What's Wrong With This Picture Dave S.

CaptBud330

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Dave, if you read this, why not tell BB there is money to be made in the airline business. Seems the only thing we lead the pack at is inept management.
TRAFFIC -- Revenue Passenger Miles (RPMs):
1- JetBlue posted a 66.9% increase in RPMs.
2- AirTran posted a 37.6% increase in RPMs.
3- ATA posted a 25.2% increase in RPMs.
4- Southwest posted a 10.6% increase in RPMs.
5- Alaska posted a 9.3% increase in RPMs.
6- America West posted a 5.7% increase in RPMs.
7- Continental posted a 2.1% increase in RPMs.

8- American posted a 1.7% decrease in RPMs.
9- US Airways posted a 1.7% decrease in RPMs.
10- Delta posted a 2.6% decrease in RPMs.
11- Northwest posted a 2.9% decrease in RPMs.
12- United posted a 4.1% decrease in RPMs.

CAPACITY -- Available Seat Miles (ASMs):
1- JetBlue posted a 57.7% increase in ASMs.
2- AirTran posted a 26.0% increase in ASMs.
3- ATA posted a 23.4% increase in ASMs.
4- Alaska posted a 7.9% increase in ASMs.
5- Southwest posted a 3.8% increase in ASMs

6- America West posted a 1.8% decrease in ASMs.
7- Delta posted a 3.1% decrease in ASMs.
8- Continental posted a 4.0% decrease in ASMs.
9- American posted a 5.9% decrease in ASMs.
10- Northwest posted a 6.2% decrease in ASMs.
11- United posted a 11.0% decrease in ASMs.
12- US Airways posted a 11.2% decrease in ASMs.

PASSENGERS CARRIED IN SEPTEMBER:
(number of passengers carried in parenthesis)
1- JetBlue posted a 50.7% increase in passengers carried (691,432)
2- AirTran posted a 31.1% increase in passengers carried (862,715)
3- ATA posted a 19.2% increase in passengers carried (741,758)
4- Southwest posted a 7.4% increase in passengers carried (5,082,544)
5- Alaska posted a 4.4% increase in passengers carried (1,144,700)

6- Northwest posted a 0.2% decrease in passengers carried (4,033,079)
7- Delta posted a 1.8% decrease in passengers carried (7,916,061)
8- United posted a 5.1% decrease in passengers carried (5,125,000)
9- American posted a 5.7% decrease in passengers carried (6,517,298)
10- US Airways posted a 10.6% decrease in passengers carried (2,867,160)
(note: Continental and America West do not disclose passengers carried
numbers)

Bud,

I totally agree with you!!! How about it, labor unfriendly Dave?????????
I smell a rat and a BS.

Gentlemen:

I don't think you get it. Lorseigelzo is shrinking the airline. He is turning it into (his words) a "super regional". Of course that statistics mentioned, rpm's, asm's, and pax carried are a direct result of the shrinking. That is the plan. Apparantly his idea is that we make money if we shrink and allow the rj's to fly the thin routes ie. pit-atl pit-msp pit-bos pit-phl while we cherry pick the carribean. Yes, it is true, I have flown on rj's between pit-bos and pit-phl.

Problem is, he is not making money. His plan is flawed. The first inkling of that for me was when the govenment thought his plan was good enough to give us a loan guarantee. You know, our government. With it's incredible good judgement on social security, deficit spending, $500.00 toilet seats etc... . While others are going to show profits for the 3rd quarter, we have been told to expect yet another loss because "the revenue is still off". Remember Lorseigelzo told us that TRAFFIC was off and not showing strength when he attempted to hold on to our 5%. Then we showed record LOAD factors. His story changes as the excuses are needed. Now he is attempting to farm out the maintenance just as he farmed out our flying to the rj's. Delta, AMR, NWA, CAL and the rest used rj's to enhance their route structure. Lorseigelzo is using rj's to replace our route structure. And the flying public is NOT going to fly in a lawn dart on us if they can get in a real jet on another carrier. That is the fatal flaw in his plan.

What's wrong with this picture is simply that Lorseigelzo is in charge. He is using mathematical formulas and Harvard theories in an attempt to run an airline. He will fail and we will all be out of work unless the BOD recognizes that they need someone who has airline sense and intelligence to lead us to profitability. Someone like Mullen, Bethune, Neeleman or Kelleher. Lorseigelzo may be able to get coffee for those guys but he can't hold a candle to their expertise or common sense.

mr

With all respect, take your head out of the sand, and don't think US Airways is reducing ASM's.

US Airways, one of the four wholly owned subsidiaries of US Air Group may have reduced ASMs by 1.7%. Two others, ALG and PDT have reduced ASMs in the double digits.

Now take a look at the increases in ASMs for Mesa and Chautauqua, who thanks to the restructuring agreement and LOA 83 are the REAL US Airways.

Mesa's increase in ASMs since the period last year is of the order of 60%, not sure of CHQ but it should be well up there.

