What US aircraft will AMR keep ?

The problem is you don't get to open up routes without authority, and right now, there's no additional authority to mainland China, and only limited opportunities to Japan.

You may be right, but I thought that there were still some unclaimed frequencies to China; AFAIK, AA claimed seven for LAX-PVG as did UA plus I think that DL claimed seven for its SEA service, but I thought there were more left over after the 2008-09 meltdown when nobody was fighting to get new frequencies.

I remember hearing that additional NRT frequencies would be made available this year - but no recent news.

Assuming that most US frequent flyers were giving their Asian business to UA, the merger should provide some turn-key passengers to China, Japan and beyond if they stay with the new merged AA. Don't know if they add up to enough passengers for more than one or two flights, but that would seem to be easier growth than building it and hoping to take away business from UA or DL. Of course, if UA doesn't right their ship, AA might be able to take away more from UA.

if there aren't additional frequencies to China now, there will be soon. The US and China are very close to Open Skies WRT the number of frequencies that can be legitimately operated by US carriers.

Yes, US does push a fair amount of traffic onto UA's transpac flights. The biggest benefit of the merger on the Pacific would be to help AA better compete from ORD where it already has service but receives fares below UA's averages.

IMHO, there is a decent potential for a couple Asian destinations from PHL.

I believe the biggest benefit to AA/US will be from cutting off UA's use of US to serve the SE and help fill UA int'l flights including to Latin America. Add in that data shows clearly that UA kept the best revenue for itself and its JV partners, leaving US to pick up lower quality revenue. The benefits to US from using its efforts in JVs rather than having to fight its own partners for revenue will be a large portion of the revenue benefits.

The flip side is that there is only so much revenue so whatever AA/US gains will likely come from somewhere else.

History shows that AA and UA have a history of feeding off each other; when AA is up, UA is down and vice versa.

The greatest opportunities for AA/US likely come from competing more effectively with UA.

Absent the merger, I believe the US 767's were going to stay in the fleet until 2015 or so. With that said, I don't think they had planned a 1 for 1 swap with the new 330's coming this year and next.
On the AA side, based on some info I saw it didn't appear that AA was getting more than 15 or so 319's, but they did show a lot of 321's within the next 2 years. The info I saw was a link over on A-net listed under AA/US fleet plans.

Absent the merger, I believe the US 767's were going to stay in the fleet until 2015 or so. With that said, I don't think they had planned a 1 for 1 swap with the new 330's coming this year and next.
On the AA side, based on some info I saw it didn't appear that AA was getting more than 15 or so 319's, but they did show a lot of 321's within the next 2 years. The info I saw was a link over on A-net listed under AA/US fleet plans.

With the price of fuel, it's a certainty that the 762s will be put down as the A330s arrive, merger or not.

AA has not released any breakdowns of Airbus orders beyond 2013, which is 15 A319s beginning this summer and five 3-class A321s beginning in November. For 2014 and beyond, AA hasn't said how many of each will be delivered.

what will happen with the us routes to brazil from clt will they keep it and add it in with aa mia route

As AA is dominant in USA-Brazil, it's possible that new AA will have to relinquish the CLT-GRU to DL or UA (I doubt GIG is at risk). And even if new AA gets to keep the GRU and GIG routes from CLT, I would expect to see them move to a hub with higher O&D to Brazil, like PHL or MIA.

Us's 767s leases were extended through 2017. Three 330-200s coming this year and two next year.

Nevertheless, I don't expect the 762s to continue flying as A330s are delvered.

US is getting eight total A330s in 2013-14 (not five). From the 10-K:

US Airways plans to take delivery of 12 A321 aircraft in 2012, with the remaining 46 A320 family aircraft scheduled to be delivered
between 2013 and 2015. In addition, US Airways plans to take delivery of the eight remaining A330-200 aircraft in 2013 and 2014. Deliveries
of the 22 A350 XWB aircraft are scheduled to begin in 2017 and extend through 2019. US Airways has financing commitments for all Airbus
aircraft scheduled for delivery in 2012.

The A330's and 767's are scheduled to be eventually replaced with A350's. More than half of the 757's are ETOP's and make money flying Intl and Hawaii routes. The 737-400's will probably be around til mid 2014 and are being replaced with the A321's as new one's arrive. The eventual plan was to be an all Airbus fleet. Now that has been shot to hell !

