What will AA do in response to this?

Nor'Easta

Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
JetBlue to Expand West Coast Service
By ***** *****
February 13, 2008

Discount carrier JetBlue Airways Corp. said it will expand its service from the West Coast on May 21 by launching transcontinental flights from Los Angeles International Airport and adding new flights from its existing airports in Southern California...

B6 LAX-JFK & BOS

Now that JetBlue has the $$$ to hang in there for the long haul, I don't think there is much AA can do except continue to compete and try not to slit their own throats while they're at it, just to make a point regarding their own stupidity.

This move was targeted at Virgin America more than AA or UA. B6 added a bunch of west coast capacity in addition to the JFK-LAX flights, and is reportedly looking at either a premium economy or even business/first class cabin to better compete with VX.

So what's AA going to do? I'd look for double miles or something along those lines, because if you fly (or buy) coach, that's about the only thing that AA can leverage to try and differentiates the two carriers. Miles are worth more to me than Live TV.

Here's what I posted at Flyertalk in response to similar questions:

Two possibilities:

1. A protracted fare war with B6 in the hopes that it can be sent to Ch 11 and maybe to Ch 7. Despite its cash infusion from LH, B6 is not real flush with cash. Anyway, Very unlikely. Not gonna happen.

2. Another "Fly 2, Fly Free" style of mileage bonanza. Miles are cheap when you own the printing press and control redemption.

I predict some bloodshed on the transcons. Look for UA and AA to offer mega-mile bonus bonanzas to their frequent flyers in addition to fare matches. Live TV and a few inches of pitch v. upgrades and free tickets. It should be an interesting summer.

I'll choose the upgrades and the huge bonus mile potential.

This isn't a big deal. JetBlue is adding zero capacity to the JFK-Los Angeles market, they are simply transferring three JFK-LGB frequencies to JFK-LAX.

AA has more to worry about when VX launches Miami later this year.

If they make it that long.... I know Branson has deep pockets, but he's limited on what he can inject, and they're not doing too hot...

According to friends in SFO and NYC who have been flying on VX, they've only been averaging 30-40 people on transcons. That's not gonna work for too long.

This isn't a big deal. JetBlue is adding zero capacity to the JFK-Los Angeles market, they are simply transferring three JFK-LGB frequencies to JFK-LAX.

AA has more to worry about when VX launches Miami later this year.

same with LAX-BOS - they dropped 1 BOS-LGB for the new BOS-LAX

They have no choice but to move stuff from LGB -- they're max'd out on slots, and can't get anymore because the airport doesn't want to create anymore slots.

It will be interesting to see how LAX works out for them. The advantage they've had at LGB is that it's a great airport to depart and arrive from, and a lot of their marketing has pushed that convenience factor. The folks that love B6 today because of LGB may not be as excited when they have to move up the 405...

They have no choice but to move stuff from LGB -- they're max'd out on slots, and can't get anymore because the airport doesn't want to create anymore slots.

It will be interesting to see how LAX works out for them. The advantage they've had at LGB is that it's a great airport to depart and arrive from, and a lot of their marketing has pushed that convenience factor. The folks that love B6 today because of LGB may not be as excited when they have to move up the 405...

Move up the 405... Move up the 405 :lol: When was the last time anything moved on the 405 at all? :down: