WN Mechanics seek mediation

Being in Dallas I hear that the company has to move on scope before any agreement, or rather thing, is sent out for a rat. vote. Now the NC could very well end up sending something out to the members but not agree to the terms of scope or other articles and claim as such, in other words not a T/A. The Pilots did this I believe and recommended a no vote. With the company holding so hard on scope and not even willing to pay COL raise for it tells me we will not get to a T/A at the next negotiations, still too far apart in my opinion. I am tired of AMFA moving and it's time for the company to do the 100% moving.
The only reason for my last post Swampy, was to prove the lawsuits, are not stopping a T/A only economics and scope.

I could not have written this better myself. AMFA is only concerned with the money driven in to the association and legal firm. It's amazing how they can manipulate some guys with their divisive tactics.

AMFA is once again spending our money on workplace drama instead of negotiating a contract. To begin to understand our current saga we need to revisit February 16, 2017. Negotiations with SWA weren’t continuing expediently enough for a minority (Angry 10%) of SWA AMTs and they devised a self help work/job action now know as “Family Week”. I do not personally believe this angry minority had the capability to contrive this event. As a researcher of AMFA labor history, I have found remarkably similar AMFA proceedings at Alaska and Northwest Airlines.

Nonetheless, as an AMT at Southwest airlines, I can attest to the fact there was indeed an event at Southwest Airlines known as “Family Week”! Although not formally sanctioned by AMFA, It was rumored and talked about in the Hangar bays weeks before it actually happened. On the day of the event, rogue AMTs coerced/bullied coworkers into declining overtime. It was rumored there was a mechanic in Dallas either self-appointed or by design acting as a workplace sergeant of arms enforcing mechanic compliance of family week by generating a list of those AMTs that defied “family week”. It was also alleged that the perpetrator was caught and discharged by SWA Management.

Shortly thereafter, word spread throughout the system a perpetrator had been “Unjustifiably terminated from Southwest while performing Lawful union activities”. However, AMFA also said he was known for “Promoting Safe Maintenance Practices”. The phrase “Promoting safe practices” can be doublespeak by AMTs to mean, “slowing down or grounding aircraft”. I can’t exactly say what the alleged victim was terminated for because AMFA’s correspondence on the matter has been incredibly vague and lacking details! However there was a subsequent Air 21 Whistleblower report filed. In my personal opinion, the AIR 21 Whistleblower program was a great idea at its inception. However, that program has been corrupted, abused, and has morphed into a “Get out of Jail free”card.
Nonetheless, in America you are innocent until proven guilty and I donated $5.00 myself to the cause. Although it was a small donation, I believe it was more than a few AMFA officers and members of the Law firm of Seham, Seham, Meltz and Peterson (One of the Co-Founders of AMFA)! I particularly thought SSM&P would have stepped up and contributed liberally considering the financial return on legal work associated with this dispute. I can just imagine the thousands of dollars AMFA spent to ensure this alleged victim was reinstated at SWA. I am sure thousands of our profit sharing dollars were equally wasted.

AMFA throughout the years has closed its communications to members with a variation of the Andrew Carnegie quote “As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do”. Ironic as it may seem, Andrew Carnegie was a industrialist and owner of the Homestead Steel Works home to the third bloodiest labor dispute (1892) in U.S. history!? Nonetheless, his wisdom is a litmus test I personally use to disseminate fact from fiction in our current SWA Saga. Think about it folks!

I could not have written this better myself. AMFA is only concerned with the money driven in to the association and legal firm. It's amazing how they can manipulate some guys with their divisive tactics.

AMFA is once again spending our money on workplace drama instead of negotiating a contract. To begin to understand our current saga we need to revisit February 16, 2017. Negotiations with SWA weren’t continuing expediently enough for a minority (Angry 10%) of SWA AMTs and they devised a self help work/job action now know as “Family Week”. I do not personally believe this angry minority had the capability to contrive this event. As a researcher of AMFA labor history, I have found remarkably similar AMFA proceedings at Alaska and Northwest Airlines.

