Widebody Route Shuffling Begins in 2016

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
Just announced that LAA 767-300s will operate PHL-ZRH this coming season, and LUS A330-200s will fly ORD-DUB.  (All with their respective legacy crew members, of course.)  

It's getting interesting.  These changes make perfect sense, IMHO.

What will the routing be CLT-DUB-ORD-DUB-CLT or will it start/end in PHL?

jcw said:
What will the routing be CLT-DUB-ORD-DUB-CLT or will it start/end in PHL?

This was announced on AA's in-house newsletter, Jetnet, today.  They did not give dates or routings.  These were the only two routes mentioned in the announcement.

bigjets said:
Is this an opinion? What's the source?

The part I ended with, IMHO, is "In My Humble Opinion."

The part about the routes is from today's AA Jetnet newsletter.

nycbusdriver said:
ORD-DUB will probably be CLT (IMHO) .

They need to have something to do this summer since most of their usual seasonal A330 flying (MAD, BCN, FCO) is not returning.
NYC, I heard the same thing, but if you look on NRTP, it shows all those routes returning this summer on the 330 out of CLT.

Great point - They could take over some 757 flying to Europe - AMS, LHR will be interesting to see where they are deployed

Don't we still have a ways to go with respect to merging flight ops and maintenance ops before the great airplane shuffle begins? Is AA predicting we will be FULLY merged anytime soon?
If this is the case, I can understand why  AA and the ASSociation scheduled three back to back weeks of negotiations.

MetalMover said:
Don't we still have a ways to go with respect to merging flight ops and maintenance ops before the great airplane shuffle begins? Is AA predicting we will be FULLY merged anytime soon?
If this is the case, I can understand why  AA and the ASSociation scheduled three back to back weeks of negotiations.

The announcement acknowledged that the bulk of the integration and shuffle of flights and equipment cannot take place until a single FOS (Flight Operating System) is in place for the airline.  But they see these opportunities now where they can save some money by enduring some crew inefficiencies to take advantage of efficiencies of having the right airplane for the demands of a particular route.   

The have been doing this domestically for a while now.  This is the first time there will be any realignment of widebody equipment out of its legacy routes.  Since they say it is only the start, once the single FOS is in place, there will probably be 767-300s based in PHL, A330s based in ORD, and many more surprises in  store for international crews.

It doesn't really matter how the arbitration board rules on seniority and what fences they put in place.  The company has to sign off on it, and if there are restrictions that would cost the company money, they will simply tell the arbs what parts are no-go (the arbs probably already been informed of what the company needs in the way of lack of restrictions and fences.)

nycbusdriver said:

The announcement acknowledged that the bulk of the integration and shuffle of flights and equipment cannot take place until a single FOS (Flight Operating System) is in place for the airline.  But they see these opportunities now where they can save some money by enduring some crew inefficiencies to take advantage of efficiencies of having the right airplane for the demands of a particular route.   

The have been doing this domestically for a while now.  This is the first time there will be any realignment of widebody equipment out of its legacy routes.  Since they say it is only the start, once the single FOS is in place, there will probably be 767-300s based in PHL, A330s based in ORD, and many more surprises in  store for international crews.

It doesn't really matter how the arbitration board rules on seniority and what fences they put in place.  The company has to sign off on it, and if there are restrictions that would cost the company money, they will simply tell the arbs what parts are no-go (the arbs probably already been informed of what the company needs in the way of lack of restrictions and fences.)
Good point. That is why I believe the company wants all contracts in place. Be alot easier to do once FOS is in place.