Where's The Love?

I don’t know why Alaska’s direction is being questioned. They seem to be one of the few airlines that had not been over reactionary since 911. Doing well actually. As far as Fubijaakr, I have a feeling it was some failed 200 training that has him yellow jacket mad.

I question the companies direction because of their current attempts at turning themselves into Jet Blue while still trying to hold onto their status as a carrier with all the frills. They are going to reduce turn times soon down to 30 minutes, they are eliminating practically all food up and down the west coast in coach and significantly reducing it in First Class so that there will no longer be hot meals served, except for several breakfast flights where they are serving just a light hot snack. There is talk of reducing much of Fleet Service in all out stations. Through all this management keeps harping on the need to become more like Jet Blue. The one thing they seem to forget, however, is that Jet Blue doesn't tell the passengers that they are going to have a full service experience and then give them a no frills experience. Jet Blue has clean, new planes with a friendly, enthusiastic crew (because they aren't having to explain all day where the meals went and why the plane is filthy). Jet Blue offers inflight entertainment at no charge on every flight in the continental U.S. - Management at Alaska doesn't know exactly what they are supposed to become they just know they have to find a way to cut costs, even though they have recorded a profit in the last two quarters and are currently on track to record a profit in the last quarter. As for the company not being over reactionary, well they waited a while longer but they are finally jumping on the chopping block band wagon with all the other airlines. And all that crap about not laying off is just that...... crap. Alaska layed off Fleet Service people and CSA's but nobody ever heard about that because the numbers weren't nearly as great as those at the other carriers.

Cart Pusher said:
I question the companies direction because of their current attempts at turning themselves into Jet Blue while still trying to hold onto their status as a carrier with all the frills. They are going to reduce turn times soon down to 30 minutes, they are eliminating practically all food up and down the west coast in coach and significantly reducing it in First Class so that there will no longer be hot meals served, except for several breakfast flights where they are serving just a light hot snack. There is talk of reducing much of Fleet Service in all out stations. Through all this management keeps harping on the need to become more like Jet Blue. The one thing they seem to forget, however, is that Jet Blue doesn't tell the passengers that they are going to have a full service experience and then give them a no frills experience. Jet Blue has clean, new planes with a friendly, enthusiastic crew (because they aren't having to explain all day where the meals went and why the plane is filthy). Jet Blue offers inflight entertainment at no charge on every flight in the continental U.S. - Management at Alaska doesn't know exactly what they are supposed to become they just know they have to find a way to cut costs, even though they have recorded a profit in the last two quarters and are currently on track to record a profit in the last quarter. As for the company not being over reactionary, well they waited a while longer but they are finally jumping on the chopping block band wagon with all the other airlines. And all that crap about not laying off is just that...... crap. Alaska layed off Fleet Service people and CSA's but nobody ever heard about that because the numbers weren't nearly as great as those at the other carriers.
I have not heard them once talk about JetBlue specifically. All fleet service have been recalled to my knowledge.

That was a nice advertisment for JB on the Alaska forum page. Your day will come my friend, it will come. JB will most likely continue to be a successful carrier, but the days of record profits, doubling profits from the previous year and the cool-aid in general will not be quite so refreshing.

Didn't JB just warn about Q4 earnings. Didn't DAL and Airtran run you out of ATL?

I saw an interview on CNBC with Neilman about 6-8 months ago. He even stated that he hopes JB can keep up the momentum. Interesting. As everyone else cleans up there operation, JB and the other startups, will have a tougher time. There are only so many Albanys and Syracuse you can fly to without any meaningful competition.

Thank you for listening to my rant, your turn to prove me wrong and continue to bash Alaska...The last great airline.

