What is the rush?

bagboy

Advanced
Sep 30, 2007
The DL management in my city has been down to ATL for meetings and came back with all kinds of great info for us. Some were told that we will be merging ops in July. Some were told that no date was set for the merge. The one thing that is consistent with the local management is his persistence with pushing a union vote right now. Whats the rush?

The DL management in my city has been down to ATL for meetings and came back with all kinds of great info for us. Some were told that we will be merging ops in July. Some were told that no date was set for the merge. The one thing that is consistent with the local management is his persistence with pushing a union vote right now. Whats the rush?
I would guess that they want the vote before more layoffs are announced.

I believe that laid-off employees would be eligible to vote. A laid-off employee is much more likely to vote for a union.

Correct, and Delta management wants it now with a management friendly NMB still in place instead of a fair NMB in place. They can't run their "Give a rip don't click" campaign with a fair NMB.

Correct, and Delta management wants it now with a management friendly NMB still in place instead of a fair NMB in place. They can't run their "Give a rip don't click" campaign with a fair NMB.

Also, a poster on the Facebook site wrote that the Single Operating Certificate or SOC, may be delayed until mid 2010 (rather than early 2010). Has anyone else heard that?

Delays in achieving the Single Operating Certificate should be expected, especially with the changes at the FAA.

(rather than early 2010). Has anyone else heard that?

it was announced that it generally takes 15 to 18 months to obtain the SOC..

to my understanding the FAA has approved the transition plan to combine the two airlines...and that happened, I believe.. this past September prior to the final DOJ approval for the merger..now they have the plan that allows them to move forward incorporating the two airlines day to day operations.. however all the criteria in between, such as cross-training 20 thousand Flight Attendants..and how training will be accomplished for both groups...has that been finalized and approved? if not...when it is officially determined take at least 10-12 months(general timeline for training) and add it to that date..

to me, keeping in mind we are already into the second month of 2009, so from the projected timeline in order to combine.. early 2010 is not a realistic timeframe(since training has not even begun)..to me, third quarter 2010 seems more realistic at this time.

when it was mentioned early 2010..they were more than likely considering 15 to 18 months from that date...regarding the transition plan that was approved in September.. which projected an early 2010 SOC.

a 15 month timeline projects early 2010, an 18 month timeline projects mid 2010..more than likely it will be the later..plus a few more months.

it seems otherwise the process is moving along right on track.

They are delaying because they are worried. Worried they will lose. Look at Lynx and Ryan. Did AFA stall with them because of the "unfair NMB"???". No of course not. But with DAL...they are.

They are delaying because they are worried. Worried they will lose. Look at Lynx and Ryan. Did AFA stall with them because of the "unfair NMB"???". No of course not. But with DAL...they are.

I do think the election is going to be close. It is really going to be up to the NW f/a's as we don't know their percentages for pro-contract vs. no contract. I think, for the most part, the DL 40% will vote for representation again. NW f/a's must come thru at a near 80% for representation in order for it to pass. NW has never been without a union, so their f/a's will be faced with that question and opportunity for the first time.
And although I am for a legal and binding contract, I must say that AFA must step up their game, be even more accountable to their members, process grievances in the timeliest manner possible and be as transparent in the process as they can going forward.
Strategically, as far as this campaign is concerned, I think waiting for a labor-friendly head to the NMB is wise but they should also illuminate the good contracts their members have negotiated like Alaska's.
I know, for me, with the downturn in the economy, I want that $43 being put to the best use possible. If I have a conflict with Scheduling, I would want it (the grievance) addressed ASAP. If it's not, I want to know why not.

PS: If Delta was still run by the kind of team made up of Mr. Dave Garrett and Mr. Hollis Harris, rather than those doing the bidding of the greedy hedge fund Wall St. types, I would most likely not feel the need for a union.

its not maybe..it is a personal opinion!

I actually agree there should be some more communication made available..
to me, it appears they are looking at it from a perspective of having the SOC in place and then address the issue..
NMB has already ruled that a SOC is not necessary to all an election.

I do think the election is going to be close. It is really going to be up to the NW f/a's as we don't know their percentages for pro-contract vs. no contract. I think, for the most part, the DL 40% will vote for representation again. NW f/a's must come thru at a near 80% for representation in order for it to pass. NW has never been without a union, so their f/a's will be faced with that question and opportunity for the first time.
And although I am for a legal and binding contract, I must say that AFA must step up their game, be even more accountable to their members, process grievances in the timeliest manner possible and be as transparent in the process as they can going forward.
Strategically, as far as this campaign is concerned, I think waiting for a labor-friendly head to the NMB is wise but they should also illuminate the good contracts their members have negotiated like Alaska's.
I know, for me, with the downturn in the economy, I want that $43 being put to the best use possible. If I have a conflict with Scheduling, I would want it (the grievance) addressed ASAP. If it's not, I want to know why not.

PS: If Delta was still run by the kind of team made up of Mr. Dave Garrett and Mr. Hollis Harris, rather than those doing the bidding of the greedy hedge fund Wall St. types, I would most likely not feel the need for a union.

Very well said.

I do think the election is going to be close.
I agree...more than likely it is not going to be a landslide either way but right down the middle..
must step up their game
again agree, they are going to have to show how effective they are resolving issues in a timely manner..it is almost imperative..some may question, if it takes over a year to call an election how long will it take to negotiate a contract..(but that would ultimately be on both in the end.. I believe a recent contract was negotiated in days? how willing is a company to actually just put what they say into a legal document, and why is that such an issue?)
good contracts their members have negotiated like Alaska's.
exactly,
Alaska is an excellent example of how it can be done right for everyone..
with the downturn in the economy
the bottom line is simple this...people are going to have to ultimately decide...do I have a legal binding document in writing or do I trust the right thing will be done(with some of the group running the show we just had..)
was still run by the kind of team
Was....I dont see those names today...at all.

NMB has already ruled that a SOC is not necessary to all an election.
my personal opinion is simply once the voluntary has been completed, secure a final number of those going forward..and then call an election.(and that doesn't take over a year to do)..

timely resolution regarding issues is important.

but keep in mind the employees are the ones to actually call an election, that is why there needs to be more communication on this issue..