WN Mechanics seek mediation

And isn't that 2 X's base? Or is it 2.5 X's base? I forget. teamsters, with no vote took us to 3 X's base.
Swampy it was 2.5 base and with no vote they increased to like 2.8, it was ridiculous! If I go to say the jump up as a lead say all in 54.00 from 46.77 that I am now, my AMFA dues would still only be like 92; far cheaper than what Teamsters would charge us.

U guys r off on dues issues. Wrong. Went from 2 to 2.5 hourly wages minus license premium. Get the facts. Thought it was interesting what was posted on counter offers that amfa proposed to drop Federal litigation suits. Did not see in company counter. They have no bearing on T/A ? Right. Go Figure.

I luv it that company wanted to negotiate and amfa was unprepared and their economist is busy guy. Wow. When it's time to get it on you stay til finish. I am sure the Federal mediator was impressed. Go Figure

Reactions: B737 driver
U guys r off on dues issues. Wrong. Went from 2 to 2.5 hourly wages minus license premium. Get the facts. Thought it was interesting what was posted on counter offers that amfa proposed to drop Federal litigation suits. Did not see in company counter. They have no bearing on T/A ? Right. Go Figure.
That was a long time ago, but it's alot of money for dues, it was 2.5 , the international passed it, without a vote. Lawsuits are always dropped for a T/A, we are down to economics now, so when that comes around, I don't see any reason, why it would not pass.

I luv it that company wanted to negotiate and amfa was unprepared and their economist is busy guy. Wow. When it's time to get it on you stay til finish. I am sure the Federal mediator was impressed. Go Figure
Don't get me wrong I am frustrated with the committee, the company finally moved, and we couldn't stay, let the stupid economist go, then email him or video conferencing with him, what the numbers are, and ask him what he thinks? This is 2018, not 1968. Then get back with the company and say let's tweek this. It gets kind of old, saying why you can't close a deal.

Letting the other side rush us into a deal is how bad decisions are made. There is plenty of time to negotiate a deal in properly scheduled sessions.
We have been at this for 5 1/2 years, why do they now want to jam us with tight time constraints?
Who do you think that really benefits?
We will see at the next session if the other side wants a deal, or if they want to again waste the first two and a half days.
The committee said they would have stayed to close it out if the company hadn't tried to open previously agreed on language at the last minute. If they are going to keep that up, more sessions will be needed for counters.
Our guys should remain relaxed, it seems the other side are the ones feeling pressure now to close this quickly. Why else would one of them embarrass himself at the table?

Last edited:
Letting the other side rush us into a deal is how bad decisions are made. There is plenty of time to negotiate a deal in properly scheduled sessions.
We have been at this for 5 1/2 years, why do they now want to jam us with tight time constraints?
We will see at the next session if the other side wants a deal, or if they want to again waste the first two and a half days.
The committee said they would have stayed to close it out if the company hadn't tried to open previously agreed on language at the last minute. If they are going to keep that up, more sessions will be needed for counters.
Our guys should remain relaxed, it seems the other side are the ones feeling pressure now to close this quickly. Why else would one of them embarrass himself at the table?
Let's see we were last year almost T/A scope, went for some crazy economics, got put on ice by the mediator for 6 months. Made some progress in January of 2018, had meetings scheduled for AMFA had to leave. Fast fwd to March 2018, making real progress, our economist had to leave, can't talk anymore without our economist. Might have something scheduled in April, not sure. I am all for getting things right, but seems to be a pattern on our part. And yes I know the company had their 5 years of stall tactics, so they had serious issues.

We get it you're a Teamster apologist and lover and hate AMFA..GO FIGURE?

