WN Mechanics seek mediation

With 48 hour restriction. I would like to think it was to prevent overwhelming those who input trade forms but I fear it was to keep their option open to once again selectively abrogate part of our contract. Regardless of how negotiations go this week this blatant and illegal "job action" against our contract must be addressed and these actions should be met with staunch resistance from all unionized workgroups at SW.
Grev's need to start flying on the 48 hour rule. There is nothing in the contract about 48 hrs and day trades are covered by the contract, they can't just start making up rules about anything that the contract covers.
Pretty sure the Reps are getting involved. But really they can do for now is file grev's.

Probably why the lawsuit was filed against SWA. But I am sure a T/A produced and ratified , will be all lawsuits are null and void including grievances.
Pretty sure it will be requested, but AMFA needs to tell them no. That's why they are so badly going against the contract right now, so that they will request that all grev's and, you might be right, they may even try to get all lawsuits removed as well with a new T/A or contract voted in.

Things are quiet. I have only heard that things are going well. So as far as I am concerned, that's an improvement from the past. Stay positive and stay strong, we will get the updates at the end of the 3 days.
Also hearing of very positive reports about the "new guy" at the table. Maybe he will be the hero. I damn sure hope so.
Heard they were working very late as well, another positive point.
Have no idea if any offers have been passed across the table. Maybe they are, and discussing them.

Things are quiet. I have only heard that things are going well. So as far as I am concerned, that's an improvement from the past. Stay positive and stay strong, we will get the updates at the end of the 3 days.
Also hearing of very positive reports about the "new guy" at the table. Maybe he will be the hero. I damn sure hope so.
Heard they were working very late as well, another positive point.
Have no idea if any offers have been passed across the table. Maybe they are, and discussing them.
I have heard the same thing. It blows me away that a company like swa has no one to help negotiate in good faith for all these years.
I guess Nitschke would be to blame for all of this. He did say from the beginning he was hands off with negotiations. His shelf life is probably about to expire.

Reactions: swamt
I like what I see from this video () as he says "I may be a Vice President by title, but I'm a mechanic at heart". My concern is he was lured from Alaska from the same team that brought an end to another "mechanic friendly" Vice President Jim Sokol to be used and discarded. We all know Russell McCrady is dishonorable by taunting we poor mechanics for not being allowed to vote only to treat us with contempt for not voting his way. Perhaps he's just a pawn in the grand scheme of things as well. Time will tell but we all know this team of TechOps management has burnt a bridge that cannot be rebuilt nor do I think they care.

Last edited:
Reactions: B737 driver
I like what I see from this video () as he says "I may be a Vice President by title, but I'm a mechanic at heart". My concern is he was lured from Alaska from the same team that brought an end to another "mechanic friendly" Vice President Jim Sokol to be used and discarded. We all know Russell McCrady is dishonorable by taunting we poor mechanics for not being allowed to vote only to treat us with contempt for not voting his way. Perhaps he's just a pawn in the grand scheme of things as well. Time will tell but we all know this team of TechOps management has burnt a bridge that cannot be rebuilt nor do I thing they care.
I couldn't agree more.

I like what I see from this video () as he says "I may be a Vice President by title, but I'm a mechanic at heart". My concern is he was lured from Alaska from the same team that brought an end to another "mechanic friendly" Vice President Jim Sokol to be used and discarded. We all know Russell McCrady is dishonorable by taunting we poor mechanics for not being allowed to vote only to treat us with contempt for not voting his way. Perhaps he's just a pawn in the grand scheme of things as well. Time will tell but we all know this team of TechOps management has burnt a bridge that cannot be rebuilt nor do I thing they care.

