When will SWA go to Hawaii???

Here are a couple of interesting articles that I think will have a lot to do with Hawaii. Notice in 2nd article the added 10 Max 8's to arrive 4th Q 2018 instead of 2019. I would guess that these are for the start of Hawaii flights. The first article is announcing 4 airports SWA will fly to in Hawaii...

Southwest Airlines says it will fly to four Hawaii destinations

BusinessBloomberg
Southwest Claims Boeing 737 Max Crown with $4.7 Billion Deal
Really good news swamt :D! I wonder if any of the Hawaii gates are some that we acquired from ATA (TZ).

Last edited:
Here are a couple of interesting articles that I think will have a lot to do with Hawaii. Notice in 2nd article the added 10 Max 8's to arrive 4th Q 2018 instead of 2019. I would guess that these are for the start of Hawaii flights. The first article is announcing 4 airports SWA will fly to in Hawaii...

Southwest Airlines says it will fly to four Hawaii destinations

BusinessBloomberg
Southwest Claims Boeing 737 Max Crown with $4.7 Billion Deal
That's some good news , the other day N700WN came through my station , that was the very first 700 NG SWA got in 1998.Hard to believe that aircraft is 20 years old, time flies.

That's some good news , the other day N700WN came through my station , that was the very first 700 NG SWA got in 1998.Hard to believe that aircraft is 20 years old, time flies.
Time really does fly when your older. Won't be much longer until we are retired...

Now this is good news too. SWA will start island hopping after start up in Hawaii of flights. This is what I suggested from the get go we should do. Island hopping is lucrative in Hawaii. Hawaiian airlines uses 717's for island hopping, and smaller liners are using puddle jumpers to do it. The 800's and Max 8 will be an added bonus size aircraft for the island hopping. More room and more seats.
Would be nice to leave them over there and start a small line maint facility to help maintain them over there. But might be cheaper to maintain them in Cal.

BusinessBloomberg
Southwest Has Its Sights on Inter-Island Hawaii Flights

Don't make Delta's mistake and just assume that Alaska will lose business to you. There is a lot of brand loyalty for Alaska on the West Coast.
I hear ya. Just passing on what some analyst are saying.

Here's more with added dates for the interisland flights. Also note that Hawaii will take up to 40% of future growth in aircraft over the next few years. If we get bigger due to demand it could get even more. Most of these articles are all saying the say stuff, but this one claims the island hopping by 19 or 20...

"The level of service described here would require devoting at least 15 airplanes to Hawaii flights. Southwest Airlines also wants to operate some interisland flights starting in late 2019 or 2020, which will require at least a few more planes. In total, this would soak up 40% of Southwest's fleet growth for the next two years."

Southwest Airlines Reveals More Details of Its Hawaii Plan -- And It's Bad News for Alaska Air

Possible, but I'm not sure that I buy the argument that because Southwest owns the San Jose to Denver and Dallas routes, that they will automatically and immediately take over the majority of the San Jose to Hawaii traffic. And, I'm just using San Jose as an example. This might also apply to the other 3 California cities which are slated for flights.

Also, don't forget that Alaska and Hawaiian airlines are not the only airlines providing service to Hawaii from the mainland. It will be interesting to see how United, Delta, and American deal with Southwest's entry into this market. They all have service to Hawaii, and It's a long enough flight to create an automatic market for a First Class cabin offering meals and drinks on the house. Pick just about any day within the next 2 months and look at American service to Hawaii from LAX, PHX, and DFW and you will find that First Class is already sold out (or near to it). (There are those "hardy" folks who think roughing it when one travels means there is only one movie shown on a 4 hour flight.) And, in fact United started beefing up their mainland to Hawaii service last year in response to the SWA first announcements about Hawaii service. I don't know if United is still offering the $99 fares to Hawaii, and those seats are probably in the "Where is your god now" economy section, but there are people who will put up with almost any inconvenience for a cheap fare. I know someone who flew BHM-CLT-PHX-SEA to save less than $100 on a trip to SEA!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...kes-play-become-top-airline-hawaii/102806660/

As I said, it's gonna get interestinger and interestinger over the next year or so. Hawaii is a lucrative market regardless of season. People travel there for vacations year-round. I would be surprised if any of the airlines serving that market just withdraw and cede the market to Southwest. The problem for them will be finding a competitive pitch other than low-cost. If United goes back to the $99 fare approach, Southwest has much deeper pockets. They will not have a problem matching cheap fares for any length of time you want to specify.

Last edited:
Jim, I think the fact that we don't have a first class will hurt us a little, but, with that said, most already know SW doesn't have it and will still fly to save a buck or two.
I guess the analyst are looking at the "potential" of available customers in order to make that call, but your right, doesn't make it automatic. I am hoping for even lower fares to Hawaii and they stay, but just don't know if they will get much lower.

Really good news swamt :D! I wonder if any of the Hawaii gates are some that we acquired from ATA (TZ).

Here's more news. And added international article. Future growth for us for several years to come is really great news...

Fare fight: Alaska Airlines ready to battle Southwest Airlines in Hawaii, CEO Brad Tilden says

Couldn't provide the international article but the title is
Southwest set it sight on international flights, including South America

Maybe this will work:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/b07...94a4e296c4a/southwest-sets-its-sights-on.html

Latest posts