WN Mechanics seek mediation

The ratio of mechanics per aircraft has never been a talking point with fellow mechanics at AA or WN but I can assure you pay, benefits, and job protection is. If it’s going to be discussed it should be accurate. Indeed WN has a 3.3 ratio but without knowing how many IAM mechanics there are I cannot do the math. Fill me in:947 AA aircraft/7275 LAA mechanics/???? LUS mechanics. So far it’s 7.68 without LUS.

Here’s a link to the list of integrated Seniority lists for all Represented Class and Crafts at AA, Birdman. As you can see Title 1 Aircraft Mechanics including Crew Cheifs number over 10,000. So the 16 Maintenance per Aircraft would include other represented Mechanics as well.

https://www.usaamerger.com/seniority-lists/

The ratio of mechanics per aircraft has never been a talking point with fellow mechanics at AA or WN but I can assure you pay, benefits, and job protection is. If it’s going to be discussed it should be accurate. Indeed WN has a 3.3 ratio but without knowing how many IAM mechanics there are I cannot do the math. Fill me in:947 AA aircraft/7275 LAA mechanics/???? LUS mechanics. So far it’s 7.68 without LUS.
Yea, the 16 per sounded way out of line with me too. He must be including all members which are not actual A/C to mechanic ratio, but more like a/c to union member ratio. Which is exactly why I have always said all mechanics should have a classification union representing them.

Back to the topic though, It is very quiet after the RS's in Dallas. The peeps seem to be content after getting all the info.

Yea, the 16 per sounded way out of line with me too. He must be including all members which are not actual A/C to mechanic ratio, but more like a/c to union member ratio. Which is exactly why I have always said all mechanics should have a classification union representing them.

I’m not including anything. You can look at the data from MIT yourself. You have heard of MIT I hope?

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/default.html

Well we don't ever have to worry about those numbers, even if we get the 5th C check line.
You also don't have to worry about being qualified on 777-2, 777-3, 787, 767-3, 757, A321-319, A330, MD80, on top of the 737-8 and 737 Max. Can't compare all AA's fleet types to SWA with only a 737-8/Max in AMTs per aircraft. It takes about double the man power/equipment to maintain a wide body compared to a 737. Not to mention the huge TULE maintenance base we still have, at least until US Air management outsources it.

This is why when you listen to a uninformed ramper who knows nothing about aircraft maintenance, you receive erroneous stats. Did you enjoy your double time on the holiday? AA didn't, (well US Air did). 15 years we have been waiting, compared to your 5 years with an intact contract that hasn't been gutted. Stop your sniveling.

Last edited:
SWA mechanic representation time line

March 1973 - IAM

Sept 1980- incumbent IAM defeats Southwest Airlines Mechanic Association

Dec 1982- Teamsters defeat IAM

Jan 2003- AMFA defeats IAM (receiving votes from 805 of 1751 eligible voters)

You also don't have to worry about being qualified on 777-2, 777-3, 787, 767-3, 757, A321-319, A330, MD80, on top of the 737-8 and 737 Max. Can't compare all AA's fleet types to SWA with only a 737-8/Max in AMTs per aircraft. It takes about double the man power/equipment to maintain a wide body compared to a 737. Not to mention the huge TULE maintenance base we still have, at least until US Air management outsources it.

This is why when you listen to a uninformed ramper who knows nothing about aircraft maintenance, you receive erroneous stats. Did you enjoy your double time on the holiday? AA didn't, (well US Air did). 15 years we have been waiting, compared to your 5 years with an intact contract that hasn't been gutted. Stop your sniveling.
Quit putting out phoney stats. It's triple time on a holiday!

Quit putting out phoney stats. It's triple time on a holiday!

Actually Hackman IS correct. It's 1.5 if you traded the holiday and you work it. It's 2.0 if you did not trade it and you worked it. The only way we ever get 3.0 is if you are called and except O/T on a holiday but not your regular scheduled shift.
He is also very correct that they must be qualified for way more aircraft than we do, they have a dozen or more to keep up with, not just 2-4 models like us.
5 years and still going. It may be another 5 years, who knows???

Actually Hackman IS correct. It's 1.5 if you traded the holiday and you work it. It's 2.0 if you did not trade it and you worked it. The only way we ever get 3.0 is if you are called and except O/T on a holiday but not your regular scheduled shift.
He is also very correct that they must be qualified for way more aircraft than we do, they have a dozen or more to keep up with, not just 2-4 models like us.
5 years and still going. It may be another 5 years, who knows???
Work some doubles, pick off a few triples and presto we got a raise. 5 more years? I think the NMB will call an impasse before that. Either way, i'm not the one to vote on gutting our scope language. AA has almost 5 times the mechanics. With that manning they can have a fleet of space shuttles.

I have worked F14, DC9, MD80, 737 and C130, very different aircraft, yes it takes more to work a wide body instead of crying about your sucky union, get AMFA in there and see if they can get a contract with Parker and company. In fact use our negotiating team.

Latest posts