WN Mechanics seek mediation

Transport Workers Union supports Southwest Airlines Professional Aircraft Mechanics.

0C8D7622-6775-4F78-880E-E6DEBB2F6A0E.png

Reactions: B737 driver
Their contract is up this year, they know it will take them some time, to negotiate , probably not as long as us, because their shear numbers, can piss a lot of customers off.

driver that show of support came from the TWU “International” Facebook page.

It’s specifically directed to your Group with a thank you also for protecting the safety of the FA’s they represent.

Actually I think they just made this a little clearer now.

The Transport Workers Union supports The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association.

2446ED49-8591-48C6-B444-E5676D9FE46C.png

F470F340-BD48-44BA-AA0D-BD618A9ECDDA.png

D65B146A-50C1-48C5-A600-65BCCD362ADD.png

Something I find interesting, not sure how many of you guys know Lonnie, but this is not the tone of the Lonnie I have known in my dealings with him. This sounds more like Northwest airlines and Landon to me. I have always worked plenty of overtime when my schedule allows it, but if I have to get my kid to day care or pick up from school, and you are gonna fire me because or I have to leave them on the curb. FU

Not to mention the fact, I've personally never seen this kind of response or tone with SWA, and letters, threats coming out. They could of handled this in a much different tone and message than this. If they thought they're was any thread of "Culture" as GK proudly likes to say, they are sadly mistaken. The culture is dead in Tech Ops, and really I thank LN for that.

Last edited:
Something I find interesting, not sure how many of you guys know Lonnie, but this is not the tone of the Lonnie I have known in my dealings with him. This sounds more like Northwest airlines and Landon to me. I have always worked plenty of overtime when my schedule allows it, but if I have to get my kid to day care or pick up from school, and you are gonna fire me because or I have to leave them on the curb. FU

Not to mention the fact, I've personally never seen this kind of response or tone with SWA, and letters, threats coming out. They could of handled this in a much different tone and message than this. If they thought they're was any thread of "Culture" as GK proudly likes to say, they are sadly mistaken. The culture is dead in Tech Ops, and really I thank LN for that.
This guy was the Hackett guy at Northwest, and who was the union AMFA, wake up people. When you get comments that Tech ops is pissing the whole company off not good. Southwest is famous for trying to be nice, then stomp your ass in the dirt. All the other unions recognize this and bargain accordingly. We are not pilots. If your union has such bad animosity with your company , you never get a deal. So two things happen the government let's you just sit there and rot. Or you finally wake up, and get a new union. Or you get what you can , kick the can and move on.

The Ghosts of Northwest rise again.

I don’t believe now that the same circumstances as the past would occur?

For one thing you’re not in Bankruptcy or is there any threat of your Airline going Bankrupt.

And the second thing is it looks to me as if you have the support of just about the entire Unionized workforce at your Airline.

I don’t think anyone is prepared to ever let another NWA like scenario happen ever again in our industry?

Now that’s not to mean even if you did go the next step and ask to be released that the damn NMB would even oblige?

But seriously I was very happy to read that letter that my Union President put out in support and assistance to you guys. It could be a very positive development for you guys?

Point of order: NWA wasn't in BK when the AMTS were locked out. I get your point, though.

I was happy to see the letters you posted from Samuelson, but if WN AMTs are to avoid a repeat of what happened at NW, we really need to see one from 555 and 556.

Point of order: NWA wasn't in BK when the AMTS were locked out. I get your point, though.

Point of order this is from The NY Times. But let’s not argue at this time ok.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/20/business/strike-is-called-by-mechanics-for-northwest.html

I was happy to see the letters you posted from Samuelson, but if WN AMTs are to avoid a repeat of what happened at NW, we really need to see one from 555 and 556.

I believe there have already been many showings of support from those 2 Locals towards AMFA at SWA including letters.

But coming from John Samuelsen himself now is huge IMO.

Last edited:
I don’t believe now that the same circumstances as the past would occur?

For one thing you’re not in Bankruptcy or is there any threat of your Airline going Bankrupt.

And the second thing is it looks to me as if you have the support of just about the entire Unionized workforce at your Airline.

I don’t think anyone is prepared to ever let another NWA like scenario happen ever again in our industry?

Now that’s not to mean even if you did go the next step and ask to be released that the damn NMB would even oblige?

But seriously I was very happy to read that letter that my Union President put out in support and assistance to you guys. It could be a very positive development for you guys?
If SWA management hates AMFA they will try to bargain, and if they want them, gone, not so much the workers , they will get it. The other work groups will not risk their jobs to help us. Just like at Northwest.

That NYT article reiterates what I posted above.

"The $176 million in wage and benefit cuts sought from the mechanics is their share of $1.1 billion in concessions that Northwest has insisted its workers must grant. Otherwise, it will seek bankruptcy protection, something that has already happened at United, US Airways and several small airlines."

They were locked out in August of '05, and NW filed for BK relief after (8/05). The AMTs had terms imposed in December, if memory serves.

At any rate, a public expression of support from 555 & 556 would send a very clear message to WN that workers refuse to repeat history.

As soon as AMFA got their huge raise, Northwest started chopping heads. I believe SWA hates AMFA so much, and the fact AMFA, not the mechanics keep pushing the envelope. They will drive a wedge where we will want them gone to secure a contract. If this continues into next year. Or the mediator and RLA let's us rot, until we pass a contract.

That NYT article reiterates what I posted above.

"The $176 million in wage and benefit cuts sought from the mechanics is their share of $1.1 billion in concessions that Northwest has insisted its workers must grant. Otherwise, it will seek bankruptcy protection, something that has already happened at United, US Airways and several small airlines."

They were locked out in August of '05, and NW filed for BK relief after (8/05). The AMTs had terms imposed in December, if memory serves.

“DETROIT, Saturday, Aug 20 - Mechanics at Northwest Airlines walked off the job early Saturday, after their union and the airline failed to agree on the company's demand for $176 million in wage and benefit cuts. The strike was the first major labor disruption in the airline industry since 1998”

Walked off the job. Not locked out. If those Mechanics were locked out then there wouldn’t have been several hundred of them that scabbed.

But completely irrelevant at this time.

At any rate, a public expression of support from 555 & 556 would send a very clear message to WN that workers refuse to repeat history.

At any rate, I’m sure AMFA National Director Bret Oestreich and the AMT’s of SWA have already received that support and if you’re asking little old AA Baggage Handler me to try and pull it off, I’m sorry I don’t bother, pester or push myself into their business off these Boards.

If they need more as TWU President John Samuelsen stated, all they need to do is ask (Him)