Watched the entire video. Now I understand why is so well liked by both sides. He understands us, been there, done that. He also understands the company side, and he's right, it is a huge task to balance the two, and now he is in a position here to do this with all our frontline employees. He said it, a mechanic can be so "super" efficient until, NO PARTS AVAILABLE!!! Then the a/c sits until "0" bin stock is replenished.
I feel even more optimistic now. He really does understand us and will be able to work very well with our nego's at the table. He will understand that they are not just blowing smoke about issues at hand, he will understand. Pretty sure he will fully understand our hesitations on the international outsourcing too. With him at the table will be the time to get that issue understood to the rest of the group. McCrady won't even understand all our issues about IO. Kinder will have to educate all of them in that.

Reactions: Birdman
I couldn't agree more.
Finally someone who will listen to us and hear us. It really does appear this guy is not just lip service. This maybe a little premature, but, At this point I say Gary made a good move putting this man in charge of our nego's.
If you watched the entire video, this is the man that signed off on the flight 261 at Alaska. He knows what it is like to put your reputation out there for the people that fly. He understands that we fly the aircraft once in the air (AP) and before landings. He knows the value of the A&P plain and simple.
He's already stepped on some toes with maint. leaders. So far he has done what he said he was gonna do starting with Mondays lift of the SOE.
Even IF this is not completely done this week, I would be willing to give him a little more time to work it out. Afterall, he was brought straight into a hornets nest. It will be hard work to settle down all the pissed off hornets trying to save and protect the Queen (get it?) He does. He will make positive movements IMO. Give him a chance...

Watched the entire video. Now I understand why is so well liked by both sides. He understands us, been there, done that. He also understands the company side, and he's right, it is a huge task to balance the two, and now he is in a position here to do this with all our frontline employees. He said it, a mechanic can be so "super" efficient until, NO PARTS AVAILABLE!!! Then the a/c sits until "0" bin stock is replenished.
I feel even more optimistic now. He really does understand us and will be able to work very well with our nego's at the table. He will understand that they are not just blowing smoke about issues at hand, he will understand. Pretty sure he will fully understand our hesitations on the international outsourcing too. With him at the table will be the time to get that issue understood to the rest of the group. McsCrady won't even understand all our issues about IO. Kinder will have to educate all of them in that.
Swampy I think Hatchet man LN is probably gone, especially if he overplayed his hand on making guarantees to Gary Kelly. He will be just as much blamed as causing the bad blood, and getting the wrath of the mechanics.SWA will want positive news, especially if the FAA bows to pressure and grounds the Max fleet .Till Boeing rewrites the software for the MCAS system.

Well Ge
Swampy I think Hatchet man LN is probably gone, especially if he overplayed his hand on making guarantees to Gary Kelly. He will be just as much blamed as causing the bad blood, and getting the wrath of the mechanics.SWA will want positive news, especially if the FAA bows to pressure and grounds the Max fleet .Till Boeing rewrites the software for the MCAS system.
Well gentlemen Trump grounds Max fleet, so it begins.

Well Ge

Well gentlemen Trump grounds Max fleet, so it begins.
I hope like hell this won't impede, derail, stall, whatever our what seems to be some positive things happening with negotiations. My next thought is who's going to reimburse all of the cancelled flights due to the max on the ground, will Boeing or do we eat this. Let's face it, this is not good, let's also hope this is very very very temporary. I gotta feeling our first quarter this year could be our first loss in a long time.

There's nothing SW can do about the grounding until the FAA gives clearance. Negotiations, on the other hand they have control over. It would be in their best interest to see this through promptly as it has caused a monumental distraction to getting their maintenance program under control.

There's nothing SW can do about the grounding until the FAA gives clearance. Negotiations, on the other hand they have control over. It would be in their best interest to see this through promptly as it has caused a monumental distraction to getting their maintenance program under control.
This will definitely bring the other out of service, aircraft priority. I am sure SWA will put pressure on Boeing to resolve it. You remember when American lost that DC 10 in Chicago, they sued McDonnell Douglas and got all those MD 80s cheap.

34 planes grounded, ETOPS ready to start, SWA wants to squeeze 250 or so more flight a day into the new schedule, the mechanics are pissed. Yeah, I think karma is at work. Imagine if this weeks negotiation turns into a turnip.