what has the association accomplished?

Association has successfully:

Prevented membership from a choice in representation

Divided membership into 2 camps with different needs

Collected dues.

And...........

Successfully brought ramp and maintenance negotiations back together.

I agree. And I also think the fleet guys will also be better off in their very own contract without the mechanics in it. This way, the fleet nego team can much more easily focus on fleet issues and no longer work with a budget that includes the mechanics it's just not fair to the rest of the groups wrapped up in the same contract. This is why we separated the cleaners from our contract. It got way better for both groups during nego's. Good luck to you all...

The irony is that we used to be in the same Locals, Fleet and Maintenance, and they lobbied to be separated because they believed their contracts were substandard due to Fleet having bigger numbers. The separation was a way for them to be able to speak about mechanic issues from the point of view of the mechanic and ensure their objectives were better met.

The irony is that we used to be in the same Locals, Fleet and Maintenance, and they lobbied to be separated because they believed their contracts were substandard due to Fleet having bigger numbers. The separation was a way for them to be able to speak about mechanic issues from the point of view of the mechanic and ensure their objectives were better met.
No, because of fleet numbers, our local presidents were usually from FLEET or CABIN SERVICE! We had no representation as far as mechanics were concerned.

Reactions: swamt
No, because of fleet numbers, our local presidents were usually from FLEET or CABIN SERVICE! We had no representation as far as mechanics were concerned.

Isn't that what NYer was basically saying? I remember when the split happened. Personally I was in favor of it. As you stated the local presidents usually were fleet and try as they my they couldn't fully connect with Mntc issues. Although I might be mistaken but didn't Tulsa elect a fleet service clerk for president? That was a bit of a head scratcher.

Isn't that what NYer was basically saying? I remember when the split happened. Personally I was in favor of it. As you stated the local presidents usually were fleet and try as they my they couldn't fully connect with Mntc issues. Although I might be mistaken but didn't Tulsa elect a fleet service clerk for president? That was a bit of a head scratcher.
Different for TUL......The mechanics own TULSA. So I would say he has to negotiate with the mechanics best interest in mind.
And I would say they tired of their past presidents for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Walegir
Different for TUL......The mechanics own TULSA. So I would say he has to negotiate with the mechanics best interest in med.

I never really followed anything in Tulsa except to occasionally hear a mechanic cussing them out around contract voting time. I learned later the reasoning. There must have been some complete winners as presidents if they elected a fleet guy. I spoke with a few fleet who got layed off to DFW, they didn't have much good to say about him. Was his name Seri??

I'm in Tulsa and that had me scratching my head too. Dude went around promising to represent everyone and ended up representing himself after his attempt to get company to allow fleet to work the cabins in the hangar while AMTOs signed off the paperwork and made less money than the fleet guys. When that didn't fly they laid off all the fleet people except the prez and chairwoman of fleet were given spots in Title 2. The rest of the fleet hit the door. I did have fun saying "I told you so." I have to admit. haha. But I think it was about 75 Fleet lost their jobs because this dude didn't even represent his own group.

I never really followed anything in Tulsa except to occasionally hear a mechanic cussing them out around contract voting time. I learned later the reasoning. There must have been some complete winners as presidents if they elected a fleet guy. I spoke with a few fleet who got layed off to DFW, they didn't have much good to say about him. Was his name Seri??

Sam Cirri

Reactions: Steve Walegir
Different for TUL......The mechanics own TULSA. So I would say he has to negotiate with the mechanics best interest in mind.
Not exactly, the Mechanics have been seriously divided in TULE. Basically, you have the A&P's, in the hangars and some work in the back shops that rework or replace parts, then there are the Machinists, Welders etc...
Understand not all Aircraft and Engine mechanics have their A&P in the back shops and in the hangar. The union sees them all as technicians... A&P's get $5.00 for having each license, the Machinists, Welders etc...get a Skill Premium of $3.00 I believe and Facilities Maintenance if ticketed receive compensation, not sure what that rate is. During AMFA drives it became obvious that the TWU had everyone except the A&P's that wanted to change representation. Just a note: The non-A&P's were convinced that they would do better with the TWU.

Reactions: B737 driver
Not exactly, the Mechanics have been seriously divided in TULE. Basically, you have the A&P's, in the hangars and some work in the back shops that rework or replace parts, then there are the Machinists, Welders etc...
Understand not all Aircraft and Engine mechanics have their A&P in the back shops and in the hangar. The union sees them all as technicians... A&P's get $5.00 for having each license, the Machinists, Welders etc...get a Skill Premium of $3.00 I believe and Facilities Maintenance if ticketed receive compensation, not sure what that rate is. During AMFA drives it became obvious that the TWU had everyone except the A&P's that wanted to change representation. Just a note: The non-A&P's were convinced that they would do better with the TWU.
Keyword is MECHANICS. Not fleet. are mechanics not the majority in Tulsa?

Keyword is MECHANICS. Not fleet. are mechanics not the majority in Tulsa?
Of course, seeing that there are two Tulsa's, TULE where Overhaul is accomplished and TUL the actually the airport.
TULE has no Fleet Service and since the Bankruptcy, I believe TUL is farmed out.

Amen. End of story. Get your own union to represent mechanics. Not fleet, not gate agents, not truckers, not bus drivers, not bakers, etc... You get the point. Until you guys do this you will never escape the irony of fleet and other groups within your contract getting better terms than the mechanics. Remember, the higher majority always wins in contract voting, period...

Amen. End of story. Get your own union to represent mechanics. Not fleet, not gate agents, not truckers, not bus drivers, not bakers, etc... You get the point. Until you guys do this you will never escape the irony of fleet and other groups within your contract getting better terms than the mechanics. Remember, the higher majority always wins in contract voting, period...
What wins is when they have their own Union meaning the mechanics, is the numbers they have, close to 10,000 to our 2500. Companies pay attention when you have those kind of numbers. Good luck guys.

Q: What has the Association accomplished?

A: We all got big raises.
What happened was all our negotiating power was given away with the cross utilization hand over. What kind of negotiator throws all his chips in the pot when his opponent is only gambling with half of his. Our contract hopes were shot after cross utilization was given away for 50 cents on the dollar. And the union didn't agree to it the ass did. We are the union not the ass. We were cut out of the loop and had no say on what ramifications that letter of agreement might have on future contract talks. We would have a contract know if it wasn't for that pathetic deal.

Latest posts