WN Mechanics seek mediation

I think it's obvious they don't want to work anymore.
Then my suggestion is regardless if it fails or passes, they all be replaced. If it fails then they will have to work for a living under the 2012 wages, and maybe they will understand people's frustration. Especially this obvious we don't care when you vote purposely dragging it out mentality.

Here's the unions update of the T/A. Pretty good detail of each and every article changes or no changes.
Now we wait for the RS's.

AMFA - SWA AMT Negotiating Committee Meeting Notice
July 6, 2018 -- On April 10, 2018, AMFA and Southwest announced an Agreement in Principle (AIP) on a new five year Agreement. The AMFA Committee has been working with the Company over the last ten weeks drafting the new language, and we now have a Tentative Agreement (TA) ready for membership consideration. The full TA has been emailed to each member’s Southwest email for review.
Download: AMFA 2018 Highlight Sheet SWA TA June 27 2018 - Final.pdf , AMFA_SWA_AMT_Neg_Road Show Schedule_2018 R1.pdf

Reactions: B737 driver
The highlight sheet doesn't seem to match the company "redlined" (green text) TA. Is there a real redlined TA out there?

Highlight Sheet:

Example:Article 2 Scope *Paragraph 5, Language deleted for implementation of fourth line.

Company provided "Redlined CBA"
5. Southwest Airlines Mechanics will continue to perform the existing four (4) Heavy lines that are currently being conducted at Southwest Airlines facilities. Upon reaching a net fleet size of 621 airplanes the Company will add a fourth line of heavy maintenance. In the event aircraft are acquired as result of an acquisition of an airline or entity the Company and AMFA will meet to discuss the impact that such acquisition would have on the implementation of the fourth line of heavy maintenance. The Company and AMFA will also mutually agree on measurements that pertain to quality, span and man-hours that must be met in the existing three Heavy lines to preserve the intent of this Agreement prior to implementing and maintaining the fourth line of heavy maintenance.

Last edited:
Isn't it interesting that the released company version of the tentative agreement only shows the added language in green and does NOT show existing language that was removed with a line through it. That is how it should be shown so everyone can see what has been stricken from the book. It is so obvious they are hiding what was removed and don't want it highlighted.

Isn't it interesting that the released company version of the tentative agreement only shows the added language in green and does NOT show existing language that was removed with a line through it. That is how it should be shown so everyone can see what has been stricken from the book. It is so obvious they are hiding what was removed and don't want it highlighted.

You are correct. The company green letter version is not showing language removed. Another instance pointed out to me by a coworker is Article 9 paragraph 12 dealing with union members temporarily filling supervisor positions. It has been completely removed and put into Article 24 paragraph 23 and reworded to remove the 75 calendar day maximum before losing seniority. It now states no maximum day limit or loss of seniority.

Last edited:
Reactions: B737 driver
You are correct. The company green letter version is not showing language removed. Another instance pointed out to me by a coworker is Article 9 paragraph 12 dealing with union members temporarily filling supervisor positions. It has been completely removed and put into Article 24 paragraph 23 and reworded to remove the 75 calendar day maximum before losing seniority. It now states no maximum day limit or loss of seniority.
However if you read the new language they have to back fill that position everyday , so someone will get overtime for as long as the company uses that temp supervisor, we did not have that before. The language is still the same for supervisors if they lay them off, they can't use their seniority to bump a union member.

However if you read the new language they have to back fill that position everyday , so someone will get overtime for as long as the company uses that temp supervisor, we did not have that before. The language is still the same for supervisors if they lay them off, they can't use their seniority to bump a union member.

Sometimes, money is not the most important issue.

Reactions: swamt
Sometimes, money is not the most important issue.
True but we ask for full section 6, and if you read AMFA updates they brag about keeping scope, and in their updates saying minor language changes, and the only reason they don't Recommend this is Money. If it is voted down. The language we have in this T/A will stay. The economics may change some, but this will be our language. This is what we have paid in dues money, plus all the legal fees, for this. Our negotiating committee produced this after 6 long years. I am frankly tired of the whole back and forth. Don't drag it out, if we vote it down, we vote it down.

Not necessarily
If you want more money from base pay, to what full retro, and your original language , you end up in full mediation talks only getting 2 days a month. No one will take a strike vote. It takes two sides to negotiate a contract. You can disagree if you want but read all the updates. Even Brett talks about economics, not scope. So we would be 7 to 8 years for these changes you are complaining about. You can't get everything you want in a contract, or you never get a contract. If want to be mad, get mad at the AMFA negotiating committee, this is what they brought back.

If you want more money from base pay, to what full retro, and your original language , you end up in full mediation talks only getting 2 days a month. No one will take a strike vote. It takes two sides to negotiate a contract. You can disagree if you want but read all the updates. Even Brett talks about economics, not scope. So we would be 7 to 8 years for these changes you are complaining about. You can't get everything you want in a contract, or you never get a contract. If want to be mad, get mad at the AMFA negotiating committee, this is what they brought back.

Who's mad?

The language changes are terrible and will have an effect on the membership for a long time! Just look at the at the way arbitration will be done! A total disaster. This isn't just about us. It's about the future of mechanics at swa. Anyone that votes yes for this pos is a fool!

The language changes are terrible and will have an effect on the membership for a long time! Just look at the at the way arbitration will be done! A total disaster. This isn't just about us. It's about the future of mechanics at swa. Anyone that votes yes for this pos is a fool!
Admittedly I have not thumbed thru the entire T/A, matter fact I am only in the first few pages.
Could you explain some of the language changes that are changing so drastically? I know of a few from the highlights, but I never go by any highlights rather from co. or union, I read it for myself in the T/A word for word then decide from there. Just wondering if you would point out some that you have discovered as I could look for them and compare and discuss. Thx for any input.