What's Piedmont Up To?

matika

Feb 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Went to a group interview last week for Piedmont Airlines in PHL for the position of flight attendant.

We were a little surprised at how things went down. For one thing, there were only 12 of us (okay so the pay isn't great...). We had to go through introductions, why we wanted to fly for Piedmont, etc.

There is a "cut list" about midway through the group interview. After all the introductions were made and we completed two essay questions, we were sent out to the lobby.

Only six of us made it. The rest were sent packing, including me. I was a bit puzzled as to their criteria, and so was another woman who was cut. I am a former PSA gate agent (as many of you may already know, PSA ceased ground operations in PIT, where I worked, at the end of last year) and am pretty familliar with a lot of aspects of the airline industry; the other woman was a former express flight attendant.

Even more puzzling to us was that one applicant in particular had been kept over us. She was a bartender, had horrible presentation and stumbled over her mock announcement.

As we waited for the shuttle to the airport, one of the "rejectees" had a valid, and interesting, point: Every single person who had been sent away was from the North. Most if not all of the ones the interviewers retained were from the South. (We knew where most everybody was from because they mentioned it in their introductions.)

Is this a coincidence? Did we make too much out of nothing? Or are they only looking for flight attendants for the bases in the South?

I really don't know what to think. But it certainly seemed skewed to us.

Youre probably better off not being hired at this time. Now is not the time to start working for an airline due to schedule reductions in the works. Its always the people at the bottom who get the first round of layoffs. My suggestion is to find more stable employment and stay away from the airline industry. I am surprised Piedmont is actually going thru the hiring motions in the current scheme of things.

Went to a group interview last week for Piedmont Airlines in PHL for the position of flight attendant.

Only six of us made it. The rest were sent packing, including me. I was a bit puzzled as to their criteria, and so was another woman who was cut.

I really don't know what to think. But it certainly seemed skewed to us.

I don't mean for this to come out as harsh, but your question here may be giving you the answer you are seeking without your even knowing it.

This airline, and Mainline, is full of people with a sense of "entitlement." They feel they have a right to their jobs because of XYZ reason, and it comes across in their job performance and in the way they interact with the customer.

You worked as a PSA gate agent. Does that automatically make you qualified to be a flight attendant? No. Did that sense of entitlement come across in your interview? Perhaps. So what if the person stumbled in her interview. Maybe she was nervous. It's the job of the interviewer to look for potential and underlying personality traits - the things that cannot be trained.

IMO, the "the reason they continued in the interview process is because they were from a certain part of the country" argument is just sour grapes on your part.