F/A contract at WN and is still 1000 times better than the IAM.

Hopefully the election will be delayed and possibly never occur or of it does the union gets turned down like what happened at AA. CWA didn't get even enough votes as cards required for the election a AA in January 2013 same could happen here.

Josh

Ah the master of misinformation is back, nothing is imposed on anyone, they have the democratic right to vote on being union, their representatives and their contract. Keep up the lies you fraud!

Reactions: 1 person
IAM doesn't represent a single major F/A group and yea representation is imposed per the RLA they must pay an agency fee unlike NLRA in RTW states which more equitable.

Josh

So let me walk into jp morgan and tell them I want their services for free. How would that go over? The courts have ruled no free riders under the RLA.

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
Yeah, 'cause that's a win-win all around... :rolleyes:
Worked remarkably well for the AA agents. Despite the law suits and other stalling tactics management used the union still didn't receive a sufficient number of votes for the number of cards necessary let alone enough of a majority to win the election. And yes the vote was very close but looking at the laughable literature and propaganda they put out unless the USAIR agents resoundingly support the CWA the combined group end up unorganized and nothing would make me happier. Every Friday in October 2010 was awesome as the unions came down one after another.

Josh

Kev3188 said:
Your contempt for America's Working Class continues to be duly noted.
Replace working class with unions/organized labor. I am pro-worker but believe the goal and interests of unions today no longer align with those of the people they "represent".

Josh

is there a timetable for when the VX FAs are to vote?   Also is it similar to how DL FAs are voting....    WT Its not about creating a nightmare btwn MGMT and Labor  its about the workers needing the right to have a say in matters  

unions if they work should provide more for employees than what they have.

But the history of unionization in the legacy segment of the industry has been that unions create a much more hostile environment between labor and mgmt.

given that unionization is relatively new among the post deregulation airlines (WN is a prederegulation airline), it remains to be seen how it will play out but many of those newer airline mgmts. have tried to exploit low labor rates in order to gain an advantage over their workers. As unionization comes to the newer LCCs, their costs will raise - and I am not saying they shouldn't - and with it there will be reduced competitiveness with the network/legacy carriers.

The pendulum is swinging back from a position where low cost carriers have been able to grow at the expense or without a response from legacy carriers to one where the legacy carriers are able to "control the conversation."

There will be more and more evidence in the coming months of the strength of the legacy carriers and the weakening position of the low cost carrier segment.

stay tuned.

Guess you never heard of the HPWO, which saved Harley-Davidson and several other companies.

737823 said:
I'm happy for them in respect that they won't have the IAM imposed on them. Despite their many deficiencies the TWU has industry leading F/A contract at WN and is still 1000 times better than the IAM.

Hopefully the election will be delayed and possibly never occur or of it does the union gets turned down like what happened at AA. CWA didn't get even enough votes as cards required for the election a AA in January 2013 same could happen here.

Josh
This is how well the AA Mechanics like the TWU:

1AA said:
OK so you made your point on ONE thing you feel the TWU has done. While your on a roll and have everybody's attention can you please tell us the other accomplishments the TWU has done for our profession? Here is a list. Please tell us how well the TWU has done on these with the same enthusiasm.

1) Two Tier pay scale
2) Two Tier vacation scale
3) Five paid vacation days
4) Reduced Vacation multiplier
5) Elimination of double time O/T
6) Ten days of IOD pay
7) Elimination of retirement Prefunding
8) Elimination of Penalty hour
9) Frozen Pensions
10) Reduction in Shift Premiums
11) Elimination of Longevity pay
12) Elimination of meal allowance
13) Removal of Cap on Flex benefits
14) Transfer lockout from 6 months to 1 year
15) New Line qual test (virtually impossible to pass)
16) Elimination of Profit Sharing

This should be enough to keep you busy. I am sure others can add to the list in a timely manner. Please take my request seriously. We all want to know how these items have benefited the AMT at AA with the same enthusiasm you have about the ASAP program.

Thank you and good luck.