Nonetheless, as an AMT at Southwest airlines, I can attest to the fact there was indeed an event at Southwest Airlines known as “Family Week”! Although not formally sanctioned by AMFA, It was rumored and talked about in the Hangar bays weeks before it actually happened. On the day of the event, rogue AMTs coerced/bullied coworkers into declining overtime. It was rumored there was a mechanic in Dallas either self-appointed or by design acting as a workplace sergeant of arms enforcing mechanic compliance of family week by generating a list of those AMTs that defied “family week”. It was also alleged that the perpetrator was caught and discharged by SWA Management.

Shortly thereafter, word spread throughout the system a perpetrator had been “Unjustifiably terminated from Southwest while performing Lawful union activities”. However, AMFA also said he was known for “Promoting Safe Maintenance Practices”. The phrase “Promoting safe practices” can be doublespeak by AMTs to mean, “slowing down or grounding aircraft”. I can’t exactly say what the alleged victim was terminated for because AMFA’s correspondence on the matter has been incredibly vague and lacking details! However there was a subsequent Air 21 Whistleblower report filed. In my personal opinion, the AIR 21 Whistleblower program was a great idea at its inception. However, that program has been corrupted, abused, and has morphed into a “Get out of Jail free”card.
Nonetheless, in America you are innocent until proven guilty and I donated $5.00 myself to the cause. Although it was a small donation, I believe it was more than a few AMFA officers and members of the Law firm of Seham, Seham, Meltz and Peterson (One of the Co-Founders of AMFA)! I particularly thought SSM&P would have stepped up and contributed liberally considering the financial return on legal work associated with this dispute. I can just imagine the thousands of dollars AMFA spent to ensure this alleged victim was reinstated at SWA. I am sure thousands of our profit sharing dollars were equally wasted.

AMFA throughout the years has closed its communications to members with a variation of the Andrew Carnegie quote “As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do”. Ironic as it may seem, Andrew Carnegie was a industrialist and owner of the Homestead Steel Works home to the third bloodiest labor dispute (1892) in U.S. history!? Nonetheless, his wisdom is a litmus test I personally use to disseminate fact from fiction in our current SWA Saga. Think about it folks!
We will never reach an agreement with the current people in charge, the minority angry people are steering the ship, until the majority get upset and realize how much we continue to lose everyday, only then things will change.When does the membership reach that point, who knows? The American guys may complain about their association, but at least they get real time in negotiations. This whole thing has become like the movie " Groundhog Day"! It's just the same **** for the last almost 6 years.

You and your facebook buddy might want to see if Delta is hiring.
You wouldn't have to put up with any pesky union that is trying to get you industry leading pay while also preserving your long term job security, over there.

Last edited:
You wouldn't have to put up with any pesky union that is trying to get you industry leading pay while also preserving your long term job security, over there.
Not my Facebook buddy, just tired of the same excuses, Face it, if they thought it would be voted down , they would have brought it out for a vote. All of the AMFA updates have been about C checks and Dallas heavy maintenance. There is more maintenance than Dallas. The same people that circle the wagons are the same people that post the same crap , like I said nothing ever changes.

Don't get me wrong AMFA is not the problem, going down this same road gets old. Not having a T/A gets old. I am not going anywhere, I have too much time vested here.It's the people running it our the problem. Tell me crowsfoot in reality how long do you want to wait before you have a say 7, 8 years? Do you want a strike vote, do you want a lockout? Or when we get all the apples we can get, when we take it , roll the dice and move on. You tell me?

This idiot crowsfoot is exactly what we are talking about. If you don't agree with him then you can just pack your tools and leave. AMFA is only successful when you keep idiots like him out of the mix. What a moron.

Hey Driver. Crow was addressing 737MX, not you. You may wanna retract all your post towards him. Go back up to post #2195 and re-read who it was addressed to.
BTW, settle down. We have waited 5.4 years thus far, what's another 6-7 months gonna hurt??? AMFA is done moving, it's time for the company to move, NOT rearrange the same or less money offered (were not stupid SWA) and they offered no movement on scope. Dallas is the largest station that will be affected by any changes in scope, now do you understand the focus on Dallas???

