When will SWA go to Hawaii???

Well I hope SWA can get in there ASAP and hire some of the Island Air employees. I'm just afraid it it will be some time before we get there. If I were to guess, sometime in or after Oct 2018.

We better hurry! :D

Now this article kind of bothers me. If all these airlines build up their flights just because SWA announced the Hawaii flights I predict a fare war coming. SWA will have to do some sort of cheap entry fare to start stealing some passengers. Maybe Herb could bring back the ole "free bottle of whisky" with every purchase. I am positive Wild Turkey would be more than happy to join the event, Herbs favorite...

2017 brought significant changes to Hawaii airline service

What size bottle and where would you reward them with the "free bottle of whiskey?" If you give it to them in the airport before/after the flight, you must make sure that the state taxes are paid on every bottle distributed. Also, if it is any size larger than a 1 drink miniature, and if distributed before boarding then if the passenger wants to consume the liquor during the flight, the bottle must be surrendered to the flight attendant to pour the liquor for the drink (also FAR). Flight attendants are probably not going to be happy about that extra work and keeping straight which bottle belongs to which passenger. This FAR arose from incidents of passengers bringing their own bottle of liquor in carry-on luggage, then ordering a mixer (water, coke, tonic water, etc) and fixing their own drinks, and getting drunk inflight. I'm not sure, but I think that if there is any liquor left in the bottle at the end of the flight, it can not be returned to the passenger, the flight crew would have to dispose of it.

We used to be able to give out splits of champagne to newlyweds and/or extra miniatures of liquor to frequent flyers. No more. States complained to the FAA that the airlines were cheating them out of tax revenue. so now, if you give it to them on the plane, then it must be consumed on the plane--FAA regulations.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.575

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. I had no clue what the laws were with alcohol on board. Maybe a voucher to redeem later at a liquor store. Heck, if I received a free bottle I would be ok with paying the taxes only at pick up. But I know, some folks would complain. My main cause was to bring up the ole days when Herb would come up with very different ways to attract passengers or settle disputes with other airlines. I really miss Herb. I have met him, and flown with him many times. He use to stroll thru the hangars hugging all the ladies, greeting all the mechanics and maint employees. Herb ALWAYS took time to mingle amongst the employees. I have only seen GK once in the hangars and that was back when it was announced that we were purchasing AirTran. Haven't seen or heard from him since.

Thanks for that info. I had no clue what the laws were with alcohol on board. Maybe a voucher to redeem later at a liquor store. Heck, if I received a free bottle I would be ok with paying the taxes only at pick up. But I know, some folks would complain. My main cause was to bring up the ole days when Herb would come up with very different ways to attract passengers or settle disputes with other airlines. I really miss Herb. I have met him, and flown with him many times. He use to stroll thru the hangars hugging all the ladies, greeting all the mechanics and maint employees. Herb ALWAYS took time to mingle amongst the employees. I have only seen GK once in the hangars and that was back when it was announced that we were purchasing AirTran. Haven't seen or heard from him since.
Yeah miss him too, if he was still here, our contract would be done.

You would not pay the taxes, Southwest would. If you think that was complicated, realize that every state has laws (other than FARs) regarding alcohol on airplanes. For instance, if you are departing from a Texas airport on a Sunday, liquor may not be served on the ground--pre-departure beverage, (this may be a "before 12 noon" requirement, I don't remember). If your destination is also in Texas (in Texas airspace for whole flight) liquor may not be sold/served at all on Sunday. The Baptists will see to that.:mad:

I see. Yea we still cannot buy any alcohol prior to 12 noon in Texas on Sunday.

My mother would agree with you 100%. If ya brain fart on getting beverages on Fri. or Sat night, then ya gotta go Sun. morn. during kick off and first quarter.

Is there any info on who is going to be doing the ETOPS maintenance on the SWA 73's?

Is there any info on who is going to be doing the ETOPS maintenance on the SWA 73's?
No that is what the potential lawsuit is about, any intermediate checks, a line check is our work, which is why the company ask for relief in negotiations. So we finally have something to bargain with.

Latest posts