WN Mechanics seek mediation

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines/Airtran Airways' started by WNMECH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

BTW if between 75 to 80% of your Company's Maintenance expense goes toward outsourced work and AA only has 35% going towards that does that concern you in any way shape or form?

Don't you think that's just a little too much and kind of a well IGM so what do I care attitude if you are in the house at SWA?

Did you have an application on file at SWA for years before you got in?

2. swamt

swamt Veteran

Well said sir. Good to see others confirm what I have been saying. Agree 100% about not changing unions. Teamsters tried twice (don't know if you were here for both tries from teamsters) and the TWU even tried I believe it was after the first teamster try and all 3 times they were all sent packing extremely quickly. Funny you mention Jim. When we heard he was leaving we knew what was coming down the pike. Sokol saw the writing on the wall. I have even heard from a very good source that this new regime was laying out what they wanted Sokol to do so chose to retire and refused to do it to the mechanics. Timco got a fine President for their company, and I wish Jim the best.

3. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

Ever think about going with the IBEW? 4 and a half years is over 1600 days without a new contract. You're not getting any younger in case you haven't realized.

4. Birdman

Birdman Veteran

I think the MBA's in companies should have the right to run the business as they choose and the free market, and BOD's, will dictate whether they remain employed. Outsoucing falls within the guidelines of running a company and unions can only dictate outsourcing guidelines through contract language if the company will agree to it. IMO, a unions job is to bargain in good faith for better pay and benefits, stressing to its members the importance of being a productive and disciplined workforce. The latter is called job protection.
    you think that's just a little too much and kind of a well IGM so what do I care attitude if you are in the house at SWA?
    How much is out of my control. BTW, one of the main sticking points in negotiations is contract language that could possibly adversely affect the number of mechanics the company will employ in the future.

you have an application on file at SWA for years before you got in?
    No, but this is just an explanation that someone might find beneficial. I watched for mechanic job postings here:
    https://www.southwest.com/html/about-southwest/careers/positions.html
    and applied every time a mechanic posting appeared. It's always a very short window of opportunity as job postings often come and go within days. They have so many applicants they probably won't call you if you simply have an application "on file". That's what I did, twice. Another tip is if you know someone working here have them put in a good word for you when you apply.

5. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

Thank you man. Great responses. To a degree I agree with you on the Market comment. But the market always wants to lower our costs to gain more understandably for them. I think we should as a collective unit push the market at least a little to gain better than what they want.

And if you guys continue to hold firm on jobs for the future you've absolutely gained my admiration.

I know too many that could give a flying RA about that.

It should all be about the "balance"

6. swamt

swamt Veteran

Hey guys, for you who do not get registered emails from your local pls goto the unions web site as there is an update about the survey that was emailed and mailed out. Do the nego's comte. a favor and fill this survey out. Speak your mind and tell them what is most important to you, it will help them going forward as soon as the next nego's sessions set for April 17-21. The email response would be the quickest to get it back to them. Pretty important time to get involved on a very important issues your contract...

7. swamt

swamt Veteran

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. swamt

swamt Veteran

Just as I thought, the full week went right out the window. And also as I thought, no movement what-so-ever. Don't let the statement about the company liking the idea AMFA had about the big scope change. They just wanted to have an excuse to shut down nego's for the week and left wide open the option of backing out of it saying they have to run it all by their upper leaders back in Dallas. Whatever happened to bringing those folks TO THE F-KING TABLE?? We have our decision makers there, why doesn't the co. have theirs? We sat idle for 6 dam months since Oct of 16.
    To our nego team at the table, keep up the good work, don't just cave to the companies request. It is obvious they (the co.) are trying to ware you guys down with all these stall tactics. Well like the membership has said we can wait 10 years if need be, and they will need a contract long before that for the new maint. coming in. Here's the latest;

AMFA - SWA TECHNICIAN NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE #55

9. Birdman

Birdman Veteran

While my frustration level has not reached the boiling point I too can wait. Scope is a very high priority but so is paid rest (which the company has made no effort to compromise on) and an acceptable economic package. It will be interesting to see what the membership deems important in the survey.

10. swamt

swamt Veteran

Yea I too would be interested in the survey results my self. I am hoping most will be patient as well. Agree with you on the scope being very high on the list. I still really think the co. still thinks they can buy ($) the scope language THEY want. The economic package really needs to be adjusted and increase as we go longer and longer. That 20% (bonus) is no longer valid to any where close to what retro would now equal for the past, let's just say 5 years now (Aug 16th 2017) The 14% snap up is no longer valid either. If you take each and every single hour you have worked from Aug 2012 to Aug 2017 including O/T, 401K, matches and other variables, our bonus (or retro in my mind) offer should be more like 50K. I am not kidding, do the math yourself. The 20% is a freakin joke now, slap in the face. Use the average of 3% rule and do the math, it will astound you. Hell the co. gave dead Pilots and their family members full retro. Where the hell is ours? Don't you just love that our CEO just got yet another raise or an increase from 15 to 16? May 1-4 will be no different and a matter fact they will end up going backwards when the co. comes back in and say nope, sorry, but your last suggestion just does not work out for us on the cost side and we will remain at our last hold out of NOT MOVING. Why aren't the mediators stepping up and requesting the co's side to move? Instead they just sit back and suck up all that mediator money flowing. I say replace them, fire them and request new ones. At this point I do not care how long that would delay nego's cause the co. is doing a fantastic job at that now anyway. 5 year pay freeze just like Kelly wanted.