What the deal AMP

Could you define your D check? Our 737 "Heavy C" is cabin stripped Structure inspected and repaired, Wings check all flight controls inspected and overhauled, Fuselage Inspected with an ADL, Stabilizer, and Verticle also inspected etc..and put back together and several ECO's for systems and Avionics.
The C checks are phase checks , by time of the aircraft in service, when you get to the point where the whole interior is being gutted, and all the flight controls come off, that is contracted out. We do a few avionics mods when engineering calls for it. With the classics gone, we do not have all the structure work that we had. Like we can have a -700 come in for just the main gear changes, plus a few other task cards.

We don’t do anywhere near the heavy C checks in Dallas that AA does and the heavy checks, Y checks they’re called, are basically phase checks. We definitely don’t build Cadillacs at SW like were done in Tulsa.
Thanks and I believe the Phase Check might be on its way. Right now there are at least 2 or 3 structure repairs, but ECO's do take time.

Last edited:
Reactions: B737 driver
The C checks are phase checks , by time of the aircraft in service, when you get to the point where the whole interior is being gutted, and all the flight controls come off, that is contracted out. We do a few avionics mods when engineering calls for it. With the classics gone, we do not have all the structure work that we had. Like we can have a -700 come in for just the main gear changes, plus a few other task cards.
We have drop-ins but the month of June was MD80's drop-ins. We bounce from Light to Heavy as required.

Do you know someone who always has to have the last word in a conversation or an argument? Everyone has come across this type of person and knows how sad it is when you see it.

Having the last word is closely associated with ego. Egomaniacs always have to have the last word. It gives them a feeling of power, as if they immediate draw all of the power of the person they are communicating with and become powerful due to it.

This feeling is short-lived as it is only a state of mind, and most people who have any sense of understanding of human psychology knows that people that do this are only doing it because they feel insecure, competitive, hardheaded and lack confidence often in their own intellect.

A person who has to have the last word is fundamentally flawed. Their flaws are for the world to see. They may be charismatic and draw people in, but if you listen to their conversations and in the modern age, look at their posts on social media, you will see a common thread of egocentricity and a need for supremacy.

Those who have to have the last word feel uncomfortable when that power is taken away from them and they usually end up fighting or in an argument because this has been taken away from them. They lash out and look for ways to rectify this.

People with this "disease" usually strive to be the only voice over the people around them. They often never rise to the top in career or business, so they adapt their personal profiles so that they can be seen as "winning" in some area that they feel no-one can compete.

Their need for respect and to be liked, more so than those around them, usually is their undoing.

If you have to have the last say, think to yourself, "what am I afraid of?" Because ultimately, having the last say, means nothing.

Let's just see if it's true!!

Goodness Miss Smith that was an absolutely wonderful and insightful summation you came up with there. Intellectual enlightening.

https://www.marketingeye.com/blog/culture/why-egomaniacs-have-to-have-the-last-word.html

2.jpg

Mellissah Smith
Mellissah Smith is a marketing expert with more than 20 years experience. Having founded and built two successful marketing companies internationally, she is well recognized as a industry thought leader and innovator. Mellissah started her career working with technology and professional services firms, primarily in marketing, public relations and investor relations, positioning a number of successful companies to list on the various Stock Exchanges around the world. She is a writer, technology developer and entrepreneur who shares her thoughts and experiences through blogs and written articles published in various media outlets. Brag sheet: #2 marketer to follow on Twitter (2003), Top 150 Marketers to Follow (2015), Top 10 innovative marketers (2014), 60K+ followers on Twitter with 97% authentic.

And it plays out exactly as he predicted. Enough said. LOL...

We have drop-ins but the month of June was MD80's drop-ins. We bounce from Light to Heavy as required.
That's cool I was thinking Buck if you guys are not successful in your card drive, and the USair has the better contract. Have all of maintenance go IAM and ramp the TWU, then you guys would be on the same page.

Reactions: Buck and Kev3188
That's cool I was thinking Buck if you guys are not successful in your card drive, and the USair has the better contract. Have all of maintenance go IAM and ramp the TWU, then you guys would be on the same page.
Yea right. You really think the TWU guys are going to suck up to that? Makes no difference who represents who in the association. It's all about money. If IAM has its name on the door for M&E it's still business as usual except the IAM is more lame than the TWU. The IAM keeps their members in the dark more than the TWU. The TWU membership is the group that's making the most noise. The IAM is no where to be found.

Reactions: swamt
I'm still waiting to see if the steering committee has decided which union is going to be the best choice. Last I heard it was still a possibility of three choices.

