Will Jetblue Fly 747-400s In The Future?

airlineman

Sep 30, 2003
They can squeeze about 500 people into one of those planes in an all coach configuration. Wouldn't that lower their CASM?

Yes, the current plan is for JetBlue to start 747 service to London-Gatwick and Brussels next spring, with bankruptcy planned for mid-2006. Oh, and somewhere along the way they will buy Frontier, before being sold off to Frank Lorenzo. ;)

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

AAG2000 said:
Yes, the current plan is for JetBlue to start 747 service to London-Gatwick and Brussels next spring, with bankruptcy planned for mid-2006. Oh, and somewhere along the way they will buy Frontier, before being sold off to Frank Lorenzo. ;)

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana
So basically you are trying to say that Jetblue is just like Peoplexpress and they will end up the same way????? Well let me tell you, I worked for Peoplexpress. It was my first airline job right out of high school and I started with them right when things started to get bad, about 4 years after the airline started. I can tell you first hand that Jetblue is nothing like Peoplexpress was at all. First of all, PE was unorganized, big time! The airline had no revenue mngmt computers, no res system and a horrible system of over booking flights. They provided horrible customer service. They also had a very crappy product, so when the other airlines cut their fares, pax flocked back to the majors. If you were to stand in the middle of the north terminal in the morning in 1984 and watch the crap that went on at PE, you would agree that B6 is nothing at all like PE was.
B6 on the other hand is also nearing 4 years old (close to how old PE was when it started to fall apart), yes their have been some growing pains, but B6 is doing excellent. They are organized; they offer excellent customer service and a superior product. B6, values its employees and its employees value their customers that goes a very long way.
When I started working for PE, my friends used to say, "Oh, you work for People'sDistres? that’s a shame." Now, when I tell people I work for Jetblue they talk about all the great experiences they have had flying on the airline. That says allot, but most of all it say B6 is nothing like PE and never will be.

PLANES333-

I thought my sarcasm would be obvious, and I even hedged my bets by adding a "winking smiley face," but evidently it wasn't enough to indicate that IT WAS A JOKE!!! What I meant to say was, IF JetBlue were to start flying 747s, it very likely would end up the same way as Peoplexpress. But I think it's safe to say that the odds of that happening are slim to none.

I am a big admirer of JetBlue, and well aware of the differences between it and Peoplexpress. But when somebody suggested (seriously or not, I'm not sure...) the addition of 747s, I couldn't resist the attempt at humor. I apologize if it fell flat. B)

If JetBlue waits for the Airbus A380s and orders 500,000 with the special Airbus discount Neeleman gets; JetBlue would be able to move the entire population of China in just one week!

PLANES333 -- I hope you realized it was a joke about PE and how jetBlue would never be like PE unless we wanted to go bankrupt. I'm sure David and Dave have studied PE very closely to avoid the pitfalls that destroyed it.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your candid viewpoint from inside both companies. Some people point to the obvious similarities while ignoring the multitude of differences and claim jB is destined for the same route to failure. Unfortunately, most people don't know much about what sent PE down the tubes. Your insight was very informative. Thank you. -- dgs

P.S. Ah... A380s... Dare to dream!!! The reality is that Dave Barger has stated very clearly that jB is not interested in the long-haul international market because the U.S. is the largest market with the most potential for success, and that we intend to focus our energies on the U.S. customer.

airlineman said:
If JetBlue waits for the Airbus A380s and orders 500,000 with the special Airbus discount Neeleman gets; JetBlue would be able to move the entire population of China in just one week!
And what special discount is this? I am sure David would like to know about it, because our accounts payable department pays out a ton of cash to airbus and to leasing companys everymonth for our planes?

AAG2000 said:
PLANES333-

I thought my sarcasm would be obvious, and I even hedged my bets by adding a "winking smiley face," but evidently it wasn't enough to indicate that IT WAS A JOKE!!! What I meant to say was, IF JetBlue were to start flying 747s, it very likely would end up the same way as Peoplexpress. But I think it's safe to say that the odds of that happening are slim to none.

I am a big admirer of JetBlue, and well aware of the differences between it and Peoplexpress. But when somebody suggested (seriously or not, I'm not sure...) the addition of 747s, I couldn't resist the attempt at humor. I apologize if it fell flat. B)
That's a good one!!!!!!! If we ever buy 747's or start service into Gary, Indiana I'll have my resume out the next day.

Latest posts