US Airways itself is losing ASMs, but the operation as a whole is not reducing flying, it's transferring it and growing it at Mesa and Chautauqua.

But that's what a Franchise is all about, isn't it.

Please take heads out of the sand, look around, and realise that those piddling little outsource issues, be it maintenance or flying, are the insidious disease that will end it all.

Keep it all in the Group and grow. Let it go and say Bye Bye US Airways - the Airline. Welcome US Airways the Franchise.

TBONEJ4J said:
Keep it all in the Group and grow. Let it go and say Bye Bye US Airways - the Airline. Welcome US Airways the Franchise.
Trouble is, that is NOT what we all signed the concession packages for! To be lied to, deceived, just plain S**** on was not part of the deal! This is OUR airline and you’re saying let them have it after we built it and took HUGE sacrifices to save it! You sir take YOUR head of the sand!!

cavalier said:
TBONEJ4J said:
Trouble is, that is NOT what we all signed the concession packages for! To be lied to, deceived, just plain S**** on was not part of the deal! This is OUR airline and you’re saying let them have it after we built it and took HUGE sacrifices to save it! You sir take YOUR head of the sand!!
I'll second that. If one accepts that deals can be broken because "that's just the way it is", than why would supporters of a deal express dismay when employees balk in suspiscion? It's almost as the working class has already been sufficiently marginalized and just don't want to realize it...as seen from the ones that pull the strings.

tbone:

(That's what George Costanza wanted to be called). The "franchise" as you define it is full of rj's or j4j's, as your name suggests, and about to become even more full. My point is simply that if a pax has a choice between an rj or a large jet at the same price it is a no brainer. Especially the pax who fly a lot. You know, our bread and butter. Business guys. The emb-170 is an rj attempt to give the pax more room but the fact is that it won't hold a candle to the 319 series or the Boeings. Or compete PIT-ATL when Airtran and Delta are flying big jets. Which jet would you get in if the price and schedule were the same? If you were wearing a business suit.

Yes, we need the rj's for the thin routes. But since when is ATL, BOS, and LGA out of PIT a "thin" route. Just Wednesday I was at the gate next to a PIT-LGA rj flight that was out of balance because of a full pax load. They took a delay to shift baggage to get it right. That's right after I missed my PIT-TYS flight as a non-rev because the flight was overweight but had 6 empty seats on a Dornier. Great way to run a "franchise" eh? This guy is tearing down the golden arches and putting up plastic tarps while he attempts to do something that is doomed to fail. Namely, replacing mainline jets with rj's rather than enhancing our route network as the Delta "franchise" did with ASA, Comair and others. He is trying to fly an rj between DCA and MCO as I understand it. Is he serious?

This guy, Lorseigelzo, doesn't have a clue. The "franchise" is in deep do-do if he thinks he can convince experienced flyers to use our "franchise" vs. any other that gives people a choice of large aircraft. The pardigm shift was using rj's as feeders. He reads it as using rj's as mainline aircraft. He is wrong. And our "franchise" and the people who work in it are the ones who are going to suffer. In case you haven't noticed, we already are.

mr

PineyBob said:
The problem is that nothing is guaranteed in business or in life. Stuff happens and like it or don't, a company is not obligated to to ANYONE other than the shareholders period.
Bob, the contracts that they signed, what about the contracts they signed? Are you saying it's ok to break every contract and make us fight them in court? Is this OK in today’s business world? If it is, then it's time we all as the working class declare total and complete war on corporate America to stop this insanity! Shut down the entire country like France does, play harder ball then they do and hold tight until will prevail.

PineyBob said:
cavalier said:
PineyBob said:
The problem is that nothing is guaranteed in business or in life. Stuff happens and like it or don't, a company is not obligated to to ANYONE other than the shareholders period.
Bob, the contracts that they signed, what about the contracts they signed? Are you saying it's ok break every contract and make us fight them in court? Is this OK in today’s business world? If it is, then it's time we all as the working class declare total and complete war on corporate America to stop this insanity! Shut down the entire country like France does, play harder ball then they do and hold tight until will prevail.
Cav,
I can't really disagree with your statement except please don't compare us to the French.
It was the point Bob, the point to stick together as one united and very powerful force so that corporate America will have no choice but to deal in good faith without the underhanded tactics that are so common and have become accepted practice for business in this country.

".....Trouble is, that is NOT what we all signed the concession packages for! To be lied to, deceived, just plain S**** on was not part of the deal! This is OUR airline and you’re saying let them have it after we built it and took HUGE sacrifices to save it! You sir take YOUR head of the sand!! ....."

Read my post again. I do not say let them have it. I am saying they already have it.

It is OUR airline and we did build it up and took HUGE sacrifices to save it. It is time to take the Airline back where it belongs, with those who built it up.

But as we speak it is being given away to lowball operators who are growing exponentially while US Airways itself is fading away.

US Airways must not be allowed to be operated as a Franchise. Stop Outsourcing/Contracting now, or very soon all it will be is a Franchise.

Back