As AA is dominant in USA-Brazil, it's possible that new AA will have to relinquish the CLT-GRU to DL or UA (I doubt GIG is at risk). And even if new AA gets to keep the GRU and GIG routes from CLT, I would expect to see them move to a hub with higher O&D to Brazil, like PHL or MIA.
As you probably know, the US has the opportunity to gain new air traffic rights for its carriers as early as this October with Open Skies between the US and Brazil arriving about a year later.

Because there is expansion of US air carrier rights to Brazil, it is unlikely IMHO that AA/US will have to divest rights but they will likely not be provided w/ any further rights.
IIRC, US' CLT-GRU service is supported by frequencies which are being leased to US from UA, which was not using all of the frequencies it had for several years. I believe the lease of the slots by US extends thru to 2015 at which time the US and Brazil are supposed to have Open Skies.

The real problem for the CLT-GRU flight is that there are no available parking spaces for normal morning arrivals and evening departures, which is the pattern for most flights in deep S. America. Thus, planes have to sit for the day; there are ramp areas esp. at GRU that are filled w/ int'l aircraft from around the world during the day. GRU does not have any more parking spaces which is why US has to arrive early in the a.m. ahead of other carriers and leave back to the US before the last wave of arrivals.

GRU is building a new terminal and Open Skies with the US is supposed to coincide w/ the expansion of terminal facilities and parking.

US probably will be able to eventually improve their slot times for CLT-GRU; the slot could be moved to another gateway but I'm not sure there is much value of adding any more flights from MIA-GRU - they operate up to 4 daily now.

GIG is in better shape with facilities and there should be no problem for other US carriers to expand there if they want to do so; thus, there is even less threat to AA/US' operation at GIG.

Other Brazilian airports have enough capacity to handle whatever flights other US carriers might add. The primary obstacle to adding flights at many airports is that many Brazilian airports do not have runways sufficiently long for nonstop unrestricted operations to the US.

Reactions: 1 person
Here are the links that show the feet orders for each side.. AA first

http://www.audriesaircraftanalysis.com/airline-pilot-demand/american-pilot-demand/american-airlines-supporting-spreadsheets/

US

http://www.audriesaircraftanalysis.com/airline-pilot-demand/us-airways-pilot-demand/us-airways-supporting-spreadsheets/

Reactions: 1 person

I think it's a given that CLT-GRU is toast as a condition of the merger. But not because of this merger...

Right now, AA's dominance is offset somewhat by US, UA and JJ working together under Star.

But a condition of the already approved TAM and LAN merger is that they drop out of one of the two alliances. Conventional wisdom seems to have TAM moving over to oneworld. LAN is clearly in the drivers seat for that merger, and with Avianca (and Avianca-Brasil) having just joined Star, the guys in SCL want to preserve as much traffic as they can south of the equator... Joining Star would mean they'd not only have to compete with AV, but would have to provide reciprocal alliance benefits... There's no way the competition authorities would allow revenue pooling between AV, LA, and JJ. It would shut just about everyone else out.

That's the more important event to be watching for, as it appears that a majority of US-BR capacity will be winding up in oneworld. The decision was expected to be made by now, and I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been announced yet, but ramping up for World Cup and the Olympics have more of ANAC's attention right now, which means it has TAM's (and Gol's) attention as well...

Here are the links that show the feet orders for each side.. AA first

http://www.audriesai...g-spreadsheets/

US

http://www.audriesai...g-spreadsheets/

Thanks for the links - the AA side is pretty accurate. As I mentioned above, AA has not publicly announced any breakdown in Airbus single-aisle orders between A319s and A321s beyond this year - so AA (and the fleet projections you linked) show A321s for 2014 and beyond. Despite that, AA's plans obviously include more than 15 A319s - as that's too small a subfleet to make any sense. Of course, DP can always change that mix. When AA announced the order for 260 Airbus single-aisle planes in 2011, they stressed that AA had flexibility to specify the mix between A319s and A321s, much like the flexibility with Boeing to vary the mix between 738s and 73Gs/739s.