Wind Finding Techniques

Newby

Jan 15, 2004
I was looking for help in terms of finding the wind direction in the winter time. Especially if nowhere near a windsock.

let's see :

if there's smoke, what ever way that is blowing
if there's open water look for smooth water near shore then where the ripples start..
flags on the ground are a good indication too..

just to name some

a few others, especially in winter...

drift and apparent groundspeed as you recon the spot, helpful to have slower airspeed (60 mph plus) to really notice either one

that 45 degree crab (ball centered) on final might indicate an error in judgment as well!! :eek: :eek:

hope that helps...the first one more than the second...

Fly Straight and Level, with no wind correvction. Notice to which way you drift, then turn 90 degrees into the wind and and not drift again, you should now have the wind down to about 45 degrees.
If it is really cold, and windy, note in what direction the snow drifts over the ground.
If you are doing a rcon over a confined area, just note if you drift closer to, or further away from your landing spot!

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

I find that looking at the numbers displayed on the Flight Management System usually work. :p :p

ok ok, I know if I have nothing constuctive to say I should buzz off :shock: :lol:

Hey Winnie, how goes the battle over the pond? Did you get the "seat" you've been after?

Cheers

R

Just get the crunchies to pop a smoke in the pick up zone....oh....ah....oh sorry, I just had a flashback to Tac Hel. :p

Try to 'feel the machine' Downwind turns in a recci will usually feel like the 'bottom is ready to fall out!' In the downwind turn you will usually increase ground speed and need to pull in a little pitch! depends on amount of wind! If you have more time, establish a contant speed, 30kts and a constant bank of about 10-15 degrees. Keep circling over the recci spot, eventully the 'wind' will push your aircraft downwind, this works if the winds are very light! Good luck!

No Roscoe, They did not want me :( So if you know of any schools in canada looking for a class 2 helicopterinstructor...
Have CFI experience, and RDM can probably tell you that I buy Coffee for DFTE's. What's that? OK a large Double Double coming up! :up:

Otherwise, just skiing every day, in the lovely skitrails in my hometown, and missing flying like mnothing else!!

Cheers

Here is one that is more of a novelty....and if it is your only clue..you've probably missed soemthing

did you know that cattle/horses will stand ass to the wind it is strong enough.....very cliff claven... I know.

I'm a big fan of airspeed vs. ground speed and power required during the recce!

I agree with Jammed on this......"I'm a big fan of airspeed vs. ground speed and power required during the recce!" (Comparing the GPS to airspeed guage is great, if available).

Also, some machines get 'twitchy' in the tail, or the tail starts to kick-up slightly when downwind. If the machine isn't feeling 'smooth', be suspicious.

Here's another idea,......if you can't tell where the wind is coming from, it is probably not strong enough to be the determining factor on where you make your approach from. Consider the other factors....sun,wires etc.

...if the wind is definitely there but so unpredictable that you haven't picked it by the third recce, get the heck outta there until another day.
W.C. Fields once said.."if at first you don't succeed, try again. If that doesn't work...give up, 'cos there's no point in making a fool of yourself".

If you MUST know where the smallest amount of wind is coming from to make your landing, either......
1) You have overloaded the ship for the conditions, (learn from this, then see note 2). )
2) Refuse the landing, until a proper wind indicator is in place, i.e. a heli-skiing flag, or surveyors flagging in a tree. (If the customer really wants a max-gross lift, he will have to pay for a lighter recce/flagging flight first).

If you need to do a max/gross takeoff with no wind indicator, look at where your downwash is going (over grass, through branches etc.). Downwash is VERY easily moved by wind.

Latest posts

Back