When will SWA go to Hawaii???

I believe your are not correct.

HA has been flying them for years intraisland and didn’t have issues.

DL aqcuired them like 15 years after HA.

I believe your are not correct.

HA has been flying them for years intraisland and didn’t have issues.

DL aqcuired them like 15 years after HA.
The last in flight shut down Hawaii had on their 717 was Nov 3, 2018. Airtran had several that's one reason SWA didn't want the 717. The turbine section lets go on the BR715. I would take a CFM 56, or a V2500 over a BR715 anyday.

And ANA had a double engine shutdown on a 787 on landing the other day.

And didn’t you all have an uncontained failure on a CFM 56 that killed a lady?

Every engine type has had a failure.

HA is very happy with the BR715 engine.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...ce-installs-200th-br715-engine-(june-19).html

And WN only flying 737s might have had something to do with it.

And on 1/16/19 a GOL 738 had a CFM56 shutdown inflight.

Last edited:
HI isn’t as big of a money maker you think.

Lots of competition and a 737 with CFMs are not made for intra-island short hops.

That why 732s and 717s are/were used.
I beg to differ with respect. With the bags flying free and the only airline doing it now, as well as the low fares beating out all others, pretty sure we will in short time be the customers choice for travel to Hawaii. Besides that the inner island travel will also pick up from the puddle jumpers and the smaller jets (717's) due to better comfort and more room. SWA will be putting on some huge fare sales to also promote some folks to leave other airlines and will offer a pretty big mileage bonuses to get er done.
Not saying any of this will just be easy-peasy as the competition will be intense, but over time pretty sure SWA will prevail as long as we stick with it and build the routes quickly...

And ANA had a double engine shutdown on a 787 on landing the other day.

And didn’t you all have an uncontained failure on a CFM 56 that killed a lady?

Every engine type has had a failure.

HA is very happy with the BR715 engine.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...ce-installs-200th-br715-engine-(june-19).html

And WN only flying 737s might have had something to do with it.

And on 1/16/19 a GOL 738 had a CFM56 shutdown inflight.
Swa has one in flight fatality in 40 years unfortunately, And one on the ground in Chicago. I ask you to look at the shut down record of the BR715 vs CFM 56. With our new inspection criteria with the Fan blades , probably not have another blade failure. Plus they are now life limited until that happened they just had to pass the inspection. When the 717 was the MD95 they tried to market it to the US Navy to replace the C9 s the Government refused because it had a foreign engine. When McDonnell Douglas originally developed it , it was supposed to have Pratts, then they decided to go with the BR715. Southwest will develop their markets perfectly fine.

Last edited:
You can post the data. It’s your point or claim.

HA has been flying the 717 for 18 years. I think if they had a problem they would have been long gone.

They even ferry them to MIA for overhaul with cabin fuel tanks.

Tuesday morning proving run OAK-HNL.

“Anticipated schedule for Hawaii flights below has just been updated, but will remain flexible pending final approval and actual flight announcement.

The FAA previously approved Southwest’s ETOPS plans and procedures. Simulation exercises and proving flights across the Pacific, plus staff training, are the last things to be completed. Those should happen quickly.

Ground crew in Hawaii are confirmed to have reported to work last week on Maui and Oahu.”

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawaii-airline-update/

According to sources the proving flights will be an actual online inbound ETOPS aircraft everyday this week starting Tuesday arriving from LAX at 07:00. The OAK ground crews will work the Turn as a real live ETOPS flight. Departure time said to be 0800-11:45 HNL (2hr turn) HNL 14:00-21:00 OAK.
And the bird will rotate back at 22:15 to LAX.
Wednesday the aircraft does an OAK-OGG-OAK.
Then Thursday it's OAK-HNL-OGG-OAK.
Friday and Saturday are planned diverts simulations.

“Anticipated schedule for Hawaii flights below has just been updated, but will remain flexible pending final approval and actual flight announcement.

The FAA previously approved Southwest’s ETOPS plans and procedures. Simulation exercises and proving flights across the Pacific, plus staff training, are the last things to be completed. Those should happen quickly.

Ground crew in Hawaii are confirmed to have reported to work last week on Maui and Oahu.”

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawaii-airline-update/
More good news. As long as the gov don't get shut down again. Pretty sure that SWA will hire the needed people as they did with the 3 inspectors they hired to get 3 new aircraft off the ground during shut down.
It really is too bad we missed the busy season for Hawaii.

More good news. As long as the gov don't get shut down again. Pretty sure that SWA will hire the needed people as they did with the 3 inspectors they hired to get 3 new aircraft off the ground during shut down.
And unfortunately the last stone some believed we had to throw at SWA management if we voted no. Some still try to preach it at my station, Government won't give SWA ETOPS without a mechanics contract. Which would explain SWA management wanting language changes in our contract for money. So do you still think AMFA is not outgunned?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There really isn't such a thing as a Hawaii non-busy season. At AA, we flew 2 767s/day on DFW-HNL route. Both flights were always full every day year-round. If you were lucky and trying to non-rev to HI, you would try one of the 4 flights/day from LAX. They sometimes had seats available.

Reactions: swamt

Good news? What?

I thought you said that SWA would not get ETOPS certication without an AMFA agreement?

I thought you said that was the leverage AMFA had to force the Company to come to a deal if they really wanted to fly to Hawaii?

Now it’s good news that SWA Management doesn’t need your Unions permission after all? Wow.