Where's the Mesa Bashing?

PSA has more operational issues than MESA. Since MESA dedicated their CRJ-900 East operation base a couple of months ago to CLT, the airline has been operating favorably. Previously, they used IAH as their base for the CR9, but due to some scope clauses in their pilot contract they could not establish a CLT CRJ-900 base for a period of time.

MESA bash as you will. But, MESA crews are easier to deal with than PSA. In my opinion they have less maintenance issues than other US Express carriers.

Last month I had to fly Mesa from CLT to MYR. I was dreading the flight becuase of several Mesa experiences from years back. I must say I could not have been more surprised. The aircraft was clean, the flight attendants were professionally dressed, pleasant, and did a fantastic job on the short flight (we even arrived ahead of schedule).

I know one flight can't speak for all, but based on my recent experiences on PSA (which are much more numerous) at this point I'd almost prefer Mesa.

Last month I had to fly Mesa from CLT to MYR. I was dreading the flight becuase of several Mesa experiences from years back. I must say I could not have been more surprised. The aircraft was clean, the flight attendants were professionally dressed, pleasant, and did a fantastic job on the short flight (we even arrived ahead of schedule).

I know one flight can't speak for all, but based on my recent experiences on PSA (which are much more numerous) at this point I'd almost prefer Mesa.

I've flown a Mesa CRJ900 PHX-PSP and returning on a Dash8 PSP-LAS. Both times there was a full drink service(cans not cups) and the FA's were great on both flights. On the Dash8 PSP-LAS flight which was on Memorial Day 2006 , the FA made an announcement and made a toast for all the soldiers in Iraq, wished them health and all the best and gave a minute of silence. That was very curtious and she was one of the most proffesional FA's I have ever flown with. I found both planes to be very clean back in May06. Recently I have flown with Republic two times and I was severely dissapointed. Planes were dirty(suddenly the comfortable E170 becomes a dirty regional jet) and the FA's were horrible and one of them wore United items(the UA type scarf and a UA/Star Pin) dress instead of a USAir one. On both of my flights ORD-PIT which wasn't that long (but mainline USAir still does full Y service) and MSP-PHL which was 3 hours flight time there was NO drink offered. I had to literally walk up to the FA on the 170, find her chatting away and found them extremely rude pouring it and doing their ughh's. At one point I just told her give me a can and a cup or even just a can and Ill spare you from having to pour the stuff. On the other hand we have PHX-PSP(a 35 minute flight in the air) as well as a similarly short PSP-LAS and I have full beverage service like I recieve on a mainline flight (- the munchies). I did enjoy a Piedmont Dash 8 DCA-PHL flight much more than Republic, but no service at all. Mesa has been by far my favorite express carrier. Nonetheless, whether its Mesa, PI, PSA, Republic, Colgan, AWAC or any other express carrier I still try to book mainline as much as I can.

Sep stats were 98.x% completion rate and 80.5% on time, some of the best stats for YV operating for either HP or US.

for the month, they are again at 98.4/5% completion and on time is between 75 - 80%.

they've really turned things around.
It's pretty easy to have good numbers when you don't have ACARS and you blatantly lie about your times. I've heard MESA calling for push on the ramp frequency and telling them that they were out 20 minutes prior. Apples to oranges....

Ever Look at the USAirways WEST operation. Yes they have Acars, BUT- the Crews will pop the brake then reapply after the passenger service door is closed giving an OUT time. You can sit at the gate 10 more minutes loading bags, But you have an OUT ON-TIME

Ever Look at the USAirways WEST operation. Yes they have Acars, BUT- the Crews will pop the brake then reapply after the passenger service door is closed giving an OUT time. You can sit at the gate 10 more minutes loading bags, But you have an OUT ON-TIME

The "Airways West" opreation is the same as the "East" -- the CRJ 900s are flying under the HPX agreement, not USX. Parker & Team are giving Mesa 6 months to prove themselves before they considering giving them more CRJ 900s.

Regarding throwing the break, any pilot can do that, then it would blow overall A:14 arrivals with a late arrival. Did you also know you can turn ACARS off and manually put in the times? (I know some MDA crews that used to do that).

Friend "in the know" said that for October, there were only 24 cancels outside of PHX - so 24 out of 11,000 flights is NOT bad. She also said the ontime arrivals was 78.3%

The "Airways West" opreation is the same as the "East" -- the CRJ 900s are flying under the HPX agreement, not USX. Parker & Team are giving Mesa 6 months to prove themselves before they considering giving them more CRJ 900s.

Regarding throwing the break, any pilot can do that, then it would blow overall A:14 arrivals with a late arrival. Did you also know you can turn ACARS off and manually put in the times? (I know some MDA crews that used to do that).

Friend "in the know" said that for October, there were only 24 cancels outside of PHX - so 24 out of 11,000 flights is NOT bad. She also said the ontime arrivals was 78.3%
Mesa(dba Air Midwest) has done well by me , I have flown over 60 R/T segments with them and never had any problems as well as a few Mesa RJ's west. Even on the Beech 1900D's there's never been a problem.

Hey Piney, when was the last Mesa flight you were on?

I've seen these guys do a total turn-around lately. In fact, my Shuttle America & Skywest flights seem to be delayed or cancelled a lot more often than my Mesa flights... heck, I remember one day I was in Springfield, MO (and stuck!), ended up driving to Joplin to catch Air Midwest up to MCI to get out!

Keep in mind that Mesa considers the "out" time as the time in which the main cabin door is closed. At PSA our acars do not register an out time until the wheels are moving. So if a PSA flight is closed up and ready to go, but can't push back because of traffic, we are often times late. At Mesa, that would still be an on time departure.
Also, if we are not pushing back, but instead simply taxiing away from the gate, we lose at at least 2-3 minutes for engine start, checklist completion, and taxi clearance.

We as crews have brought up this disparity with our management many times. They say that it's just the way it is, and the folks in Tempe are well aware of the "apples to oranges" comparisons when looking at the numbers.

Mesa the most worthless airline i've ever seen , even worse than service air , if mesa seems to be doing better , that can only mean ONE thing , they've hired 5 people for each plane they have to get them in and out on time ... as soon as summer hits and the heat dies off on mesa airlines , you can expect 70 % of their work force to quit LIKE USUAL ... there is only ONE good thing about mesa airlines , and it's that compared to us airways , they have some nice looking flight attendants , that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about mesa... and heck , i really shouldn't have said that , but hey , it's christmass time , and so i thought i'd be giving ...there you go mesa , merry christmass...

Mesa the most worthless airline i've ever seen , even worse than service air , if mesa seems to be doing better , that can only mean ONE thing , they've hired 5 people for each plane they have to get them in and out on time ... as soon as summer hits and the heat dies off on mesa airlines , you can expect 70 % of their work force to quit LIKE USUAL ... there is only ONE good thing about mesa airlines , and it's that compared to us airways , they have some nice looking flight attendants , that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about mesa... and heck , i really shouldn't have said that , but hey , it's christmass time , and so i thought i'd be giving ...there you go mesa , merry christmass...

Gotta agree on the sexy FAs. I feel so bad for them sometimes. I feel like saying "come work for me baby". :blink: :shock: :lol: