Who was working on this aircraft?

robbed, you use the term "hard working mechanics" a lot. Would you care to define hard working for me? I can only recall a very few that I have actually worked hard. This is the most laid back job I have ever had, I can't even imagine what it was like when there were more mechanics here. There is a mechanic here that spends at least three hours a day in the break room reading the paper and magazines, When it is time to go I often here him commenting to the next crew as to what a tough day he had. So if you would please explain exactly what hard working means.

Interesting point of view you have there PTO, I'm sure if you're enjoying the gravy so much and supporting a tool box, that you don't mind walking up to your lead/manager, and say "Gee guys look at what a great job I'm doing!" Dodgers don't cut it in aviation mtc. Keep an eye over your shoulder, I'm sure someone is looking at your and your break room buddie's production.

Interesting point of view you have there PTO,

This is just the way it is. When I get to work its usually an hour at least till my first aircraft comes in. Then we are busting it for about two hours. Another hour and a half or two hours later we are busting it again for about another two hours. The next crew comes in and we call it a day. This is by no means a difficult job. I don't even know why you have to have a license to do it. Line mechanics are nothing more than parts exchangers with 90% of that being light bulbs. I am not impressed with this job as much as I am with the mechanics of the whole operation that makes an airline work.

This is just the way it is.

You have no clue how Line MTC really works, and I'm saddened to hear about your POV. When I worked second shift, from 1430 on we are out at a gate, talking with crews, checking O2, Engine Oil, and Hyd Fluid levels, and FIXING any repairable inbound write ups, if you can't fix it and it is deferrable, then defer it to the MEL, if it isn't get another plane and start busting butt to get it fixed and down the road. On Mids, the plane has been on the gnd for anywhere from 30 min to 2 hrs, and 2nd's hasn't had a chance to look at it. So you start out with an overnight check at minimum, any items deferred to the MEL, and any time control setups. The one or two guys who finish early (approx 0430-0500), go to the gates and hook up and start the operational shift. Sadly I have seen my old dept go straight to the crapper due to the incompetence of our mgmt, however that belongs on the DAL board. I'd like to see you scratching your head when you run into a DC-9 Pack Trip.

POV? We do everything you listed above, with an unbelievable efficiency. We had two delays today. One because it was delayed at another station thus automatically received a delay here. The other was on the ramp due to some loading issues. Kev has introduced me to a very cool tool.

Worldflight?

Actually, LMO Delay Reports. I wouldn't have found it though if you hadn't told me to look at what depts. were hit for what delays. I am still trying to figure out how they have the codes set up without looking each one up to tell what dept it represents. Ther has to be a way to tell just by looking at the code I have yet to see a pattern though.

As a rule, delays ending with an "M" are maintenance. Delays ending with an "S" are station delays, which can be anything from Catering to Security to loading.

You can get a sheet with all the codes (broken down by dept.) in just about any operations office.

The following was copied from AMFA web site March update...
Anybody see, hear or care to respond:

The fact is Northwest Airlines recently lost another wheel assembly. A NWA jetliner was in transition from take-off mode into climb-out mode leaving Detroit Metropolitan Airport when a wheel assembly broke off from the aircraft it was designed to stay attached to. Thankfully this time, like last time, no one got hurt on the ground or in the aircraft. This time the NWA aircraft overtook the wheel assembly. The last time a wheel assembly broke off a NWA jetliner was on landing in Memphis and that wheel assembly actually passed the NWA aircraft it was designed to stay attached to. The next time something breaks off a Northwest aircraft due to improper maintenance (yes that’s a given), they might actually catch it before it hits the ground and breaks again!

The following was copied from AMFA web site March update...
Anybody see, hear or care to respond:

The fact is Northwest Airlines recently lost another wheel assembly. A NWA jetliner was in transition from take-off mode into climb-out mode leaving Detroit Metropolitan Airport when a wheel assembly broke off from the aircraft it was designed to stay attached to. Thankfully this time, like last time, no one got hurt on the ground or in the aircraft. This time the NWA aircraft overtook the wheel assembly. The last time a wheel assembly broke off a NWA jetliner was on landing in Memphis and that wheel assembly actually passed the NWA aircraft it was designed to stay attached to. The next time something breaks off a Northwest aircraft due to improper maintenance (yes that’s a given), they might actually catch it before it hits the ground and breaks again!
wow! them scabs must be doing a hellva flawless job there at SCAB AIR

Yet another plane loses a wheel.....

Yesterday (07.April.06), flight 1876, a DC9-50 going MEM-IND, had to return to the field after losing one of it's main landing gear wheels....

Yet another plane loses a wheel.....

Yesterday (07.April.06), flight 1876, a DC9-50 going MEM-IND, had to return to the field after losing one of it's main landing gear wheels....
SCAB maintenance or not, these incidents at NWA are becoming all to frequent. I hope it does'nt happen but The Law Of Average is not looking favorably folks.

I gotta little gossip on this as well. I was told that we have lost three MLG tires on the 9's in the past two weeks. We might have broke AMFA's record. I would really like to get a close look at one of these 9's and the wheel assemblies. Apparently there is a half inch spacer that goes between the wheel assembly and the back of the axle that might or might not stick to the wheel assembly when removing it. I didn't have time to check the manual myself I'm just going of an alert I read at the shop and what the guys were telling me. If this spacer is missing the wheel assembly can move inboard and out board destroying the bearings until the wheel assembly can slide over the axel-nut. As of now all 9 break and tire changes require RII inspections. I would really like to see where the axle-nut sits when torqued without the spacer. It just seems to me that any mechanic should be able to look at it and say "hey something just isn't right here and discover their blunder." I don't know that for sure though, I've never seen what one looks like with out the spacer. It is a problem that will be corrected just as it was corrected when AMFA had their rash of 9 tires falling off. I would be willing to bet this has happened at every airline that operates the 9. I do agree with you guys though that these are some ignorant mistakes.