WN mechanic charged in theft at MDW

Aug 20, 2002
What a way to start a new job! And what a stupid way to throw away your career.

Midway mechanic charged in sting

By Jon Hilkevitch
Tribune transportation reporter
Published July 7, 2006, 8:13 PM CDT

An airline mechanic at Midway Airport was arrested during his first day on the job in an undercover investigation targeting thefts of medical bags from planes, authorities said Friday.

Anthony J. Donato, 30, a Southwest Airlines aircraft mechanic, appeared in court Friday on a charge of burglary of a Northwest Airlines aircraft in the June 30 incident at Midway, officials said......

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/...1&cset=true

What a way to start a new job! And what a stupid way to throw away your career.

Midway mechanic charged in sting

By Jon Hilkevitch
Tribune transportation reporter
Published July 7, 2006, 8:13 PM CDT

An airline mechanic at Midway Airport was arrested during his first day on the job in an undercover investigation targeting thefts of medical bags from planes, authorities said Friday.

Anthony J. Donato, 30, a Southwest Airlines aircraft mechanic, appeared in court Friday on a charge of burglary of a Northwest Airlines aircraft in the June 30 incident at Midway, officials said......

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/...1&cset=true

The REAL big question is WHO let the PROBIE out of his sight!

If anyone is interested, here is an update to the alleged theft incident at MDW...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-met29.html

Burglary charge dropped

A felony burglary charge was dropped Friday against a former Midway mechanic after a witness in the case failed to show up in court, the Cook County state's attorney's office said. Anthony J. Donato, 30, of Crestwood, was arrested June 30 after he allegedly tried to steal medical supplies from a Northwest Airlines plane, prosecutors said. At the time, Donato -- who worked for Southwest Airlines -- was being watched by airline security, authorities said. The case was dropped after a Northwest Airlines employee failed to show up in court, said Marcy Jensen, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney's office.

It's amazing that this guy got off scot free! Another example of the ineptness that is present at NW - they take the time to set up the sting operation, yet do not have their eyewitness show up at the court hearing... :oops:

Doesnt matter Im sure this mechanic if a new hire will or has lost his job.

Stupid is as stupid does

If anyone is interested, here is an update to the alleged theft incident at MDW...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-met29.html

Burglary charge dropped

A felony burglary charge was dropped Friday against a former Midway mechanic after a witness in the case failed to show up in court, the Cook County state's attorney's office said. Anthony J. Donato, 30, of Crestwood, was arrested June 30 after he allegedly tried to steal medical supplies from a Northwest Airlines plane, prosecutors said. At the time, Donato -- who worked for Southwest Airlines -- was being watched by airline security, authorities said. The case was dropped after a Northwest Airlines employee failed to show up in court, said Marcy Jensen, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney's office.

It's amazing that this guy got off scot free! Another example of the ineptness that is present at NW - they take the time to set up the sting operation, yet do not have their eyewitness show up at the court hearing... :oops:

He really did'nt get away "scot free". He lost a job that a lot of people would kill for in this industry. And even though the charges were dropped he will have a hard time getting another job in this industry.

He really did'nt get away "scot free". He lost a job that a lot of people would kill for in this industry. And even though the charges were dropped he will have a hard time getting another job in this industry.

Granted, he did do something to give up a job that most mechanics would strive for, but the reality is that he probably will not have difficulty in landing another aviation maintenance position if he so chooses, especially if he has an A&P license. As a licensed A&P technician myself, I believe that he was rightly terminated for what he did - there is no place in this industry for what he did.

However, since future employers are not allowed by law to ask reasons as to why you left your previous company, he might not have as hard of a time finding employment with any number of repair stations or contract maintenance outfits as you may think... :(

Granted, he did do something to give up a job that most mechanics would strive for, but the reality is that he probably will not have difficulty in landing another aviation maintenance position if he so chooses, especially if he has an A&P license. As a licensed A&P technician myself, I believe that he was rightly terminated for what he did - there is no place in this industry for what he did.

However, since future employers are not allowed by law to ask reasons as to why you left your previous company, he might not have as hard of a time finding employment with any number of repair stations or contract maintenance outfits as you may think... :(

Will he get a job working for an air carrier with comprable pay to SWA? Highly doubtfull. Since there are a lot of unemployed AMT's he might have a harder time than you think. Especially in the Chicago land area. Will it be impossible, no. However this does no change the fact that he messed up big time and will be paying for it for the rest of his life.

As for future employers not being able to ask questions there are ways around that. I typed his name into Google and easily found the story about him.

I'm confused. Why is everyone here rendering their guilty verdicts on a case that was dropped? The link is dead now, so all I have to read is the summary in the first post.

Will he get a job working for an air carrier with comprable pay to SWA? Highly doubtfull. Since there are a lot of unemployed AMT's he might have a harder time than you think. Especially in the Chicago land area. Will it be impossible, no. However this does no change the fact that he messed up big time and will be paying for it for the rest of his life.

As for future employers not being able to ask questions there are ways around that. I typed his name into Google and easily found the story about him.
Figure it out! Charged, fired, charges dropped, no conviction. Biggest thing is he lost his job. On next resume he simply chalks it up to "RIF" reduction in force (of one, himself) and that is the end of it. He gets hired. Southwest, or any other airline; is not going to say anything against him because of possible lawsuits, defamation etc... Could possibly get his job back, my word against theirs scenario. It is a crazy world.

Back