What US aircraft will AMR keep ?

nhbbears i think the 76 would stay a lit while longer too and i think the 734s will be gone by yr end as far as the order of planes go the quest would be would us keep the boein orders or no

The 734's will just about all be gone by the time the airlines actually merge, and I would expect to see the 767s retirement expedited

Even without a merger, US has been retiring its 737s as new A321s are delivered, and I think the plan is that the US 762s will be retired as the new A330s are delivered. Dunno about the US 757s, but if they're old, retirement probably is in their future.

I don't see a merger with AA changing any of that.

Since the AA Boeing/Airbus deliveries have lease financing in place, and they pay for themselves in fuel savings (compared to the MD-80s and 762s they will replace), I don't see those orders changing either.

I believe that the 757's will be shifted to more domestic flying as additional 330's arrive, with the 767's taking over their Intl. flying. I hope the 757's hang around for years to come, as they are one great powerful A/C.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe that the 757's will be shifted to more domestic flying as additional 330's arrive, with the 767's taking over their Intl. flying. I hope the 757's hang around for years to come, as they are one great powerful A/C.

Maybe you're right, but I would bet that as the eight remaining A330-200s arrive in 2013 and 2014, an equal number of 762s depart the fleet. Yes, the 757s are great planes, but A321s have much lower maint costs and lower fuel burn and can do everything the 757s do except the TATL and Hawai'i flying. The US 757s are getting long in the tooth.

Even without a merger, US has been retiring its 737s as new A321s are delivered, and I think the plan is that the US 762s will be retired as the new A330s are delivered. Dunno about the US 757s, but if they're old, retirement probably is in their future.

I don't see a merger with AA changing any of that.

Since the AA Boeing/Airbus deliveries have lease financing in place, and they pay for themselves in fuel savings (compared to the MD-80s and 762s they will replace), I don't see those orders changing either.

I disagree on the A330s-----common sense would have them cancel those, and get more 787s in the door. More fficient, and less different aircraft type floating around the system. You do that and things become more streamlined in about 3-5 years:

77W
737 (8 & 9)
A319/21

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757

AA/US is going to have a very diverse fleet not much different from DL as a result of two very different fleet philosophies before the merger and a lot of orders from both manufacturers on the books on the day of the merger.

It is doubtful that Airbus will accept cancellations of 330s w/o significant increases in A320 family orders.... possible but I don't think the 330s are going anywhere.

It still might make sense at some point in the US industry for the big 3 to start swapping planes to improve fleet commonality but I'm not sure that has been proposed yet.

Reactions: 1 person
I disagree on the A330s-----common sense would have them cancel those, and get more 787s in the door. More fficient, and less different aircraft type floating around the system. You do that and things become more streamlined in about 3-5 years:

Perhaps you're right, but I tend to agree with WT - DL's success with its diverse fleet demonstrates that once you get up to nearly 1,000 mainline planes, fleet commonality may not matter as much as having a plane for every mission.

In the next 3-5 years, I see Parker's main focus not on fleet commonality but on keeping all of the existing customers and adding some new profitable customers. Avoiding the UA fiasco.

A few years down the road and AA will have real-world numbers to compare the 787 and 777s against the A330s (fuel, maintenence, etc) and perhaps go with one or the other if there's huge savings to be gained. Otherwise, may have a couple dozen A330s to go along with 100+ 787s.

I can see the 330's remaining in the fleet for years to come. When it comes to having a diverse fleet, your very own Delta is the king. Dating way back to the NE merger in 1972, Delta always had a mish-mosh of a fleet with all types in the mix. In my book, they have never even come close to operating somewhat of a standardized fleet. Heck how many different types are they operating now? As I said, this goes way back, and I can still recall them having the 747, DC-10, & L-1011 all in the fleet at the same time.

Maybe you're right, but I would bet that as the eight remaining A330-200s arrive in 2013 and 2014, an equal number of 762s depart the fleet. Yes, the 757s are great planes, but A321s have much lower maint costs and lower fuel burn and can do everything the 757s do except the TATL and Hawai'i flying. The US 757s are getting long in the tooth.

Except get above the weather. Ergonomically and economically the 321 if fine and I enjoy flying it. But it has the same wing (in a clean configuration) area as the 319/320. Most of the year when heavy, you ride all the way cross country at FL300/320. CB's always look taller from the cockpit of a AB321 than a B757 :)

I love airbus, great planes that they never have to crash a few to get things right.

They are also the company that builds a plane, it #### rips apart, and the company response is "yeah, the way people have been flying the last 100 yrs is wrong, change it". That is like a car company building a car that has to be driven 100% differently or you would die. WTF.

Don't even get me started on the comfort of those planes for the passengers in chop.....forget about it.

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757

Are you serious?

One of the first A319s crashed at an airshow with some executives on board.

The rudder on the AA A300.

AF A330 nose dive into the ocean.

Every plane has had its issues.

Are you serious?

Ah... no, he wasn't serious. I've flown the 737 and the 320. I happen to like the 320 better. Our planes are full, so I guess the pax don't mind the ride either.

Are you serious?

No I wasn't being serious, I was being sarcastic pointing out what POS Airbus planes are and referring to both events you referred to:) Only plane in AA history that had guys REFUSING TO FLY and calling out sick.

Really love a plane that gets FINAL say in an ermergency, not the pilots......WTF, total FAIL, that a plane would rather crash than let a pilot fly it on the edge of the envelope......

BTW, the rudder didn't fail, AA pilots "flew it wrong".......grrrrrrrrrr------> don't even get me started on airbus.....

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757