Will alpa @ nwa gladly cross another picket line?

Give the wo/man credit for moving latteraly or upwards to learn the realm of airline management. Completely different than what they teach in college. However, one must question the people who rather stay with an entity that lacks corporate vision. Although NW did/use to harvest from Embry Riddle, they still take in managers that lack experience or education.

One I recall was the former Dairy Queen manager turned flight attendant manager. hmmmmmmmmmm. Formerly supervised and made scheduels for 2 people, now fashion police for 1,500. Next time I get stopped and have my pant leg tugged to see if I got it altered, I better remind them skinny pants are "in".
True about the "managers" they hire. What's laughable is the scab maintenance mgrs they've promoted from scab mechanics. A recent DTW one, Mario Scalzo, has a real "people skills" problem as a mech. No wonder his wife divorced him a few years back. Must have known he was a scab inside back then.

True about the "managers" they hire. What's laughable is the scab maintenance mgrs they've promoted from scab mechanics. A recent DTW one, Mario Scalzo, has a real "people skills" problem as a mech....

I lump him in with Kyle Mack, Bryon Rogers and his girlfriend Leslie. Jumping ship to a management position just one month before the srtike. Shows nwa desperation...they looked at Rogers and said, "Wow, I want THAT guy on the management team". What a joke

Give the wo/man credit for moving latteraly or upwards to learn the realm of airline management. Completely different than what they teach in college. However, one must question the people who rather stay with an entity that lacks corporate vision. Although NW did/use to harvest from Embry Riddle, they still take in managers that lack experience or education.

One I recall was the former Dairy Queen manager turned flight attendant manager. hmmmmmmmmmm. Formerly supervised and made scheduels for 2 people, now fashion police for 1,500. Next time I get stopped and have my pant leg tugged to see if I got it altered, I better remind them skinny pants are "in".

Sadly, this latter example seems to have been the norm for some time now. For some reason, my previous station was often toured by "new" managers (ones recently hired to run "C" stations and the like); more often than not, they fit Jenny's above description to a T.

The real bummer is that at any given station, there are probably at least 3-5 agents or ESE's that truly would do a great job running a station, but because of the corporate culture at NW wouldn't touch the job with a 10 foot pole.

The real bummer is that at any given station, there are probably at least 3-5 agents or ESE's that truly would do a great job running a station, but because of the corporate culture at NW wouldn't touch the job with a 10 foot pole.

In my experience as a mechanic at out stations was that the Leads made most of the decisions. The managers usually fell in line behind their decisions. Occasionally we would be a good one. He let us run the show, get the planes out on time and he stayed in his office and did the "paperwork". It was nnot without its reward however, every Christmas we would get our coffee mug. Big Whoop!

Sadly, this latter example seems to have been the norm for some time now. For some reason, my previous station was often toured by "new" managers (ones recently hired to run "C" stations and the like); more often than not, they fit Jenny's above description to a T.

Absolutely true. Hire the new managers at C stations, pay
a pitiful salary and use the NW philosophy to treat its
employees unfairly.

In my experience as a mechanic at out stations was that the Leads made most of the decisions. The managers usually fell in line behind their decisions. Occasionally we would be a good one. He let us run the show, get the planes out on time and he stayed in his office and did the "paperwork".

As a lead on the ramp side, the decision making has usually fallen to me (or us, collectively). At my previous station (a gateway), I was responsible for making the daily schedule, as well as every "bid" for 50+ people. I also did PACE for the ESE workgroup, and of course all of the daily operational decisions that came with being a lead.

I have to say that my manager there was one of the "good ones." He gave the supervisors great latitude within very definite boundaries. He also was an "airline guy," having started at PSA on the ramp, then USAir. It made it very easy to explain why we did things the way we did, or why we needed to make changes when things arose. As long as you could present a very articulate case, he would usually see things our way. Of course, if you didn't, you were shot down instantly.

The bottom line, was that he was very good at figuring out what individual employee's strengths were, and letting them use those attributes to move things forward in a positive way; something I don't think you see very often in this new "crop" of managers fresh from school or the local Applebee's.

Oh yeah, we didn't get a coffee cup, but we did get Starbuck's cards (which I have to admit, were quite popular amongst the masses. :) )....

In my experience as a mechanic at out stations was that the Leads made most of the decisions. The managers usually fell in line behind their decisions. Occasionally we would be a good one. He let us run the show, get the planes out on time and he stayed in his office and did the "paperwork". It was nnot without its reward however, every Christmas we would get our coffee mug. Big Whoop!
Agree 100 percent. Cant recall HOW many boot LT's I told to go back to the golf course so we can get his bird fixed. I would say that in this case, the military aint much diferent than the airlines. One of the biggest mistakes NWA is making is eliminating leads! God what a F@#$ed up policy that is! Ya cant run a battalion with-out NCO's, AND YA CANT RUN AN AIRLINE WITHOUT LEADS!
(I know this isnt exactly a "bootlicker" attitude, but I've always been something of a rogue.)

In essence, people who are striking and those who participate in CHAOS are sacrificing themselves for the working class (like yourself). Standing up for others is something admirable, I think. ;)
Just out of curiosity, are you yourself ready to make that "sacrifice", or merely intend to lead others to do it for you? I dont mean that to sound as harsh as it does, but it reminds me vaguely of the mullahs who incourage young men to blow themselves up for 72 virgins, but never seem to make that effort to meet ALLAH themselves.

So who acts in the lead capacity now?

Kev, I believe they are called MAP's (Managers w/A&P's).

While performing picket duty, I have seen several managers that I knew leaving work and wearing mechanics' blue shirts. I don't know if they just do all of the procedural stuff that a lead technician used to do, or if they are also expected to wrench alongside the scabs.

Kev, I believe they are called MAP's (Managers w/A&P's).

While performing picket duty, I have seen several managers that I knew leaving work and wearing mechanics' blue shirts. I don't know if they just do all of the procedural stuff that a lead technician used to do, or if they are also expected to wrench alongside the scabs.
Some do, some dont. I've seen some managers go WAY above and beyond in a herculean effort to meet the mission, and I've seen some who are seriously "hangerphobic". Ill trow the %20 flag here.

Just out of curiosity, are you yourself ready to make that "sacrifice", or merely intend to lead others to do it for you? I dont mean that to sound as harsh as it does, but it reminds me vaguely of the mullahs who incourage young men to blow themselves up for 72 virgins, but never seem to make that effort to meet ALLAH themselves.
Huh? (I suppose someone likes doom and gloom here) subtracting this gibberish of people blowing themselves up and never seeing the outcome of your own doings unless you believe in spirits, I would be willing and able to take a stand and walk off the job in protest. I do not expect anyone else to follow nor will I encourage. That is totally up to them.

Huh? (I suppose someone likes doom and gloom here) subtracting this gibberish of people blowing themselves up and never seeing the outcome of your own doings unless you believe in spirits, I would be willing and able to take a stand and walk off the job in protest. I do not expect anyone else to follow nor will I encourage. That is totally up to them.
Fair enough, and my apologies for sounding so harsh..it really wasnt meant to be a shot at you personally.

I personally don't condone those fanatical acts, and in fact think we need to eradicate this planet of all those who wish to cause harm in the name of religion, however our convictions should be demonstrated with as much fervor.

Before anyone attempts to twist this, Im only saying we should all be so bold to take a stand and be willing to 'sacrifice' for a better future, if not for ourselves at least for our progeny.