WN Mechanics seek mediation

I praise the TWU for sending the letter directly to the top. Our TWU F/A's did the same at SWA and I praise and thank them for doing so. It just shows that everyone that flies supports our Aviation Maintenance Technicians throughout the industry and we thank you all for your support. Below is the article on F/A's letter to our CEO. And we await his response as the spokeswoman has indicated is coming.

AAL
LUV
American City Business Journals • Wed 2:40 PM
Southwest Airlines flight attendants sound alarm about safety culture

Reactions: B737 driver
I praise the TWU for sending the letter directly to the top. Our TWU F/A's did the same at SWA and I praise and thank them for doing so. It just shows that everyone that flies supports our Aviation Maintenance Technicians throughout the industry and we thank you all for your support. Below is the article on F/A's letter to our CEO. And we await his response as the spokeswoman has indicated is coming.

AAL
LUV
Good to see the TWU help us, it also helps the F/A contract, comes due this year, they are also in negotiations. Might be what gets the company to move before they get ETOPS.

Reactions: swamt
Good to see the TWU help us, it also helps the F/A contract, comes due this year, they are also in negotiations. Might be what gets the company to move before they get ETOPS.
We all hope so.
The F/A's as well as the Pilots have supported us thru-out our entire nego's and we will do the same when called upon by them if need be 100%.
Not trying to argue here but I personally don't think it has anything to do with their upcoming nego's. To me it was the fact that the co. needs to address the issues at hand with the safety culture and also showing their full support for our maint. techs. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see something from our Pilots group too. May not be in a news article or anything like that but I would expect a letter to our union leaders showing their support.
This issue is where the entire industry should come together and fully support, especially, support behind those mechanics that came forth and risked everything to bring this out. Kudos to them...

Today starts round 2 at the table. I wish them luck and hope for movement towards an agreement...

AAL
LUV

But I’m sure that soon enough you’ll forget all about the camaraderie shown between the two Unions and once again commence your attack back over in our house (threads)

I don’t think you can resist yourself.

AAL
LUV

I missed this swamt and I hope in the future you stop doing it.

Here at 10 AM you thank and praise the TWU

THEN at 10:30 AM you throw criticism at the TWU on the AA Boards?

There absolutely is something wrong and dishonorable about this type of behavior.

I missed this swamt and I hope in the future you stop doing it.

Here at 10 AM you thank and praise the TWU

THEN at 10:30 AM you throw criticism at the TWU on the AA Boards?

There absolutely is something wrong and dishonorable about this type of behavior.
I personally just want to get a deal done, and move on, and build up some more for retirement. I just want whatever union can get the deal done, and not give the store away. Every union has their good and bad.

I personally just want to get a deal done, and move on, and build up some more for retirement. I just want whatever union can get the deal done, and not give the store away. Every union has their good and bad.

F8FE3C7A-DD7B-409E-AC4A-BA8DB4012C6C.png

Reactions: B737 driver
At this time I would agree. If they even try to keep us from making extra money (16 hr limit) then they would have to offset with pay. The paid rest issue should not go away. It was designed for the guys that do downlines and overtime. I also think it should stay for those reasons. Now the paid rest that people scam on with day trades and/or overtime call out on purpose will more than likely go away and should. The paid rest language needs to get back to what it was intended for, sending mechs. downline for live aircraft repairs, and mandatory overtime not voluntary sign up and call outs.
Pretty sure the FAA will back the company on the limited shift hours, however 16 cannot work with SWA's current 10 hour schedules, it should be more like what we already have and limit to 20-24 hours max. Paid rest when the co. forces you to stay, like on downlines to finish up aircraft to return to service or when the co. calls for mandatory overtime.
I agree with you that paid rest should not go completely away, however, I do not agree with how some of the guys are scamming the system to benefit themselves. The guys doing this is a very, very small group (%) and I believe the company will be able to get some language changes reflecting a more restrictive hours worked and paid rest rules as the majority of the guys could care less about it. One other group that this will affect big time is our commuters. I would like to see it stay for them, but we can't have it both ways. That's a tough subject, but, it really only hits a very small % of the mechanics.

At this time I would agree. If they even try to keep us from making extra money (16 hr limit) then they would have to offset with pay. The paid rest issue should not go away. It was designed for the guys that do downlines and overtime. I also think it should stay for those reasons. Now the paid rest that people scam on with day trades and/or overtime call out on purpose will more than likely go away and should. The paid rest language needs to get back to what it was intended for, sending mechs. downline for live aircraft repairs, and mandatory overtime not voluntary sign up and call outs.
Pretty sure the FAA will back the company on the limited shift hours, however 16 cannot work with SWA's current 10 hour schedules, it should be more like what we already have and limit to 20-24 hours max. Paid rest when the co. forces you to stay, like on downlines to finish up aircraft to return to service or when the co. calls for mandatory overtime.
I agree with you that paid rest should not go completely away, however, I do not agree with how some of the guys are scamming the system to benefit themselves. The guys doing this is a very, very small group (%) and I believe the company will be able to get some language changes reflecting a more restrictive hours worked and paid rest rules as the majority of the guys could care less about it. One other group that this will affect big time is our commuters. I would like to see it stay for them, but we can't have it both ways. That's a tough subject, but, it really only hits a very small % of the mechanics.
I agree with the paid rest on downlines, and emergency situations, but not just because you play the system and trade into it. But you have to see what the gain is, are the still talking or are they done?

I agree with the paid rest on downlines, and emergency situations, but not just because you play the system and trade into it. But you have to see what the gain is, are the still talking or are they done?
As the weeks and months continue to roll on, that initial (never vote yes on the first offer) offer is looking better, every day. We didn't have a outsourcing or 16 hour bullshit rule to contend with, and here we sit. I hear yesterday's meeting was a joke with some presentation made on outsourcing, and no real negotiating going on. I don't expect much more to of a occurred today while we tick off Feb and See ya suckers in March for another grandstand performance. F/A's and Pilots will probably get another deal before we do.

I could not agree more with you on this. The paid rest for intended purposes of working extra overtime in conjunction with your shift or a downline is helping you and the company. The paid rest that guys are using as a day trading tool so I only have to work half my week and get overtime out of it, is pure BS. Whether people want to acknowledge the fact or not it's not all about just making you rich, it's also about keeping the company making profits while making you extra money. I personally am done with airlines after this gig is up, and I hope to god that we don't (all employees not just mx) don't F this one so bad that we can't all finish our careers here. Personally speaking, I'm thankful I don't have another 30 years to grind out with the working class.

I could not agree more with you on this. The paid rest for intended purposes of working extra overtime in conjunction with your shift or a downline is helping you and the company. The paid rest that guys are using as a day trading tool so I only have to work half my week and get overtime out of it, is pure BS. Whether people want to acknowledge the fact or not it's not all about just making you rich, it's also about keeping the company making profits while making you extra money. I personally am done with airlines after this gig is up, and I hope to god that we don't (all employees not just mx) don't F this one so bad that we can't all finish our careers here. Personally speaking, I'm thankful I don't have another 30 years to grind out with the working class.
It has moved beyond the point of ridiculous, I bet whatever the next deal comes out, it will pass.

Latest posts