Well if we're comparing jetBlue vs. Alaska, Alaska has the best frequent flyer program in North America. jetBlue has probably the worst. And that builds strong loyalty among the customers who spend the most money - the business traveller.

mach none -

I hate to burst your bubble but..... my day came a LONG time ago. Truthfully, I couldn't care less whether you think I work for Jet Blue or Alaska but the fact remains that I work for Alaska and have for quite some time. I work in the inflight department where they constantly tell us that we have to change to become more like Jet Blue if we want to survive. I read Alaskas World where Bill Ayer, Gregg Saretsky, et al constantly babble about Jet Blue and Southwest having lower unit costs and our need to become more like them so that we too can have lower unit costs. I've been subject to the companies ridiculous work rule change proposals to turn us into slaves so that we can implement the "Alaska 2010" plan. Just recently, I've been made aware that our inflight management intends on taking a 4% pay raise next year if the F/A's accept the wage cuts that have been proposed. If you work at Alaska, as you tell use you do, and if you read Alaskas World, then you too would see the constant comparisons and statements about our need to become more like them.

As for Alaskas frequent flyer program, you're right Whlinder, it's a better program. In fact, I think it's probably one of the best in the industry, but you have to admit that with the changes for 2004, it's gotten worse. Alaska doesn't seem happy to be head and shoulders above the other airlines, now they want to suck just a little less.

Pusher,

I think you're right on a number of points. The primary one being that the Anglers are a bit schizo when it comes to where they want to take the operation.

They want LCC costs, but they want to provide a premium service. They want to provide all the perks (First Class, FF program, etc.) but they want to pay us LCC wages and benefits.

Which they will, if WE let them get away with it.

You can't have both, however. If you want LCC costs, dump the MDs, -400s and -200s. Get a fleet of NGs. Dump the First Class seats. Give the cargo operation to NAC. Quit building terminals in places like Gustavus to hide profits. Stop having off-site manager's conferences in CUN (BOI seems like a cheaper alternative).

And, you're exactly right about the Pravda "spin". It never ceases to amuse me how they can depict a 2Q $40M PROFIT as, "We only made $900K (sob!).

Pinch me...because I think Fubi just made some sense.

For the record...I *am* a Mileage Plan member...and yes...it's a great FQTV program! What we have at JetBlue has never been touted as a FQTV program, but rather a method of saying "thanks" to those who would be flying us a whole lot in any event (that's why we call it s "flight gratitude program). It's not a "reward" system in the regular sense of most FQTV programs and if compared to one, then yes, it pales in comparison. The bonus is has for us however is that it is almost entirely web-based (you can't even sign up for it manually), so it seemingly "runs itself"...read: lower overhead.

But I digress...

IMHO, the message AS management has sent to the FA group with this 4% increase on the backs of the FAs is unconscionable. If AS really wants to recreate itself with a new business model, the first things they have to understand (and in my history with them, they just never did) is you have to treat your employees right FIRST. Do the right thing. Don't just say it, but DO it! I just don't see how they expect to push the FA group to perform miraculous service (not to mention safety) feats with no tools and no support. Alaska does indeed have many truly stellar flight attendants, but even this group of fine professionals can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

I think Cart Pusher and I are on the same page...we just happen to wear different uniforms now. Cart Pusher "gets it"...I just hope Alaska Airlines figures it out too. I never wish ill on anyone at any other carrier...I guess since I invested 7 yrs. of sweat and tears at Alaska, I will always care about how things are going there and the people that have and continue to make it a proud airline.

Cart Pusher said:
I work in the inflight department where they constantly tell us that we have to change to become more like Jet Blue if we want to survive. I read Alaskas World where Bill Ayer, Gregg Saretsky, et al constantly babble about Jet Blue and Southwest having lower unit costs and our need to become more like them so that we too can have lower unit costs. I've been subject to the companies ridiculous work rule change proposals to turn us into slaves so that we can implement the "Alaska 2010" plan.... Alaska doesn't seem happy to be head and shoulders above the other airlines, now they want to suck just a little less.
Cart Pusher, you sound an awful lot like "AS Flyer" from the Flyertalk.com website. Are you the same person?

NWA/AMT said:
"Winning" slots might not be an issue if the slots can be purchased from USAirways.

The problem is that US doesn't have any "beyond the perimeter" slots, and even if they did, they cannot be sold or traded.

Alaska Airlines wouldn't have any use for a DCA slot that required an intermediate stop between SEA or LAX and DCA; they need those "beyond the perimeter" slots to allow for nonstop service to the West Coast.