When will SWA go to Hawaii???

It may not be in Oct. but SWA could still have a flight over by end of year.
Of course now there is a hurricane headed right for Hawaii, just our luck huh? Right after the volcano eruption, not good for businesses in Hawaii and surely not good for SWA to fire up their first flights. Maybe, just maybe all flights (being started by SWA) should be put off until everything settles down after the big storm passes and most rebuilding is done.

Business Forbes
Update On When Southwest Airlines Flights To Hawaii Will Start

Ok, now Hawaii Airlines will also join the others in increasing their bag fees. Maybe a bad time when SWA will be coming in the short future with "bags fly free".
But hey, this will help us grow very quickly once we hit Hawaii running. Then, it will also help us slam the inter island hopping after we get in and get settled. Hawaii will be huge for Southwest. With this latest announcement of Hawaii Airlines increasing their baggage rates, will only help SWA take off in Hawaii...

Hawaiian Airlines Raises Bag Fees to Match Rivals

Just another teaser. There might be an announcement, maybe, by year end.
If SWA will keep the bags flying free over to Hawaii, we will sell out on a regular basis, especially with our introductory fares and the Southwest effect will prevail yet again. I just hope we are also able to kick off the inner island flights rather quickly as well.
BTW; the title is rather misleading. Sooner than we thought? I don't think so. We all knew it wouldn't be this year, and that it would happen in 2019, so not sure where they are getting "sooner than we thought" phrase...

Southwest’s Hawaii Flights Are Coming Sooner Than We Thought

Reactions: SharoninSAT
Must admit I did not see this coming. Southwest to pull out of bidding for the added Havana flights that AA is giving up in order to focus on Hawaii flights in 1st Q 2019.
No ticket sales were started in 2018 like SWA wanted. Now they are predicting 1st Q of 2019. Gotta ask, are they having difficulties selling the ETOPS program to the FAA? IDK. Or is it simply just taking longer than expected?
At any rate, we have our nego's near the end of this month and early next month, guess we will see how they go and if they are tied together some way. They have had plenty of time to go over the unions offer from last year. Very curious to the companies response coming at the table.
I know this is not the mediation thread, but some are thinking and talking that the two are related but not a show stopper, so I guess we will see once we get back to the table.
Can anyone guess or explain "Hawaii hurdles"?
I will add, company is pushing extremely hard on the ETOPS training CBT's currently due before end of Jan.

Southwest says nevermind to Cuba expansion, cites Hawaii hurdles

Southwest flew a flight out of Oakland on a 4 hour over-water of the pacific.. Probably a ETOPS proving trial.. I think the hold up now is the scope clause with the union..

Southwest flew a flight out of Oakland on a 4 hour over-water of the pacific.. Probably a ETOPS proving trial.. I think the hold up now is the scope clause with the union..
Yes. And they still have some more flights that must be performed with FAA officials on board, but from what we are hearing two major hurdles are done.
So I guess the company is saying it all has to do with timing as they (the co.) has been told all along that it will be 12-18 months not around 12 months like the company wanted to get er done. If we can get the Hawaii flights off the ground by March and/or April would be great. Maybe even just in time for the spring breakers. Cheap flights for the college kids would be a no brainer for spring break. A great time to spread our wings into Hawaii, but, we must kick off the inner island hopping at the same time if we can. I think the inner island hopping will be just as good as the Hawaii flights from the main land if not more so with added jet power and seats.
Cheers to more positive good news in 2019...

Here lies a question, did SWA wait too long to start the Hawaii flights??
Alaska was first to add growth after SWA announcement for Hawaii and now Sun Country is joining ALK and adding Hawaii flights before we even sell a ticket.
Hopefully we will beat Sun Country's prices in a fare war. It will be the only way to get our seats full with all these airlines adding flights from Cali...

WN says no HI flights soon due to the shutdown.

I know. Just hate seeing Hawaii delayed even more. I think Hawaii will be extremely profitable for us, especially when we start the inner island hopping.

HI isn’t as big of a money maker you think.

Lots of competition and a 737 with CFMs are not made for intra-island short hops.

That why 732s and 717s are/were used.

HI isn’t as big of a money maker you think.

Lots of competition and a 737 with CFMs are not made for intra-island short hops.

That why 732s and 717s are/were used.
The BR 715 on the 717 did not like short cycles lots of engine problems until Delta and Rolls Royce finally sorted them out.

Reactions: Kev3188

Latest posts