What US aircraft will AMR keep ?

For some reason, US has been going with primarily the 321's for a bulk of the deliveries the last year and a half. They have been replacing the 733/734 with them even though they are a bit larger.

Reactions: 1 person
For some reason, US has been going with primarily the 321's for a bulk of the deliveries the last year and a half. They have been replacing the 733/734 with them even though they are a bit larger.

I had noticed that and thought it curious. Perhaps it's similar to WN converting its 73Gs to 738s - not a huge increase in fuel burn, same two pilots and at WN, one additional FA. And a lot more seats for those slot-controlled or crowded airports. Maybe US was thinking along the same lines: same two pilots as A320, maybe one more FA (which is no more than about $70/hr including benefits) and helpful at PHL and other crowded airports.

WT and I have discussed before how odd it is that AA is taking delivery of A319s when most other airlines are up-sizing their new deliveries to larger models. Compared to an A321 or A320, those A319s are high-casm planes. During AA's MD-80 tenure, they have seated from 129 to 150 or so passengers, so maybe replacing all of them with 738s would be too much plane. And maybe there are some high-yield domestic markets where the high-casm A319s make sense and a 738 or A321 wouldn't make sense. I'm not smart enough to even guess where those markets might be.

Maybe AA is going to experiment with dynamic scheduling, which some other carriers do pretty regularly when they have a 318/319/320/321 fleet. Schedule everything as a 320, and literally load balance out the tail assignments 3 days out, when day of departure demand is a lot clearer.

An A321 doesnt have the capabilities of the 757.

Do you see an A321s from North America to Europe or one from West Coast to HA?

Nope, it doesnt have the legs.

Reactions: 1 person
AA/US is going to have a very diverse fleet not much different from DL as a result of two very different fleet philosophies before the merger and a lot of orders from both manufacturers on the books on the day of the merger.

It is doubtful that Airbus will accept cancellations of 330s w/o significant increases in A320 family orders.... possible but I don't think the 330s are going anywhere.

It still might make sense at some point in the US industry for the big 3 to start swapping planes to improve fleet commonality but I'm not sure that has been proposed yet.
Don't you owe me something ?

700 i know it dont but im saying just west coast to east coast but here is anthr question can the 321 do hawaii to california like the 738

JUST WONDER IF THE 321 WOULD EVENTUALLY BE THE 757 REPLACEMENT
700 i know it dont but im saying just west coast to east coast but here is anthr question can the 321 do hawaii to california like the 738

Other than the Europe or Hawai'i capability, AA made clear in 2011 that the A321 would be the domestic 757 replacement. There's interwebs chatter that maybe the A321neo will have the legs to fly to HNL from the west coast - we'll see.

AA has 20 757s that were delivered in 2001-03, and those have been converted to lie-flat (slanted) seats for international service, and they'll be in the fleet for probably 10+ more years.