Hey Driver. Crow was addressing 737MX, not you. You may wanna retract all your post towards him. Go back up to post #2195 and re-read who it was addressed to.
BTW, settle down. We have waited 5.4 years thus far, what's another 6-7 months gonna hurt??? AMFA is done moving, it's time for the company to move, NOT rearrange the same or less money offered (were not stupid SWA) and they offered no movement on scope. Dallas is the largest station that will be affected by any changes in scope, now do you understand the focus on Dallas???
Yes I understand the Focus on Dallas, it's like American Airlines and Tulsa. I just see the same pattern. If we get past September you can forget 2018. If we can't seem to get the committee to sign off on the economics for scope. Maybe they should just concentrate on scope like almost had it last year, finish scope. Then economics.

This idiot crowsfoot is exactly what we are talking about. If you don't agree with him then you can just pack your tools and leave. AMFA is only successful when you keep idiots like him out of the mix. What a moron.

If you would start backing your union instead of badmouthing it, you might find you are a happier person.

If you would start backing your union instead of badmouthing it, you might find you are a happier person.
He probably just expects results. I think most people have been working more overtime to have a raise. When the maintenance program changes with the classics gone, if the overtime gets less, then people start thinking of a raise more. Our tactics as a Union only get us sued or fired. So we sit, regardless if this guy backs his union or not. Our results with SWA are the same, your blind crowsfoot if you don't see that. What's the answer? The people in charge don't seem to know.

He probably just expects results. I think most people have been working more overtime to have a raise. When the maintenance program changes with the classics gone, if the overtime gets less, then people start thinking of a raise more. Our tactics as a Union only get us sued or fired. So we sit, regardless if this guy backs his union or not. Our results with SWA are the same, your blind crowsfoot if you don't see that. What's the answer? The people in charge don't seem to know.

" We (the Company) must have the changes to scope we have proposed, there is no deal without it. In addition, the Company does not feel any additional economics are warranted in return for language changes to scope that would remove large portions of your protected work forever. The Company position is frustrating to say the least, and we know you will feel the same way..."

The above quote, being taken directly from update #61, pretty much sums up why we are where we are in negotiations.

Last edited:
" We (the Company) must have the changes to scope we have proposed, there is no deal without it. In addition, the Company does not feel any additional economics are warranted in return for language changes to scope that would remove large portions of your protected work forever. The Company position is frustrating to say the least, and we know you will feel the same way."

The above quote, being taken directly from update #61, pretty much sums up why we are where we are in negotiations.
That sums up what the negotiating committee needs to admit to the membership. When we get the best and final offer, it will have to go out for a vote, or we will just be put on ice. If it passes it becomes our contract, if not back to negotiating, then we reach a deal in 2019. Southwest will only pay x number of dollars. Our profit sharing is smaller, cost are up. The stock market is down, people don't spend as much money, when stuff goes nuts. We have had 5 years of growth. And our concern over language, and yes language is important, very important. Sometimes you miss the boat in terms of economics. But when I say they really don't have the answers, crowsfoot they don't.

Waiting on Federal lawsuit litigation. If the lawsuits have 0 influence on coming to a t/a why in the the hell were they filed from both sides? It's in legals hands and the mediator. Interesting negotiating tactics. Wait em out. That will work! Good luck.

If my union had my best interest in mind instead of their own agenda and strategy to make as much money as they can for the AMFA law firm I would back them.

Look at AMFA’s history you blind little sheep. Look at everything about them. They do not work to partner with Companies and make it better for the Employees. They march in with a full on attack to file lawsuits, Air 21 suits, grievances and arbitrations to make as much money as they can for the legal firm.

If the NWA/AMFA history repeats itself at SWA then sheep like you are the ones to blame. I have not seen an assault on AMFA by SWA. However, AMFA continuously assaults SWA through the media and billboard ads. They just want to build that wall and keep everyone divided.

So you are right I do not back them because I don’t trust them. I trust SWA way more than AMFA and their New York City law firm!!!!

Latest posts