what has the association accomplished?

Oh, I weighed his suggestion heavily;)!
And about that spend percentage. It is not cut and dry like saying 60% of man hours which can be defined and tracked easily.
But when we use a % of spend, it can equate to a higher % of man hours.

I was sent this by an old friend of the board.

AA can outsource 35% of the maintenance spend, which includes line, base and shops.

LUS can outsource 50% of billable hours of heavy maintenance and components. They cannot outsource any line maintenance. But they can outsource all components.

So the total airline outsourced around 33% of maintenance not 33% of the spend.

Last edited:

AA can outsource 35% of the maintenance spend, which includes line, base and shops.

LUS can outsource 50% of billable hours of heavy maintenance and components. They cannot outsource any line maintenance.

Hours are more definitive.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am getting that feedback from some pref hired US guys hired at AA stations. Assignments from CC's leading to favoritism, disorganization, or questionable operational coverage. On the US side if Managers regularly create a daily C.F., they will be terminated or reassigned, but to remove a 30-year CC will take an Act of Congress no matter how incompetent.

Post JCBA, I will be very curious to see what system survives with Leads vs. Crew Chiefs.
What is a daily C F ??

Not to hijack the thread, but I am getting that feedback from some pref hired US guys hired at AA stations. Assignments from CC's leading to favoritism, disorganization, or questionable operational coverage. On the US side if Managers regularly create a daily C.F., they will be terminated or reassigned, but to remove a 30-year CC will take an Act of Congress no matter how incompetent.

Post JCBA, I will be very curious to see what system survives with Leads vs. Crew Chiefs.
Think I got it. Lol. Sorry Is it a cluster .....?

LUS can outsource 50% of billable hours of heavy maintenance and components. They cannot outsource any line maintenance. But they can outsource all components.

Components being Avionics?

If they compared the airline maintenance especially through an arbitrator AA AMTs would have been screwed

As an A&P Mechanic, I have more in common with an SWA A&P Mechanics than any Fleet Service. As for both of us being represented by the TWU I have little in common with the Fleet Service because I really don't want to be represented by an entity that does not look out for the Mechanics. In 34 years my negotiations have been Fleet Service oriented. The TWU has been 3rd and Flight Attendants and Pilots fighting over the 1st slot. The Pilots are not affiliated with the AFL-CIO as well as the Flight Attendants

Reactions: swamt

Crew Chiefs will survive and we will all have to get used to being called Ramp Agents.

I’m still going with Baggage Handler though. Easier to explain and I don’t need a special PC title.

As an A&P Mechanic, I have more in common with an SWA A&P Mechanics than any Fleet Service. As for both of us being represented by the TWU I have little in common with the Fleet Service because I really don't want to be represented by an entity that does not look out for the Mechanics. In 34 years my negotiations have been Fleet Service oriented. The TWU has been 3rd and Flight Attendants and Pilots fighting over the 1st slot. The Pilots are not affiliated with the AFL-CIO as well as the Flight Attendants

You would be better served to stop thinking of your “profession” as some type of fraternity. Do you think that individual gives a rats ass about you or any of us? He works for our direct competitor based in N Texas. Don’t you remember the Write Ammendment?

You can hate my guts and thumb your nose down on me and my profession as much as you want but we both work for the same Company. We both have a huge vested interest in seeing that Company succeed. Our interest is in beating our competitors not kissing their asses.

BTW TWU may have been 3rd but AMFA at SWA came in dead last in case you’ve failed to notice. As a matter of fact the Passenger Service Agents signed their agreements in 2014 and have already opened talks early with the Airline for a new Contract. That’s IAM 142 in case you’re interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: B737 driver
Weez ask 700 why his M&R bankruptcy part two negotiating committee wasn’t successful getting IAMNPF in 2005.

Why did they wait until the 2008 transition agreement yet fleet got into the plan in 2003?

Josh

You would be better served to stop thinking of your “profession” as some type of fraternity. Do you think that individual gives a rats ass about you or any of us? He works for our direct competitor based in N Texas. Don’t you remember the Write Ammendment?

You can hate my guts and thumb your nose down on me and my profession as much as you want but we both work for the same Company. We both have a huge vested interest in seeing that Company succeed. Our interest is in beating our competitors not kissing their asses.

BTW TWU may have been 3rd but AMFA at SWA came in dead last in case you’ve failed to notice. As a matter of fact the Passenger Service Agents signed their agreements in 2014 and have already opened talks early with the Airline for a new Contract. That’s IAM 142 in case you’re interested.
Yes we argued for 6 years, finally kept our scope, got a raise and some modest improvements, time to take the money and run, especially if it took six years to get this.

Crew Chiefs will survive and we will all have to get used to being called Ramp Agents.

I’m still going with Baggage Handler though. Easier to explain and I don’t need a special PC title.
I fully agree, but since you brought Crew Chief's I have a question. Why has the Crew Chief premium for the Fleet Service since the last contract
been $2.09 while the Mechanic stayed at $1.75? That is twice that Fleet Service negotiators showed favortism. The First being Half Day Sick Call
for the Mechanics but in the beginning it was the first two sick days.