Will AA kill the maint. and F/A bases too? In St. Louis

I recall AA calling STL a "reliever hub" for which I never found to be viable solution, as I don't recall any such beast lasting long. How well did that work for UA in CLE or DL in CVG/MEM? Only time it has any chance of working would be if other hubs were at capacity, but with DL dehubbing DFW in 2005 and scores of gates became available, then STL as a hub would be redundant.

PHX might become that "reliever hub" as LAX would be slot restricted and smaller aircraft such as Express flights would connect passengers through the more available airport. PHL might play the same role with JFK for connecting passengers vs. high yielding O&D passengers.
Town hall stated they are going to grow PHL,.Looks like they moved flights from JFK ,but if you say so

Efficiency and quality of service vs. job loss.

That's a toughie.

Both sides in this situation (company and employee) have merit.

The company should move as many people as possible with the fewest resources needed (manpower, fuel, air frames). This keeps the cost for the general public low and the company profitable. It is a sound business decision to use bigger (more people) aircraft that require fewer trips per day (fuel and # of air frames) and less personnel and equipment to support.

At the same time people have to work.

Town hall stated they are going to grow PHL,.Looks like they moved flights from JFK ,but if you say so

Not sure that I ever said that PHL would shrink (although ramp has been overstaffed during the past year), but what you are seeing with future growth of PHL would make sense from JFK insofar connecting international passengers vs. O&D into JFK. Obviously, primary European markets LHR, CDG, and a few others would be beneficial as the O&D would be substantial. However, secondary European cities (and those connecting passengers from primary cities) would make more sense to fly into PHL as there isn't enough demand to justify non-stop JFK flights and not enough slots to handle the connecting passengers.

It was probably the strongest operational asset as what US brought to AA into the merger, as a robust northeast route system and, in part, the ability to handle connecting passengers through PHL whereas JFK has severe slot restrictions.

Chicago and DFW years ago. STL was dehubbed officially April 2010, but the primary cuts were in 2003 and from 2003-2010 limped along with American Connection Trans States and Chataqua operated regional service.

Josh
Actually, Josh a lot of the flying that AA eliminated at STL went to a little airline called Southwest. When AA got rid of the non-stops to SEA, BOS, SFO and the like guess who started non-stops to those destinations. If you guessed Southwest, you are a very smart boy.

Some in management at AA are still convinced that "our frequent flyers would never fly Southwest." I invited one of those managers to go over to the East Terminal at STL and try to count the number of suits with computer bags standing in line to board WN. Why should anyone force a connection with (more than likely) a change of a/c in DFW or ORD upon themselves when they can fly non-stop on WN?

It was probably the strongest operational asset as what US brought to AA into the merger, as a robust northeast route system and, in part, the ability to handle connecting passengers through PHL whereas JFK has severe slot restrictions.

Restrictions haven't slowed Delta down.
United pulled out of JFK in favor of their major EWR hub.
Seems no one one wants to compete with Delta.

Restrictions haven't slowed Delta down.
United pulled out of JFK in favor of their major EWR hub.
Seems no one one wants to compete with Delta.
I think they are only restricted during certain hours now unlike LGA where you are limited by the amount of slots you have. Or you can kiss Schumers ass and get all the slots you want(Jetblue)

The writing is on the wall, STL days are numbered along with TUL, STL will go first so they can get rid of the TWA crowd and their last 100% seniority which should have went to DWH but why kick that dog? As the MD-80's go away so will the jobs, quit denying what is happening or is going to happen. Contract signed, shut down STL hangar, mass layoffs at TUL, layoffs throughout the system with some form of pathetic buyout, if it's done the IAM way, get ready to move as juniority will be eliminated with new contract.

Actually, Josh a lot of the flying that AA eliminated at STL went to a little airline called Southwest. When AA got rid of the non-stops to SEA, BOS, SFO and the like guess who started non-stops to those destinations. If you guessed Southwest, you are a very smart boy.

Some in management at AA are still convinced that "our frequent flyers would never fly Southwest." I invited one of those managers to go over to the East Terminal at STL and try to count the number of suits with computer bags standing in line to board WN. Why should anyone force a connection with (more than likely) a change of a/c in DFW or ORD upon themselves when they can fly non-stop on WN?

Jim, my answer was regarding in the AA/American Eagle system.

The same story can be said for BOS if you replace Southwest with JetBlue. Only here it’s high value trans con passengers flying Mint premium service to LAX & SFO.

Josh

The writing is on the wall, STL days are numbered along with TUL, STL will go first so they can get rid of the TWA crowd and their last 100% seniority which should have went to DWH but why kick that dog? As the MD-80's go away so will the jobs, quit denying what is happening or is going to happen. Contract signed, shut down STL hangar, mass layoffs at TUL, layoffs throughout the system with some form of pathetic buyout, if it's done the IAM way, get ready to move as juniority will be eliminated with new contract.
That sounds scary almost like Northwest, how long till you think that happens?

TWA seniority. Not a hornets nest anyone wants to kick. Doubtful any STL peeps want to leave and lose seniority. The TWA guys at DWH are not a happy bunch but then neither are the AA guys on the floor as shop jobs go away. Bring on the TA, buyouts and straight seniority and rip the bandaid off.

I have talked with long serving employees who have gone through fleet changes. There is always talk of massive layoffs when that happens but history does not support it, at least to their recollection.

Instead of assuming there is going to be massive layoffs why don't you ask some of these old timers what happened in the past during fleet changes. You may be surprised. I was.

Reactions: B737 driver
Just FYI, this is an email sent out by Flight Service (flight attendant department) management regarding the pilot base closing.

"
Dear Team Members,

Today, we announced we’ll be closing our pilot base in St. Louis in third quarter 2018. I wanted to reach out and reassure you this decision has no impact on our flight attendant base. STL will remain a key part of our network and there are no plans to change the level of flying in/out of

Background

Unlike flight attendants, who are qualified on multiple aircraft, pilots can only be qualified on one fleet type at a time. STL flying for our pilots consists only of MD80 aircraft. And by the end of next year, we’ll be down to just 26 MD80s. This means there simply won’t be enough flying to continue operating a pilot base in STL.

What’s next?
Over the next year, our Flight Operations team will be working with our STL-based pilots to assist them with training and their transition to other bases. And, by September 2018, we anticipate all MD80 pilot bid positions to be based in DFW. We also expect to hire more than 900 new pilots in 2018.

We’ll continue to have our flight attendant base in STL and there should be no impact to our customer experience and line maintenance team members who are based there.
News like this can sometimes be unsettling, so I wanted to make sure you had the facts. Thanks for all you do every day to take care of our customers."

Please note the highlighted phrases--particularly, the one near the bottom of the email. Now, note the use of the verb phrase, "there should be no impact." Yes, and after 5,000 years of fighting among those Semitic first cousins, there should be peace in the Middle East, but there's just not.

Translated into the English, at some point you need to start cleaning out the garage of all that stuff you've been planning to discard when "you have time." Your St. Louis home will sell better if the garage is clean and neat. ;):rolleyes:

P.S. If you're transferring to MIA, there's no need to keep the family's snow boots. Goodwill can use them.

I am not sure what is going to happen with TULE. I will say they are spending a LOT of money there.