What Airline

Original Air West (1968-69)....best sweet rolls in the world on morning F-27 flights!
or
Braniff

Empire and its purchaser, Piedmont.

Piedmont bought Empire just after Empire had announced plans to relocate its HQ from UCA to SYR. Piedmont, on the other hand, wished to keep its HQ in NC, and no sane person could blame them one iota. A nasty (and entirely uncalled for) lawsuit ensued, orchestrated by the then Syracuse mayor, who would shortly change his occupaation to that of a maker of fine license plates for an extortion and tax evasion scheme. Said mayor's term thankfully expired shortly before his indictment, and his successor quickly dropped the lawsuit.

Empire provided Central New York with excellent service, and, no thanks to the former Syracuse mayor, Piedmont was building a dandy hub in Syracuse when U bought Piedmont. The day that happened was indeed a sad day for Central NY air travelers, many of whom remember Piedmont very fondly to this day. A very nice 15 gate South concourse, built to Piedmont standards, remains to this day in Syracuse. Unfortunately, it is severely underutilized.

I'd sure love to see that big orange Braniff 747SP coming in out of the clouds and landing at HNL...

I sure do miss all those beautiful banannas from Hughes Air West coming into Phoenix on a hot day.

And as we all know, at Western, its the ooooonnnnnnlllyyy way to fly!

Actually,,,Allegheny Airlines never went anywhere. In Oct 1979, Allegheny changed their name to USAir to reflect the carriers growth after deregulation. In 1997 USAir changed their name to US Airways. I hope to see the Allegheny name flying for many decades to come.
1.gif']

TWA is still flying. The only difference is now the planes are silver instead of white.

Old USAir, when Ed Colodny was at the helm. Before his successors and two bungled mergers brought the airline down.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 1:31:24 PM Hello Newman wrote:

Old USAir, when Ed Colodny was at the helm. Before his successors and two bungled mergers brought the airline down.
----------------
[/blockquote]

But wasn't Ed the driving force behind at least one (PSA), if not both, of those mergers? Wasn't he at the helm until about the time of the PI merger?

Ed Colodny was required to retire as president at age 65. In January 1991, he turned the job over to Seth Schofield. I believe had he stayed on the job, we would've weathered the storm better and we wouldn't have been so quick to back
and run from the west coast.

Wrong - uncle Edwins Mirror Image is what caused the down fall of the company. Neither PSA or Piedmont knew how to run an Airline so we had to do it the Agony way.

Latest posts