WN Mechanics seek mediation

Yeah, just saw the company email myself. And no disrespect was meant about no communication sent out last night, just members are starving for information here.
Amfa update http://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/...le.cfm&HomeID=747531&page=Southwest20Airlines
Both sides keeping their cards close to their chest , no name calling must be close. The only thing I can figure out just guessing is the I.O. Our local 4 meeting is next week March 21. Does anyone know if both sides have a gag order?

I’ll have to admit I’m STUNNED that dispite the fact all the people in the room had the authority to bring this to a conclusion..............DIDNT!!!!

Reactions: B737 driver
I’ll have to admit I’m STUNNED that dispite the fact all the people in the room had the authority to bring this to a conclusion..............DIDNT!!!!
I’m not stunned at all and neither should you be. The folks in that room work for GK. They are lasered focused to get a deal done within the budget GK allows. A few years back we were told we don’t have the leverage, remember? Well, what I want to say about that I won’t on a public forum. Either way it sounds like they are getting close. I’ll be curious to see the results.

Would be interesting to see which side threw a curve ball, but who knows.I will say that is the briefest updates I have ever seen!

Last edited:
Company just put out an email finished talking at 3:15 .Said both sides were closer , and were going to set up more sessions soon. Hope to wrap it up soon, any updates from AMFA yet?
I have read both updates. And both seem to be positive, short and to the point.
One of our National Officers have said they are stuck on the IO, and I believe that is the only item left. So maybe, just maybe, since they can fully focus on the IO next round, it can get done.

Yeah, just saw the company email myself. And no disrespect was meant about no communication sent out last night, just members are starving for information here.
Amfa update http://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/...le.cfm&HomeID=747531&page=Southwest20Airlines
Yes. We are all starving for info. especially this time around with all the promises a new folks being added to the meetings. However, also glad to see the NC really spending a lot of time on the IO and not just throwing something together in order to just bring something out to pease the folks screamin for an agreement to come out and vote on (yes, I too am one of them) but still do not want full blown IO with no limits etc.

Now to the AMFA update, starting this quote: " We are encouraged that our efforts have put an agreement within reach, and we are continuing to work on a deal that the members can vote on. We also are in the process of scheduling our next session, should it be needed, and are hopeful we can reach a conclusion to this long negotiation process."
So are they still working at it outside of the nego table to finalize? In the process of scheduling our next session (only one?) "should it be needed" Also tells me they are still working at it as to say if they do get it finalized they won't need that next session. Conclusion soon we all hope, but at least they are diligently working to protect the membership as a whole.

Also
Both sides keeping their cards close to their chest , no name calling must be close. The only thing I can figure out just guessing is the I.O. Our local 4 meeting is next week March 21. Does anyone know if both sides have a gag order?
take note of no media blast this time around either. Only updates on company email and union official.
That looks and is so much more professional than before. Looks like this Kinder fella made a big difference in my eyes.

I'm disappointed but not stunned. This was the first 3 day session discussing IO, the last time they met, hardly any time was spent on it. IO will be hard for the union to pass off on.

I have read both updates. And both seem to be positive, short and to the point.
One of our National Officers have said they are stuck on the IO, and I believe that is the only item left. So maybe, just maybe, since they can fully focus on the IO next round, it can get done.
I am guessing Swampy they are running the numbers cost wize, and yes have language to protect people's jobs.

Yes. We are all starving for info. especially this time around with all the promises a new folks being added to the meetings. However, also glad to see the NC really spending a lot of time on the IO and not just throwing something together in order to just bring something out to pease the folks screamin for an agreement to come out and vote on (yes, I too am one of them) but still do not want full blown IO with no limits etc.

Now to the AMFA update, starting this quote: " We are encouraged that our efforts have put an agreement within reach, and we are continuing to work on a deal that the members can vote on. We also are in the process of scheduling our next session, should it be needed, and are hopeful we can reach a conclusion to this long negotiation process."
So are they still working at it outside of the nego table to finalize? In the process of scheduling our next session (only one?) "should it be needed" Also tells me they are still working at it as to say if they do get it finalized they won't need that next session. Conclusion soon we all hope, but at least they are diligently working to protect the membership as a whole.
Almost sounds like they had an AIP, and had to back off, because of trying to get clarification on language changes, maybe letting the attorney and economist run over it, to see there are no grey areas to bite us in the butt.

Reactions: swamt
Interesting the verbiage they use with, we are in the process of scheduling our next session, SHOULD IT BE NEEDED???? Maybe just tired, so I don't want to read into that. Hoping it will be much sooner than the end of April. But sounds like a turnaround from previous meetings, and the only thing really changed I would think is Kirk there, so hats off for keeping all heads cool for this meeting.
Forgive me, but I already started reading into it. I too took it the same way you did. Words can mean so much at this point.
Maybe the next session won't be needed. Maybe chance to have something before April if they are still working it out away from the table. Our next meeting is set for 28th of Mar. Find out more then...

Almost sounds like they had an AIP, and had to back off, because of trying to get clarification on language changes, maybe letting the attorney and economist run over it, to see there are no grey areas to bite us in the butt.
Very well could be. I like your scenario. Also remember, they may have touched near what Gary said is the budget and Kinder also said before going in, he has a budget from Gary with full authority to make decisions and changes unless we get close to or touch on the budget limit then Gary would have to give the approval. Something to that effect.

I will say again, most I talk to don't care to draw a line in the sand over IO. They can take it anywhere in the world they want to, will be 100% responsible for the outcome, and the union will not be held accountable for "letting" the company do business as they see fit. The notion that only Americans should work on our fleet is unrealistic considering SW's business plan will only budget so much for maintenance and the rumor, if true, that United outbid SW for 4 lines of maintenance at AAR would prove that point. We don't know the specifics of discussions but enough information is out that we can surmise our NC is trying to keep as much work in house for current mechanics while preserving our quality of life at our current stations. A mechanic who spoke with Bret was told discussions could be ongoing even without face to face negotiations and that there was indeed a gag order on specifics. Lets enjoy our weekends and hope this distraction will come to an end soon.

Reactions: D7571987
I will say again, most I talk to don't care to draw a line in the sand over IO. They can take it anywhere in the world they want to, will be 100% responsible for the outcome, and the union will not be held accountable for "letting" the company do business as they see fit. The notion that only Americans should work on our fleet is unrealistic considering SW's business plan will only budget so much for maintenance and the rumor, if true, that United outbid SW for 4 lines of maintenance at AAR would prove that point. We don't know the specifics of discussions but enough information is out that we can surmise our NC is trying to keep as much work in house for current mechanics while preserving our quality of life at our current stations. A mechanic who spoke with Bret was told discussions could be ongoing even without face to face negotiations and that there was indeed a gag order on specifics. Lets enjoy our weekends and hope this distraction will come to an end soon.
Thanks Birdman I thought it was a Gag order., Have a great weekend!

Also

take note of no media blast this time around either. Only updates on company email and union official.
That looks and is so much more professional than before. Looks like this Kinder fella made a big difference in my eyes.
Agreement in Principle reached gentlemen read your Company Email s