When will SWA go to Hawaii???

Even the pricing for San Jose to Kona is only $79 starting on May 12th.
Curious to how full the planes are coming back? Most like to stay for a week or more so just wondering how well we were doing for the first flights back to the states. Can anyone report how the advertising is doing in Hawaii?
Hope these prices stay for the first year. This will really drive the numbers over to SWA if they do.
I smell a huge fare war coming.
Are we even covering our cost with these ticket prices so low???

Hawaiian Holdings (HA) Down in Yesterday's Trading: Here's Why

Southwest Just Launched Flights to Hawaii and the Deals Are Insanely Cheap
Money

Those Southwest Airlines $49 tickets to Hawaii are sold out with limited other cheap fares left
USA TODAY

Some interesting highlights in this interview with our CEO.
He mentions we had a great 2018, Hawaii starting and expanding in 2019, even teases about new bigger revenue income coming in in 2020. Along with the new tax reform, and now Hawaii, and the new revenue income, seems now would be a great time to get our new contract out of the way.
Another hint of future income revenues coming, he did indicate that they will be going after some codeshare flying with some other airline partners. Now the Pilots will have a heads up of what to expect in their contract nego's coming next year. It is a form of outsourcing for the Pilots. So we will see how they will get treated for the co. wanting more "flexibility" from the Pilots as they did with us.

We will have the 'Southwest Effect' for Hawaii flights, says Southwest CEO
CNBC Videos

Now IF I'm reading the posted schedule correctly, WN..ONLY has 3 n/s flts. to HNL.
2 from OAK, and 1 from SJC.
If this is correct, then AA isn't the slightest affected from LAX, and (somewhat ditto) for UAL from SFO !!
And you think passengers won't detour to San Jose in order to get a $49 flight (or even a $149 fare) to Hawaii? I find that level of naivete refreshing in someone your age, Bears. :rolleyes: A lot of the LAX-HNL traffic is connecting from other airports in the U.S. It's easy enough to switch the first leg to San Jose or Oakland.

It's one of the reasons why there are usually a few seats for non-revvers on LAX-HNL. Why should anyone who already lives in the Paradise of Los Angeles and surrounding want to go to Hawaii?

Last edited:
I thought at one time I read where SWA would start off with the 800's and move to the Max 8 eventually but not positive. We already have about 35 Max 8's so it's beyond me why they have not certified one for ETOPS if this was their plans. If it would be cheaper, I don't see why they would not consider it. But now, they may have to step back a bit.

I thought at one time I read where SWA would start off with the 800's and move to the Max 8 eventually but not positive. We already have about 35 Max 8's so it's beyond me why they have not certified one for ETOPS if this was their plans. If it would be cheaper, I don't see why they would not consider it. But now, they may have to step back a bit.

Thanx swamt, for the reply.
I'm a bit curious as to why WN has not grounded the 738M temporarily , such as AA, Norwegian and several other first world countries have ?

NHBB, you are misinformed if you think that AA has grounded the MAX 8's. They have not done so, and have put out more than one statement that they do not intend to. In fact the APFA has asked the company to ground those airplanes, but got no response AFAIK. Most of the grounding are not voluntary. In countries outside the U.S., airlines are grounding the MAX 8s on instructions from their country's FAA equivalent. In fact, Australia, UK, and Canada have gone so far as to ban Max 8 flights into/out of/or EVEN FLY OVER their territory.

Go here for more information. http://www.airlineforums.com/thread...-data-gives-it-confidence.62032/#post-1322612

Last edited:
Thanx swamt, for the reply.
I'm a bit curious as to why WN has not grounded the 738M temporarily , such as AA, Norwegian and several other first world countries have ?
Think about it Hamp. All non USA airlines are grounding them. None of the USA airlines are grounding them. You really have to ask, why is that? Think about it. Read between the lines in all the articles covering this. There really is a message within them. And, I think Boeing has even flirted with a slight blame already, did you miss that?

Think about it Hamp. All non USA airlines are grounding them. None of the USA airlines are grounding them. You really have to ask, why is that? Think about it. Read between the lines in all the articles covering this. There really is a message within them. And, I think Boeing has even flirted with a slight blame already, did you miss that?

Plz. don't misunderstand me, swamt. I'm not doubting that some stink will blow on Boeing. I'm feeling like the US carriers are taking a 'somewhat' defiant position on the 738M, while the current Administration 'seems to be', not 'leaning on the FAA', from reports that I've seen/heard.

Plz. don't misunderstand me, swamt. I'm not doubting that some stink will blow on Boeing. I'm feeling like the US carriers are taking a 'somewhat' defiant position on the 738M, while the current Administration 'seems to be', not 'leaning on the FAA', from reports that I've seen/heard.
The problem is the MCAS system designed to trim the nose down, for high angles of attack. This system was installed by Boeing to compensate for the Leap engines being further fwd, and the handling characteristics. Plus the fact the Horizontal stabilizer is smaller than the NG. Boeing position will be to blame the inexperienced pilots, if this sticks is anyone's guess.

The problem is the MCAS system designed to trim the nose down, for high angles of attack. This system was installed by Boeing to compensate for the Leap engines being further fwd, and the handling characteristics. Plus the fact the Horizontal stabilizer is smaller than the NG. Boeing position will be to blame the inexperienced pilots, if this sticks is anyone's guess.

738M's G R O U N D E D !!!!!!!!!!!!

About time. What took so long? Boeing will get hammered over this. But they will in fact try to push that blame off of them and onto the inexperienced Pilot training in non US countries.
I am hearing of a possible software update coming very soon. If not in March, maybe by April. Then where will the blame go?