1) AMP
2) ALTA
3) AMFA

From what I have been reading and hearing on the floor is that AMFA is not too interested in growing. They fear that a larger airline will over take control and Alaska and SWA will be left on the sidelines. This is not what Mr. Delle-Femine envisioned back in 1962 when he started this union. ALTA under its own admission on its website stated they want to be affiliated with the AFL-CIO. That doesn't go well with many of us at AA.
AMP is a start up in house union that has yet to be tested but ready to go if it gets the green light. So here we are with a choice of three craft unions. A decision needs to be made because people are donating money blindly towards a drive not knowing who is the union of choice.
We are all in agreement that the association needs to go. Let's not make the same mistake as the last drive. Remember what guys were saying?
Anyone but the TWU. Teamsters and AMFA. Now we are looking at three choices. The longer the three choices are still undecided the more time guys will start picking one over another and the division will grow before the first card is signed. I want no part of ALTA. I have doubts about AMFA at this point. AMP is new and needs to be explored a bit more.
A website with Q&A, contacts and full description on its intentions. I am holding back on donating money to the fund until we are all on the same page on a replacement union.

Yea right. You really think the TWU guys are going to suck up to that? Makes no difference who represents who in the association. It's all about money. If IAM has its name on the door for M&E it's still business as usual except the IAM is more lame than the TWU. The IAM keeps their members in the dark more than the TWU. The TWU membership is the group that's making the most noise. The IAM is no where to be found.
It was just a suggestion if you guys ended up stuck with the Association, hopefully you don't to pick the superior contract, that's it, nothing more.

I agree. Get it down to one union then flood them with the donations. I too will donate to the cause when they are down to one union. I also agree that ALTA should easily be removed from the list, being affiliated with the AFL-CIO is not being a mechanics and related class and craft union, too many other outside influences with the affiliation.
1AA, I hate to admit it but yes, some folks didn't want other airlines (AA) going AMFA as they did think that the AA'ers would overrun the National and take majority control. Like I said a while back, the National should take steps to make a National Officer position for each and every airline within AMFA and can only be removed by the corresponding airline membership. This way there is always someone at the top to representing the airlines within AMFA. On a second note, I think it would be good timing to get AMFA involved with Bret being the National Director, and maybe since we have our T/A out he and the other National Officers might be able to help.
Just some thoughts there. Hope you guys are successful. Wish you the best in the upcoming card drive...

I'm still waiting to see if the steering committee has decided which union is going to be the best choice. Last I heard it was still a possibility of three choices.

1) AMP
2) ALTA
3) AMFA

From what I have been reading and hearing on the floor is that AMFA is not too interested in growing. They fear that a larger airline will over take control and Alaska and SWA will be left on the sidelines. This is not what Mr. Delle-Femine envisioned back in 1962 when he started this union. ALTA under its own admission on its website stated they want to be affiliated with the AFL-CIO. That doesn't go well with many of us at AA.
AMP is a start up in house union that has yet to be tested but ready to go if it gets the green light. So here we are with a choice of three craft unions. A decision needs to be made because people are donating money blindly towards a drive not knowing who is the union of choice.
We are all in agreement that the association needs to go. Let's not make the same mistake as the last drive. Remember what guys were saying?
Anyone but the TWU. Teamsters and AMFA. Now we are looking at three choices. The longer the three choices are still undecided the more time guys will start picking one over another and the division will grow before the first card is signed. I want no part of ALTA. I have doubts about AMFA at this point. AMP is new and needs to be explored a bit more.
A website with Q&A, contacts and full description on its intentions. I am holding back on donating money to the fund until we are all on the same page on a replacement union.
I don't know if AMFA, would be interested or not. I do agree with you, on Afraid on the SWA part of you guys taking over. When we were Teamsters, they just seem to worry about UPS, and it was, we will get them next time guys. But in AMFA everyone is separate, but that fear would still be there.

I also agree that ALTA should easily be removed from the list, being affiliated with the AFL-CIO is not being a mechanics and related class and craft union, too many other outside influences with the affiliation...

Can you not be in the AFL-CIO and still be a craft union?

Can you not be in the AFL-CIO and still be a craft union?
Yes, it depends on how you structure your constitution. I know the Teamsters are not a craft union, but they left the AFL- CIO. The Union decides if they want to be part of it, or not.

That's always a possibility There is some griping about the IAM insurance and outsourcing. No one is directly complaining but it is frustration.

That's always a possibility There is some griping about the IAM insurance and outsourcing. No one is directly complaining but it is frustration.
We griped, but didn't do a whole lot more than that. Most people in reality if they keep their jobs where they are at, get a raise, make some overtime if they want it, and get a better retirement, people are pretty much happy, and pass the contract.