I agree. No rush at this point. Yea get er done, BUT get er done right. I say NO at current offer. Full retro has not been met. Why the breakup of the retro pay in 18 and again in 19? Snap up does not equal what we were suppose to get at an average of 3% per year. And what is the deal with the co. wanting to change the amendable date from 8-16 for over 40 years to 4-1?? Other issues with it too but those are the toppers.
And BTW driver, this will not pass in Dallas as it is currently. If LOA 1 and 2 sunset and go away, then head protections for a lot of positions in Dallas go away, LOA 2 needs to get in as part of article 2 and then maybe adjust LOA 1 parts. These LOA's going away will affect way more people than some from other stations even think about.
With all this said, I would also like to get more detailed info from my NC during the next GMM next week as well. I don't want to comment about the way the company brought out their update claiming that retro is full retro as the union has indicated that was a false statement in my opinion it's still not full retro, another propaganda tactic by the co. to try and trick the membership in thinking they are getting full retro.

I agree. No rush at this point. Yea get er done, BUT get er done right. I say NO at current offer. Full retro has not been met. Why the breakup of the retro pay in 18 and again in 19? Snap up does not equal what we were suppose to get at an average of 3% per year. And what is the deal with the co. wanting to change the amendable date from 8-16 for over 40 years to 4-1?? Other issues with it too but those are the toppers.
And BTW driver, this will not pass in Dallas as it is currently. If LOA 1 and 2 sunset and go away, then head protections for a lot of positions in Dallas go away, LOA 2 needs to get in as part of article 2 and then maybe adjust LOA 1 parts. These LOA's going away will affect way more people than some from other stations even think about.
With all this said, I would also like to get more detailed info from my NC during the next GMM next week as well. I don't want to comment about the way the company brought out their update claiming that retro is full retro as the union has indicated that was a false statement in my opinion it's still not full retro, another propaganda tactic by the co. to try and trick the membership in thinking they are getting full retro.
Then ask yourself this question Swampy, with your precious negotiating committee and AMFA 11 ALR , right there, as well as local 4 dirtbag, what's with agreeing to allow the LOAs to sunset, if AMFA claims they held for scope, what is the point, get back to me on that?!

Last edited:
We get it you're a Teamster apologist and lover and hate AMFA..GO FIGURE?
Here's a thought line guy it's profit sharing day at SWA , all the other groups with their raises are getting their profit sharing based on what they made, so more money for them. Once again we are making ours based on 2012 wages, go figure! :)

Here's a thought line guy it's profit sharing day at SWA , all the other groups with their raises are getting their profit sharing based on what they made, so more money for them. Once again we are making ours based on 2012 wages, go figure! :)

I hear ya. Another reason to hold out for not a cent less than full retro. I am not a cheerleader for AMFA by any means. You think you have it bad by not getting full profit sharing? Try hitting the street on strike and not getting your job back after almost 20 years and starting over at the bottom at a new company at 42 years old like I did. The problem is not AMFA it is the Railway Labor Act and the National Mediation Board and it's classification of A@P mechanics. The companies use the rules of the RLA to drag out contracts til everyone is beat down and will jump at a meager signing bonus. It's F'g criminal really.

I hear ya. Another reason to hold out for not a cent less than full retro. I am not a cheerleader for AMFA by any means. You think you have it bad by not getting full profit sharing? Try hitting the street on strike and not getting your job back after almost 20 years and starting over at the bottom at a new company at 42 years old like I did. The problem is not AMFA it is the Railway Labor Act and the National Mediation Board and it's classification of A@P mechanics. The companies use the rules of the RLA to drag out contracts til everyone is beat down and will jump at a meager signing bonus. It's F'g criminal really.
Basically every union has become a business, and some are better than others. I have lost job in bankruptcy and started over, when I was at Midway Airlines.

This is a first in over 5.5 years. The mediator has set the 9th and 10th for continuing nego's and she has also indicated that all parties need to prepare to stay late and for the rest of the week to finalize and get it done. Why hasn't these kind of schedules been made in the past? Glad to see it but should have been scheduled for each week in the past and we would have an agreement by now. Maybe April will be our month. Hopefully McCrady will remain OUT of the nego's this time.

NMB Meeting Notice to Resume Mediation with Southwest Airlines
March 15, 2018 -- Mediator Cathy McCann will continue mediation conferences with AMFA and Southwest Airlines in Dallas, TX on April 9-10, 2018.
Download: 20180315_Mtg_Notice_for_NMB_Case_A-13790_SWA_ AMFA.pdf