WN Mechanics seek mediation

Forgot to add this part. From what I have been told the company's ask is for scope changes, the company would have to offer full retro and a better snap up offer. But how could the company expect the NC to bring it to the membership when scope changes were not included or even listed with the company's updates? They will never get an open blank check for scope.

The company is trying to remove the liason and are hiding the scope changes for a reason.

I agree. We don't blindly give away scope language and not know what management has planned to do with it. All we can do is figure the worst case scenario if we give that language up and vote accordingly. We need the outsourcing liaison in place to keep them in check as well.

I agree. We don't blindly give away scope language and not know what management has planned to do with it. All we can do is figure the worst case scenario if we give that language up and vote accordingly. We need the outsourcing liaison in place to keep them in check as well.
Agreed. They want the liaison gone so they can send everything out, why else would they want the position to "monitor" outsourcing removed?

No dates set for future talks???? How's those Federal lawsuit litigation workin out?????
Same way , we will have another year of no raise until we vote on something. The only way the pilots got full retro is they voted their first offer down. We get nothing as long as we continue to say no, plain and simple.

The only way the pilots got full retro is they voted their first offer down.
I've held the same position ever since the pilots and flight attendants paved the way, a T/A rejection and boom, they settled fairly quickly. Comments at work this weekend had a lot to do with scope. Supposedly the company will not extend select station protection past the amendable date, a ridiculous notion on their part if true. Many do not want to concede ground on "heavy maintenance" in the form of 6Y, 8Y, etc...as it will supposedly never return and we will simply do 3Y's after the amendable date with far fewer people. I'll have to say I'm less optimistic now then before the company's latest proposal, including being far from "hitting the mark" in regard to signing bonus.

I've held the same position ever since the pilots and flight attendants paved the way, a T/A rejection and boom, they settled fairly quickly. Comments at work this weekend had a lot to do with scope. Supposedly the company will not extend select station protection past the amendable date, a ridiculous notion on their part if true. Many do not want to concede ground on "heavy maintenance" in the form of 6Y, 8Y, etc...as it will supposedly never return and we will simply do 3Y's after the amendable date with far fewer people. I'll have to say I'm less optimistic now then before the company's latest proposal, including being far from "hitting the mark" in regard to signing bonus.
Is it really the concern of the number mechanics employed, or is we won't get as much overtime, because we always run lean. If they get to 1000 airplanes at 2.75 that is 2750..if they are so concern about people having jobs, then bump it to 3.1 to protect everyone, with the station protections, in exchange for some of the language the company wants, and bump the signing bonus some more, and gets the bump up pay to 16.5, and 3 % a year after that.

Just sending this out there for thoughts. Let's wait thru this week after the company does their info meetings again. I am hearing of mechanics asking very pacific questions on scope, full retro, bonus, snap up, headcounts, station protections, position protections etc... Some mechanics are even more upset than before as we all should be. After companies meetings last time they did make changes and movement, I would say let's see what happens after the meetings, however, with that said, if it would take a NO vote for the company to move then the union would have to do their road show and fully explain the scope changes and how it will affect everyone everywhere, the headcounts, the positions, the outstations as well as the heavy maint stations and all the heavy maint. lines. It seems to me too that the heavy maint will be gone and replaced with 3Y's, cabin visits, and overnight maint. not to mention the OTS Aircraft. I need more info, but I may be willing to send an astonishing "NO" vote like we did back in 1992.

The Donnelly video exemplifies what our negotiators are up against. His use of proposals made by our negotiators in 2015 is understandable but he must also realize that ship has sailed. The unprecedented financial status of WN has grown so much it has made any past proposal by either team obsolete. If the company would match what the pilots were offered in relation to wage increases I believe we would have a deal economically. I also believe if station protection was not time stamped there would also be a deal.

Last edited:
The Donnelly video exemplifies what our negotiators are up against. His use of proposals made by our negotiators in 2015 is understandable but he must also realize that ship has sailed. The unprecedented financial status of WN has grown so much it has made any past proposal by either team obsolete. If the company would match what the pilots were offered in relation to wage increases I believe we would have a deal economically. I also believe if station protection was not time stamped there would also be a deal.
Almost sounds like check mate from our negotiating committee, could it be they are starting to feel the heat to produce something, good or bad. The outstations outside of Dallas, are tired of the same old song.

I agree 100%. 2015? Hello It's 2018 isn't it? AMFA's offer in 2015? Time has not only changed, it's 3 years later with massive improvements. He is trying to use the past offers to his advantage, with years passing by. Don't fall for it. Get to the company meetings and ask very, very detailed questions, they are only hoping we will all just look at and see the $$$$ signs. They are praying for it, trust me. Where is all the scope language in writing???

I agree 100%. 2015? Hello It's 2018 isn't it? AMFA's offer in 2015? Time has not only changed, it's 3 years later with massive improvements. He is trying to use the past offers to his advantage, with years passing by. Don't fall for it. Get to the company meetings and ask very, very detailed questions, they are only hoping we will all just look at and see the $$$$ signs. They are praying for it, trust me. Where is all the scope language in writing???
You can't have scope language, without nailing it down, if we are worried about 6 years out, whenever we get a contract, then if you can't get it in the body of the contract for the protections, then do a new LOA that everyone that is an employee now when the contract is signed has protections in their stations, and have the same language as the old LOA to be negotiated in the next contract. If Scope is so important as AMFA claims, quit trying to sell it for economics. Get some more in the signing bonus and some more in the snap up, and eventually produce a T/A.

Here's another food for thought there are two groups that continue to make money in this back and forth almost six years, why we don't come to a t/a. SWA and our Law firm, why we now lose $1000 a month!The company has cost neutral maintenance program, and Seeham continues to bill us for his services. We are the suckers, we get 0!

Well, another month and a half will go by before any new negotiations are done. New dates for March 6-8 have been agreed to. 3 lousy days after over a month and a half of nothing. Yea this company sure is wanting to get this done, NOT...